I keep hanging up on people

el1217

Reaction score
When I am talking on the phone if I move or press my cheek up against the phone I hang up on the person. I had a Storm and was able to install a screen lock so that it wouldn't happen. Is there something similar I can do for the Droid?

Or is a reason that this is happening and some thing I can do to make it stop.

Strangely enough I probably use my phone more for text, and social networking, but when I need to talk on the phone is it not good to keep hanging up on people.

Thanks!

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
There's a proximity sensor that disables the screen when it's near your face. It's known to malfunction with users who have long hair or sideburns. If neither applies to you, then it's possible the sensor is broken, in which case, VZW or Motorola should give you a refurb phone under warranty.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
What should be happening when you place your phone next to your cheek (when on a call) is that the screen should go dark and be unresponsive. It should then light up again when you take the phone away from your cheek. This is controlled by a tiny sensor in the upper right corner of your screen, the so-called "proximity sensor."

If that is not happening, you may be experiencing the "long hair" bug. Some users report that if their hair is between their cheek and the phone it interferes with the proximity sensor's functionality. If that's not the problem, you may have a faulty sensor. (If that is the problem, you may wish to contact Verizon for a replacement phone.)

Otherwise, you might try "Screen Suite" to fix the problem. It includes the lock you're looking for among other features. There is both a free (e.g. trial) and paid version of the application.

OP
E

el1217

Reaction score
I do have long hair...

That is crazy that that would cause the sensor to go crazy. Is there a way to solve the "bug"/

I have had the phone for less than 30 days.
Do you think getting a new phone would solve the issue?

I will look for the Screen Suite as well.

Thanks for your quick response.

droiddollll

Reaction score
Just make sure you put the phone directly on your ear. For the first few days that I had my Droid, I hung up on everyone. Then I read on this forum that my long hair was the problem. HTH!

tkeown

Reaction score
Trick to stop hanging up and muting your phone

A trick I was taught is once you dialed out or answered a call, hit "HOME" and then hit the sleep button.