I left the droid bandwagon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mustangdroid

Reaction score
So after so much thought and some comments from my boss, I upgraded to the iPhone 5s. At first I wasn't impressed and wanted to go back but after a couple of days of usage I'm not going back to android. I'll probably come back if Motorola comes out with a game changer. So far the pros of he iPhone vastly outstrips the cons. One huge pro is how fast the browser is compared to androids, holy crap. Sometimes when I hit go, it instantly loads the page. Phone runs much more smoother and apps open very fast. I like he UI and Siri. No lagging or freezing like I was having on my droid maxx hd. The camera is awesome.

Some of the cons that I have is that the screen is a little too small, battery life not as good as my maxx hd and that I can't just drag files to my iPhone without having to use I tunes. I'm a first time iPhone user and I don't really see why people would say android is better than iOS.
Thanks for the help I got from y'all at one point.

hradek422

Reaction score
I've never understood the point of these posts. I don't know if you're trying to just convince people that the iPhone is better than Android, or if you're looking for someone to reason with you and explain why Android is better. In my honest opinion, you came from a Droid RAZR Maxx HD..... that's not a top-of-the-line Android phone. I know, it had okay specs, and a lot of people bought it... that doesn't mean it's the best Android had to offer. Apple makes one phone, the iPhone. It is their best phone, because it's their only phone. So you take the best of Apple, and compare it to something other than the best of Android? That's not how it should work. I've got the Galaxy Note 3. I've played around with an iPhone 5s......... there's no comparison. At all.

All I'm saying is, if you want a fair comparison between the two different OS, then you need to compare the iPhone vs the very best Android of the same generation. My boss had a Motorola Citrus, and decided to switch to an iPhone because he absolutely hated it. The problem is, people buy garbage phones, and blame the OS for making a crap phone. It's not Android... it's Motorola, or LG, or whoever the manufacturer may be. You buy a phone because it's $20.00 on a 2 year contract, you should be tipped off at the beginning that it's going to be a piece of garbage, or far outdated.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I totally agree, on all points. It really is a matter of comparing apples to oranges. If you had paid as much for most current generation Android phones as an iPhone costs your experience may have been different out of the box. I know quite a few people, (iPhone users) who wish they could use my S4 instead but their company pays for the phone so they have no choice.

hradek422

Reaction score
I totally agree, on all points. It really is a matter of comparing apples to oranges. If you had paid as much for most current generation Android phones as an iPhone costs your experience may have been different out of the box. I know quite a few people, (iPhone users) who wish they could use my S4 instead but their company pays for the phone so they have no choice.

Exactly. My boss has had his iPhone for about 6 months now. He actually just told me the other day ".... so... I think I'm going to switch back to Android... what phone should I get?" So obviously, he's not happy with the iOS experience after just 6 months.

OP
M

mustangdroid

Reaction score
My boss had the note 3, he said the only thing he missed about it was the big screen and the feature of browsing and talking on the phone at the same time. He said the note 3 glitched a lot compared to the iPhone . I'm not trying to convince anyone to abandon android, I'm just sharing my experience with iOS. A lot of people loves to hate iOS but I just wanted to share my experience. I love android and in my opinion, Motorola had the best phones. It's sad that they haven't try to innovate anymore. I never liked samsung even after owning an S3 for a month and then switched back to RMHD.

hradek422

Reaction score
My boss had the note 3, he said the only thing he missed about it was the big screen and the feature of browsing and talking on the phone at the same time. He said the note 3 glitched a lot compared to the iPhone . I'm not trying to convince anyone to abandon android, I'm just sharing my experience with iOS. A lot of people loves to hate iOS but I just wanted to share my experience. I love android and in my opinion, Motorola had the best phones. It's sad that they haven't try to innovate anymore. I never liked samsung even after owning an S3 for a month and then switched back to RMHD.

If his Note 3 was glitchy, he had a defective phone, or it was an app issue that was eating resources. I've had my Note 3 since it was released in October and it hasn't skipped a beat. Hell, I ran it through the dishwasher Monday night (long story, don't ask) for a few minutes. It was drenched inside. I thought it was done. Today, a mere 3 days later, my phone is working perfectly, and STILL not glitching or lagging.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I have had zero glitches with any of my Android phones or tablets. The flexibility of Android can cause some people to be their own worst enemy. The fact that iOS is so locked into Apple keeps people out of trouble. And one more thing, iPhones can be glitchy too but the results aren't as obvious as with Android. I have watched my customers have problems but they didn't even know they were having them due to a lack of error messages. At least Android lets you know. iOS just bails.

With that said everyone has the right to be tied to Apple at the hip.

NOVICE

Reaction score

Assuming you're sincere when you claim to love Android, I'm trying to understand the supposed glitches of the Note 3. I assume you are aware that IOS 7.0 was infamously buggy. A tendency to restart spontaneously, Safari crashing frequently, and on the 5S a problem with the fingerprint reader fading. I'm not particularly critical of Apple in this regard as they accomplished a radical overhaul of their operating system. And the newest update appears to have corrected most of the glitches.

But while the franbois posters at Apple Insider were rationalizing the problems with IOS 7 I had no such problems with lags or crashes with by Note 3.

Your critique did remind me of an Apple Insider who complained that his IPhone 4 was sluggish even with the 7.1 update--though he was still thankful he didn't have an Android. Yeah, he should thank his lucky stars he wasn't cursed with a Note 3 or Galaxy 4 or Moto X or LG 2.

My wife has an IPhone 5 and I think it an exceptional phone--just lacking in some of the features I require in a device.

OP
M

mustangdroid

Reaction score
Assuming you're sincere when you claim to love Android, I'm trying to understand the supposed glitches of the Note 3. I assume you are aware that IOS 7.0 was infamously buggy. A tendency to restart spontaneously, Safari crashing frequently, and on the 5S a problem with the fingerprint reader fading. I'm not particularly critical of Apple in this regard as they accomplished a radical overhaul of their operating system. And the newest update appears to have corrected most of the glitches.

But while the franbois posters at Apple Insider were rationalizing the problems with IOS 7 I had no such problems with lags or crashes with by Note 3.

Your critique did remind me of an Apple Insider who complained that his IPhone 4 was sluggish even with the 7.1 update--though he was still thankful he didn't have an Android. Yeah, he should thank his lucky stars he wasn't cursed with a Note 3 or Galaxy 4 or Moto X or LG 2.

My wife has an IPhone 5 and I think it an exceptional phone--just lacking in some of the features I require in a device.

I have owned android phones since the original Motorola droid came out. I never moved out of Motorola but I did once to get the samsung galaxy s3. I have owned droid 2, x, x2, razr, razr maxx, RMHD and galaxy s3. So yea I love android but mainly Motorola phones.
I haven't had any issues with my iPhone. Safari is super fast, I'm genuinely impressed on how fast it is. Finger scanner works every time for me. I downloaded an update yesterday but didn't see any difference. I have said that once Motorola comes out with a ground breaking phone I will gladly go and buy it. So far they are just playing it safe and not releasing anything new, which it's incredibly disappointing.
From what I have seen , the iPhone 5s is one of the fastest smartphones out there and faster than the galaxy s4.
I wasn't trying to start any fanboy war, just wanted to share my story with iPhone after being with droid for 4 years.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
If the phone, whatever make or model it may be, fits your needs and you're happy with it, then good for you.

No need to beat the OP up about it. He was forced into an iPhone and found out he really likes it. Maybe down the line Android comes with some features he or his company may want and he'll be back on board, but there's no real reason to nitpick at him. He wasn't able to compare the top Android phones to the iPhone, but many aren't given that option or luxury. What's done is done.

Last edited:

hradek422

Reaction score
He wasn't "forced into it." This is his personal phone, he just happened to speak with his boss about it. I'm not "beating the OP up about it," I'm simply expressing my confusion at the post. When things are said such as "I'm a first time iPhone user and I don't really know why people would say Android is better than iOS," that seems like it's trying to either legitimately ask why people would say that, or it's trying to stir something up. In this case, it did a little bit of both.

I simply stated that Motorola is not a top-of-the-line Android device, no matter which way you spin it. In my honest opinion, Motorola hit their peak with the Droid 1. I owned the Droid 1, 2, 3 Global, and 4 before I went to a Galaxy S3 because my Droid 4 went to crap on me after 3 months (as was par for what I had experienced with the 2 and 3 Global). I can honestly say, that the ONLY improvements in any of the 3 phones after the Droid 1 that I had, was that they were slightly faster than the last generation, but with that came sacrificing customization in the way you could with the Droid 1, which now seems to be the standard for Android.

I'm not saying this is a "fanboy" war. I personally don't like iOS. If you do, I don't care, that's your call. I'm just stating the fact that if you compare iPhone to a lesser quality Android device, it's pretty obvious that you're not going to prefer the Android experience over the iOS experience. It's just a simple fact that the Note 3 is one of the top Android devices on the market at this time. Research has proven that, which is why I got the Note 3. My Galaxy S3 that I had for over a year without issue, was still working when I got my Note 3. I just wanted something bigger and better, and I wasn't disappointed. Even placing the Moto X side-by-side with the Note 3, the Note 3 comes out on top, even if just barely.

Again, the whole point to my posts were, if you're going to say iOS is BETTER than Android, and your reasoning is "Because my experience with devices that weren't the same quality, such as the sub-par RAZR MAXX HD" then I'm going to call you out. At least if this was saying "Hey, I had a Moto X, and compared it to the iPhone 5s" then I could see to accept what you have to say. But the logic that was presented was not a fair comparison of the two operating systems. That's the only point I tried to make, and I feel like my argument cannot be refuted.

Again, if you like iPhone better than Android, that's your call. More power to you. And I will feel bad that your experience with a lower-tiered device was what caused you to make that decision.

Last edited:

jimmythegent

Reaction score
Phone runs much more smoother and apps open very fast. I like he UI and Siri. No lagging or freezing like I was having on my droid maxx hd.

LOL your Droid must be defective! I say this and its deemed a defective phone.

IF the rumors are true, and the next iPhone is 4.7" with a 2500mAH battery... SEE YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This phone has nearly gotten me in countless car accidents, when trying to show someone something like a video, the browsers suck and are too slow, Chrome is a joke on this thing, though I must say on a PC I love it and its my default, and yes I know the iPhone5S's internals are far superior to this phones, but still, a "premium device" should last a solid 2-3 years, not a year.

jimmythegent

Reaction score
Oh, I would like to add, that sadly my 4 year old iPod Touch is pretty much on par if not better than the Droid HD. Sad.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Android is not intended to be a simple, monotonous interface. Like someone said, the user tends to be their own worst enemy. With some relatively simple tweaks you can get incredible performance on Android.

But stuff that causes lag and saps resources like widgets and multi-tasking is kind of THE reason to use Android.

I'll never give-up my widgets. An extra half second for a web page to load is a very small trade-off. And thanks to widgets and a couple of readers, I go to the web less and less.

jimmythegent

Reaction score
Sorry for being so blunt, but what kind of idiot tries to show someone a video while he's driving?

Not at the same time. I just meant when driving at times, the super lag would distract me and the road, very dangerous. On another note, why is every time the lag is brought up, the phone is deemed "defective"? The phone is slow, compared to even a 4 year old iPod Touch 4th Gen. The touch screens response time blows chunks. Last night, in between opening pics, it was taking time for them to open, my friends were like "Whats the deal with your phone" and explained it was just an outdated Android phone, when asked how many years old, I said a year and half, they all gazed at me with confused looks, yes, they have iPhones.

Status
Not open for further replies.