i know basics of my D2 but need help!!!

papelet

Reaction score
Hi new family!!! lol

So my new wife is Verizon -for 2 years or longer- our newborn name is DROID2

HELP!!!!
teach me how to use this thing, i know there're a lot of things i don't know about yet.... free tethering, insane themes, that picture thing everybody is talking about, etc, etc, etc!!!!

this is my first droid but i learn fast
thanks!!!!:motdroidvert:

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
:welcome: to the "Family" papelet!! I see you have the droid2 (which I don't have) so I know that the rules are different becuz the boot loader is locked on that model. However, there are things you can do (wifi tether, themes, etc) after you root your phone. To get you started in understanding what you're doing or are thinking about doing, here's a great thread. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/70875-what-you-need-know-about-rooting.html

After you have a basic understanding of the terminology feel free to ask any questions you can't find the answer to in a search! Good luck and it's great to have you with us! :D

OP
P

papelet

Reaction score
Thanks Corinacakes
i spent like 3 hours last night reading about rooting
1 thing i noticed is if i root that means i don't have a warranty anymore
so i'll just wait -at least the first 30 days- and see if i want to trade the D2 or not...
one more thing, Verizon offers a warranty or something for a monthly fee, if i root and something goes wrong, can they reject replacing my phone???

thanks

Dragoro

Reaction score
If they figure out that you rooted, they wont accept your phone for a warranty claim nor for insurance.

OP
P

papelet

Reaction score
Thanks Dragoro, so I guess it makes no sense to pay for insurance if im planing to root

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This is what I recommend; spend at least a week getting use to android and its capabilities with out root. This will help you understand basic things and If your phone is a defect you do not have to go crazy trying to unroot in order to do a warranty exchange. After you have had you device for a week or two and you are sure that you phone is a good phone with no defects, then root that way you do not have to worry about sending it back to vzw unless it gets broken.
Before you root make sure you understand how to unroot. Never do something that can not be undone.
I am not going to tell people to not use rom manager, but If some one suggest to load rom manager with out allowing you to understand how to do it the correct way first then they are leading you in trouble. Make sure you understand how to load a rom through basic recovery first, and make sure you have rsdlite set up and ready to go just in case. After you understand all the basics and you feel you want to use rom manager then do so if you choose.
Personally I do not use rom manager because it is faster for me to download the rom on my laptop, then move it to my sdcard.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/re...shooting-guides-clockwork-recovery-guide.html

droid 2 uses cw recovery, here is a good guide constructed by myself, rola, and Koush (developer of CW recovery). This is a good guide to help you get familiar with cw and help you get out of a jam. This was originally made for the d1, but he methods work for any device running cw. The only thing you need to ignore is the specific roms in the thread.

OP
P

papelet

Reaction score
Pc747 thanks for that!!!
I kinda know how to use the stock rom, but I feel that is not what I spected, I mean look at all those nice phones out there! Is like having a ferrari with a toyota engine- not disresp toyota but u know what I mean-
now, do u have a guide to do it downloading it to the pc?
im running windows7 if that helps, or do I need linux to do it from my pc?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I will post two guides, I used them both and they both work to root.

This method is from droidlife:

How to: Root DROID X Running Official Android 2.2

On 09.22.10, In News, Root (unlock), by Kellex
1diggdigg

Since so many of you are curious about having a rooted device, then you’ll be pleased to know that the Droid 2 rooting method works flawlessly on the official update for the Droid X. In even better news, the crew at XDA Forums have created a semi-1-click method so that you no longer have to use a series of adb commands. You will still have to install the Android SDK, but that’s nothing right?
ALL CREDIT TO DARKONION AT XDA FORUMS FOR THIS!
Instructions:

1. Extract and Update Android SDK package to your computer. (Our instructions here.)
2. Next, extract the files from the DORoot zip file to the tools folder of Android SDK.
(Take them out of the folder they came zipped in and place in tools.)
Ex: C:\android-sdk-windows\tools
3. Install Motorola Drivers: (32-bit or 64-bit)
4. Enable USB Debugging on your phone and plug it into your PC. (Settings>Applications>Development)
5. Double-click and run doroot.bat
6. Let it run.
7. It will let you know if it has finished completely.
8. Reboot your phone and you are rooted!
If these instructions don’t seem all that clear, follow the step-by-step guide which includes adb commands. Our instructional post can be found here.
Enjoy your newly rooted official 2.2 Droid X!

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-hacks/80080-much-simpler-guide-rooting-no-pc-required.html

OP
P

papelet

Reaction score
thanks!!!
i'm gonna learn a little about Linux before i start doing this, hope soon i can be in the elite group