1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

I knew it was too good to last!

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by Jim 777, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

If anyone's noticed on the site, I've made several references to the fact that when I went to v1.0, I gained probably twice the battery life. WHen I went to v1.1 I didn't notice a difference meaning I'm still very happy with the new performance.

Then I thought I'd try to drop the "bling" SetCPU and see if it improved further as I usually left SetCPU at 800 which is what the ROM runs at. Only with a couple days in, I noticed a slight increase in life and was even happier yet.

Then while at work (when I should've been working) I was going through the apps and uninstalling those that I just wasn't using.

When I got to Home++ I uninstalled it and that's when all hell broke loose. I'm running LauncherPro and really like it. Have modded it a bit for that personalization, but when I deleted the Home++ I got the "choose launcher" and LauncherPro was not an option.

So being that I'm at work I opted not to go through and reinstall and make all my changes, so I just booted in to recovery and restored to my last back up (only a few days prior).

Everything looks good, but I quickly notice that the battery life that I was so excited about, has dropped off considerably. Where I'd charge it to 100% and if on standby, it would be 2 hours before seeing 90%, now it's at 90% at about 15 minutes.

Anyone have any idea what could have changed? The only thing I had to change after the restore, was uninstalling setCPU again.

Thoughts?
  2. bill12690

bill12690 New Member

do you have any changes in setcpu you made since then? maybe from ondemand to performance, etc? profiles, anything?
  3. JonDenver'sCopilot

JonDenver'sCopilot New Member

Your battery could be reading at the state from when you made your backup. I've often recovered a phone while at 60% battery life only to be at a near full charge when I completed the nandroid restore. Basically your battery reads the state it was in during the backup, not its actual state. Usually a reboot sets it right though.
  4. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

Eh, did you notice my last line posted? :D
    Uninstalled setCPU as that seemed to be yeilding a bit ore life...

But I've drained it (to like 5%) and gave a full charge since then.
  5. bill12690

bill12690 New Member

sorry, kinda mis-read the first post i guess..
  6. Dmoralize

Dmoralize New Member

Go into the battery use section in settings and select "Cell Standby". See if it says "Time without a signal 50%".

It's done that to myself and others while switching roms or updating. It constantly searches for signal and drains battery.

If it does, set it to airplane mode, plug it into the charger for a minute, unplug it, and turn off airplane mode. Should be back to normal then. It's worth looking at, it was a problem that drained my battery much faster until I found it.
  7. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

You know it's interesting you mention the airplane mode. I've never used it until Saturday night when I woke up late and with my blurry eyes tried to turn the phone off and accidentally hit airplane mode. I just left it and went back to sleep. But I don't see how that would have done anything.

In the battery status, there's nothing about "without signal" in there.

Does putting on airplane mode and charging switch something on or off?
  8. Dmoralize

Dmoralize New Member

It seems to reset the antenna or something. When I first upgraded to 1.1, my phone appeared to be working fine but was apparently searching for signal a lot and wasting battery. I did some research and found that airplane mode trick and i've been back to getting great battery life again.
  9. wricks

wricks Premium Member Premium Member

Don't know if this will help......

Yesterday morning I noticed my GPS would come on for no particular reason and never really connect. I'd open maps, the GPS would lock, close maps and it closed GPS. I'd wake it up an hour or so later and see the GPS was activated again and my battery life had suffered and large hit. This went on most of the morning with my battery draining at a major rate - down to 50% in the span of three hours. Did some checking and remembered that I did the Beautiful Widget upgrade the night before. Checked my settings in BW and found that the "use GPS over network location was checked. Unchecked the box and the GPS has not activated again and battery life is back to normal.
  10. alynch

alynch New Member

Might not apply, depending on a lot of factors, but...

I noticed a nasty battery drain when I first switched to BB 1.0, even with the stock kernel. I tracked it down to the radio constantly chatting to the towers around me.

I updated the PRL, etc via *228, and all was well again. Seems like it was just dumb luck that the two events correlated (ie, unrelated to ROM).

Its a non-destructive/invasive procedure, so its always worth a shot... And its something that I've been told by VZW to do on a regular basis with all of my phones.
  11. J*Bishop

J*Bishop New Member

i had this exact same issue. pissed me off to no end until i figured out it was BW! lol
  12. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

Good find, but unfortunately it is not applicable, but now I know where to look.

Any more details on this? When the option to activate or program phone, where do you go?
  13. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

I looked in the ROM manager to see if there was any updates for the ROM (not expecting to find any) and I went to "Download ROM" and clicked on BB. There was a "Baseband Update" and I'd never installed it. Don't know the intent of the update but now it's running at 1200 (the kernel I installed) instead of 800 and possibly a slight battery increase. Will have to keep an eye on it the next couple of days, but still not where it was.
  14. alynch

alynch New Member

You want the "Update your roaming capabilities" option. #2, if memory serves.

(I have needed to re-activate my Droid before, after a weird series of ROM updates while running DroidMod, but you shouldn't normally need to hit activate. Its the sort of thing you'd do if you if you had a phone that had never been activated in the first place.)
  15. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

guess it couldn't hurt to try it.
  16. alynch

alynch New Member

Yeah, that's my idea with a lot of the weird Droid issues I've had post-official-firmware.

Its a sufficiently complex platform where no single source has all the answers, so strange fixes may sometimes do the trick.

(For instance, I had VZW stumped when I somehow couldn't make a data connection (3G or 1RxTT), and I discovered via the system logs that my Droid was sending a blank username/password on its PPP connect for authentication. Just started being weird one day. Factory reset didn't fix it, but re-applying BB 1.0 after formatting SYSTEM did. Balls!)
Search tags for this page

pppwidget