1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

I just unrooted and got OTA 2.1.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by lolfests, Apr 5, 2010.

1. lolfests

lolfests New Member

How can I now get back to a rooted ROM? I mainly wanted to get the official 2.1 OTA because I have been having odd issues with the others. Is it possible to keep the official OTA update and still root?
  2. shmoo

shmoo New Member

Nope its not possible. In order to root you have to go back to 2.0.1 by flashing the .sbf. if you're looking for the OTA re root and look at a custom ROM that was built off of the ESE81 source code.
  3. AnneDroid

AnneDroid Rescue Squad

Did you accept the OTA? If so, you'll have to wait (no one's sure exactly how long) to root it, as the "hole" that was found to root the software in the first place has been closed up. I suspect that a new one (if it exists) will be found... If you refused the update, you can root again.

Too late! ^ shmoo said it better...
  4. RoLa

RoLa New Member

There isn't any way to root the OTA that was issued. The only way as of yet, is to Root 2.0.1 and use the rooted 2.1. Does that make sense? If you allowed the OTA to go through the system., you will have to flash the .sbf file back to 2.0.1 and go from there, This will require reactivation.

EDIT: DAMN IT!!! I type slow
  5. lolfests

lolfests New Member

Damn it! lol I'm just finding all of this out now, ugh. I'm in the process of using the SBF 2.0.1 recovery thing then going to try and root 2.1 with this link.

How To Root Your 2.1 Droid | Android Community

Edit: Could I also just use ROM manager to root my phone? I have the paid version.
  6. calebv2

calebv2 New Member

7. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

Mostly true.

There is also a copy of the 2.1 update that has been modified only to include root access. The rest of the update is unchanged and in binary form (not custom or rebuilt from source). I think Pete over at alldroid packaged the one I saw.

Note: you'll need to be running stock 2.0.1 WITH ROOT to apply that update. You can revert back to 2.0.1 by flashing the sbf, then apply the root update, then apply the hacked 2.1 update. your end result will be a perfectly stock 2.1, with the addition of root access.