I Like My New Droid...mostly!

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
...since the device is google powered, you might have a better experience if you either make the switch, or let gmail handle your email accounts. you can setup gmail to use an external POP3 account as your default account, but still use gmail for the push.

Pay careful attention to this advice! I've been using gmail for several years as a repository for my Exchange Outlook email as well as some other little used POP3 accounts. Its threading of conversations takes some getting used to and is sometimes problematic compared to Outlook, but it makes up for all of that with its WONDERFUL search capabilities that Outlook lacks. It also avoids the maddening problems of limits on the archival capacity of Outlook. I have every email I've ever received and almost every one I've sent over the last five years on gmail and I currently use only about 20% of the free space my account allows. All that without ever using gmail as my primary email account.

Now that I have the Droid, I find gmail even more useful. And with the simple synch features of gmail calendar with my outlook calendar there are no lost appointments.

I spent several frustrating years with a Windows Mobile phone primarily to integrate my desktop in my home office with my phone. Within a week I was able to achieve all that integration using gmail and google calendar in a device that offers infinitely more other capabilities.

And the best part was that I did it all without once having to deal with my company's IT department and their balky exchange server. I still get all my exchange email on outlook and calendar notifications from the same source. But they typically come in five to fifteen minutes after google has already updated and my phone has notified me.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes, I do. :)

I consider it a computer, becasue we can modify it, load apps, etc.

I can show you any number of devices which have CPU's, but you cannot alter its programming because it is set in firmware, whilest we have an OS.

My example would be your typical watch calculator.

Not trying to start anything, but by far the Droid is not a phone at heart, but a android operating comouter that can make calls.

I've stated that repeatedly, because taking that approach to the unit precludes the "My last phone used to ... but how can I with the droid?" To which the answer has always been "There's and app for that ..." :icon_ devil:

I hate the term smartphone, grrr.... besides perhaps that term will die if they ever release winmo 7 :)

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes, I do. :)

I consider it a computer, becasue we can modify it, load apps, etc.

I can show you any number of devices which have CPU's, but you cannot alter its programming because it is set in firmware, whilest we have an OS.

My example would be your typical watch calculator.

Not trying to start anything, but by far the Droid is not a phone at heart, but a android operating comouter that can make calls.

I've stated that repeatedly, because taking that approach to the unit precludes the "My last phone used to ... but how can I with the droid?" To which the answer has always been "There's and app for that ..." :icon_ devil:

I hate the term smartphone, grrr.... besides perhaps that term will die if they ever release winmo 7 :)
then technically, according to your definition, a "smartphone" (or any phone) does not apply as computer. you can think that you're making changes to the files on the ROM, but since they exist in ROM, they are only changing in temporary space. a factory reset or complete power loss will wipe everything you've done.

in contrast, i can alter the programming on my vehicle's ECU and take said ECU OUT of the car and LEAVE it out of the car, and it will have retained all of my changes.

OP
B

bluethunder

Reaction score
Wow! I started this thread w/ some comments abt my limited experience w/ the Droid.

First, I appreciate the comments/suggestions on how to improve my experience w/ the Droid.

Second, in my case, I need a smartphone like I need another hole in my head. My old RAZR served my needs well, as I am retired. The only reason I got a Droid is because my wife said one of us, meaning me, needed to stay up w/ current technology. I like learning abt things and have enjoyed my limited experience w/ the Droid.

I will, no doubt, have more questions/comments as I continue to explore the capabilities of the Droid. So, chill, Guys, and let's all play nice.