I keep hanging up on everyone. :(

checker555

Reaction score
I've had my Droid a year now, and I just can't figure out what the problem is. I hang up on people by accident at least 50% of calls. OR accidentally mute it. OR accidentally put it on speaker. I guess this is just from my face bumping the touch screen, but I think it's supposed to be designed NOT to do this. I have experimented with holding the phone to my ear but the body of the phone away from my face, but that is not really tenable. If I relax about it, the body of the phone does rest against my face, leading to very frequent hangups.

I have put up with it for a year for two reasons: (1) I don't actually talk on the phone very much and (2) I love my Droid a ridiculous amount for everything EXCEPT for making phone calls.

So is it me or is something wrong with my phone? And if it's the phone, is this an (Asurion) warranty situation--It's been over a year so the Verizon warranty wouldn't apply. I know, bad on me for not dealing with it sooner.

jimmyg

Reaction score
Not gona lie, happens to me a lot too... but never had any other real issues and like you i don't talk that much on it. guessing the sensor is going bad and it thinks it's away from my face and turns the display back on

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
There was a batch of phones with a bad proximity sensor. On top of that, long hair or sideburns can cause it to malfunction. The phone should disable the screen as it gets near your head, and re-enable it as you pull it away. If it's not, then something's messing with the proximity sensor.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
the proximity sensor is located in the top left corner of the screen, if it's covered the screen will turn off. Hopefully knowing where it is will help you out.:)

temporalshadows

Reaction score
Actually, they changed the proximity sensor behavior in Android 2.2.
In 2.1, as long as you're on a call, the screen turns off while the proximity sensor is blocked (as in, the phone is next to your head).
In 2.2, they disable the proximity sensor if the phone is sideways (or close to sideways). It used to happen to me all the time when I would hold the phone with my shoulder. It's supposed to be a "FEATURE" so that you can do other things while on the phone (such as type) without accidentally turning off the screen.
Personally, I think it's stupid.
CyanogenMod added an option you can turn on if you're having the problem, it's called "Always use proximity". You might be able to yank the APK from a CyanogenMod ROM and use it on other ROMs, I'm not sure. YMMV.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
So is it me or is something wrong with my phone? And if it's the phone, is this an (Asurion) warranty situation--It's been over a year so the Verizon warranty wouldn't apply. I know, bad on me for not dealing with it sooner.
Asurion is an insurance provider. Insurance doesn't cover manufacturing defects -- the warranty does.

xpezdj

Reaction score
My Droid does this to me all the time it really pisses the boss off.

morbidking

Reaction score
download screen suite and try it out

under settings check auto lockduring call

PetRiLJoe

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem as the OP only I have had my phone since April(ish). My only solution so far has been to use a Bluetooth headset. I wish zip didn't have to use one to prevent either muting myself or hanging up on the caller 99% of the time. :(

tcstakes

Reaction score
One solution to accidental dialing and hangups

This helped me a lot! No more hang ups or inadvertent dialing, at least on my end. It is a bit of a pain when needing to enter numbers and such but worth it to me.

Tedd's Droid Tools - Android

mike5529

Reaction score
I have the same problem and it drives me nuts when u are trying to talk to someone and they keep talking over I because they can't hear u. When I look at the screen, the dial keyboard is on there. I have to hit back for it to go away so the person can hear me. I looked at the Ted's tools app that was suggested but that doesn't look appealing. There has to be a way Motorola can fix it.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

tcstakes

Reaction score
I turn off all of the features in Ted's Droid Tools except for the In-Call Screen Guard. The other features may be useful to some but I don't need them.
Of course it would be better to not have a problem at all and I hope the issue is addressed by Motorola but until then, this has stopped me from accidentally muting the phone, dialing with my cheek,starting speaker phone and hanging up which happened no matter how careful I was on every phone I received (sent in for unrelated battery draining issues). At least now I can use my phone as a phone which I do a lot.
The screen does turn off when covered, I have tested that but it seems to come back on for some reason during calls even when I am certain it is against my face and covered. I do have long hair, glasses and I am left handed so perhaps more prone to sensor proximity problems than most.

Last edited:

LS&N

Reaction score
About the same time the 2.2.1 hit, I began having the same problems mentioned above

Took the suggestion to use Ted's Droid Tools and works for me

Thanks for the tip and thanks to Ted for making it

Reaction score
I have this same situation all the time and its so **** anoying!!! I love this phone but honestly, i hate the god danged proximity sensor. From day 1 i have put up with it (which was over 440 days ago) and im about ready to put this phone through my window

K20turbo

Reaction score
My phone automatically locks when I make a call so I wouldn't be able to press anything then if I actually have to press a button I have to unlock

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App