1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

I just rooted, now what?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by wirezd, Mar 3, 2010.

1. wirezd

wirezd New Member

I've rooted my droid and it's the same as it was before except for the kernel of course. I tried to use the guide stickied in the help section but it's out of date and many of the download links aren't working. So...any help? I know I have to download a few things and do a nandroid backup before downloading ROMs, can anyone help?

Thanks.
  2. christim

christim DF Super Moderator

What guide did you use to get rooted (or method) and what were your desired end results?

Basically it should progress like this, whether manually or with a tool like dmupdater:

Root
    install sprecovery
    make a backup
    apply rom of choice.

my path was link 1 for root and sprecovery and backup. link 2 for a rom. Link three I haven't had to visit yet:)
  3. wirezd

wirezd New Member

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-help/20687-complete-how.html
    I used this guide. But yeah, I have yet to install sprecovery/make a backup and am unsure of how to do so.

Thanks again.
  4. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

No, the kernel is the same, too. The only thing the root-hack did was install a utility that allows you to get root access.

sholes.info is the site that is down, I assume?

Try the guides on this site. They seem to be the most full and complete of the various guides, and are very geared towards people who are new to phone hacking and linux. You are probably on the "Installing busybox" step right before "Custom Recovery Image".

Start Here | Root Your Droid
  5. wirezd

wirezd New Member

None of the USB debugging required in basically all of those guides is working for me. I can turn it on, but my phone isn't recognized. I downloaded the W7 64bit drivers and the downloader exited listing an error about not recognizing my OS(I'm on W7 64bit).

This is really just turning out to be a complete headache. Is there any way to undo the root without losing any files or is it too late?
  6. christim

It is not too late. Read the first link I have below. There is a link in there that tells you how to get back to stock. Installing sprecovery is easy though, only a few steps in there. Let us know which path you want to take. I'll keep checking this thread and walk you through getting rooted and set up if you want. No usb debugging needed this path either/

To make it easy, the link to unroot is here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/13466-how-back-stock-no-su-no-busybox-etc.html
  7. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

Looks like there are some errors with installing the motorola driver on Windows 7 (which you need to connect with ADB). If you have access to a non-windows7 machine, that may work better.

It *is* possible to do every droid hack known without ever connecting the Droid to a computer or using ADB. The process is much more difficult and you will really want to understand what you're doing in the process. I wrote up instructions on installing the recovery image on this page:

SPRecovery - Droidipedia
  8. christim

Quite true. I have not used ADB and have done just fine without it. The instructions I passed to the OP have him doing steps 9-26 and sprecovery is installed. Those steps work, I did them and they are easy to follow.

I looked at your site. Your steps will not work because you are pointing to information no longer out there. (sholes.info is down). Other than that, the site does have a nice look and feel to it but you do need to keep content up to date. If you want to walk him through it I'll back off because two of us sending different directions will confuse him further.
  9. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

I was just suggesting that it is possible to continue the process without using ADB - but I am not going to walk anyone through that, so feel free to continue with the unrooting - I feel that trying to hack around without ADB is best left for advanced users that understand all the things they are typing (and they likely wouldn't have much problem substituting a different source for a missing file anyway)

The droid wiki site isn't mine, I just posted an article on it because it was there and I thought the information should be out there. I'm not going to bother keeping my article on it updated, though, as the site is completely riddled with spam and whoever is running it isn't doing much to prevent it.
Search tags for this page

my android is rooted now what