I hope this ics gets updated soon.

OP
T

tannins

Reaction score
Islander53 said:
when you open your mail, go to Settings and then Send & Receive

Neither my yahoo mail nor gmail app has that menu item.

Islander53

Reaction score
Neither my yahoo mail nor gmail app has that menu item.

Open your Yahoo mail, click the menu button, then go to settings and you should see receive settings. If that doesn't work, then open up Task Manager hit Refresh and then do a soft reset.

OP
T

tannins

Reaction score
Islander53 said:
Open your Yahoo mail, click the menu button, then go to settings and you should see receive settings. If that doesn't work, then open up Task Manager hit Refresh and then do a soft reset.

Thanks, but we are clearly not using the same version of something. I know where this setting was and where it should be, but it isn't there.

OP
T

tannins

Reaction score
svdroiddude said:
I LOVE my phone on ICS after a factory reset :) :cool:

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

I actually think the factory reset has made things worse. Worse battery, worse connection speeds.

Now I have to try to learn how to flash an update that isn't supposed to be released yet.

Any good links or videos how to do that?

I'm bummed. I used to think my phone was awesome.

OP
T

tannins

Reaction score
And my phone is getting really hot now.
Every app or program is getting hung up.
I'm going to lose it on this phone.

stemo

Reaction score
tannins said:
And my phone is getting really hot now.
Every app or program is getting hung up.
I'm going to lose it on this phone.

You may need to factory reset again. I know I had to reset mine 2x. Mine kept going into boot loop until I did the second reset.

Know all things are good with rezound and ICS

OP
T

tannins

Reaction score
stemo said:
You may need to factory reset again. I know I had to reset mine 2x. Mine kept going into boot loop until I did the second reset.

Know all things are good with rezound and ICS

That's ridiculous. Is this really the process everyone is expected to follow? Spending hours resetting your phone?

acejavelin

Reaction score
I am frankly quite surprised... you are the first person who has done the factory reset and had things get worse that I am aware of.

Did you backup and restore all your apps with something like MyBackup? or did you install them all over again manually?

As far as the new RUU, it is really good and fixes most of the issues with the current ICS. Remember this will wipe all data from the phone and from the internal storage (not from the external SD card itself though), It is actually fairly simple to do:

1) Download the RUU from Android Police here: [Exclusive Download] Full RUU Build 4.03.605.2 For The HTC Rezound
2) Rename the file to PH98IMG.zip (case sensitive, care of the Windows double .zip.zip issue)
3) Copy the file to the root directory (no folder) of your external microSD card, it will be last drive letter added when you plug in the USB cable to your phone (not called HTC STORAGE) or /sdcard/ext_sd directory if you download it directly to your phone.
4) VERIFY THE MD5 OF THE FILE!!! I can't stress this enough, make sure it matches exactly to what is posted on AP's website or don't flash it, delete it and start over at step 1.
5) Power off the phone (wait until it is completely off)
6) Power on the phone holding down VOL DOWN + POWER, the process should then start automatically and take less than 25 minutes, it might reboot itself a few times but will eventually come to a screen telling you it is done and to press OK or something to reboot. If it doesn't after half an hour, pull the battery and flash again (this is not a problem, it just happens sometimes)
7) Let the phone boot up to the setup screen but do not start the setup process, wait about 60 seconds then power off and do step #6 a second time (Don't ask why, it is just the best way to avoid any possible issues in the future), then allow it to boot and go through the setup process.
8) After you have restored contacts and essential info, manually reinstall applications and run each one at least once.
9) Once everything is working normally, delete the PH98IMG.zip file from your SD card to prevent future accidental

These instructions are a little longer than most other peoples, but I am trying to make it idiot-proof (not a jab at you at all though).

acejavelin

Reaction score
That's ridiculous. Is this really the process everyone is expected to follow? Spending hours resetting your phone?
Essentially what you have done going from Gingerbread to Ice Cream Sandwich is comparable to going from Windows XP to Windows 7 by just an upgrade, and if you did that at all you know that half time it ended in disaster and you had to reformat and start all over...

Well, Android devices are little more temperamental sometimes, and unfortunately things don't always work exactly as you would like when you (or HTC) makes major changes.

Factory Defaulting a device should not take "hours" if you are setup properly and use the correct tools... All contacts in Google Contacts or other online services, SMS can be backed up with the internal app or via MyBackup, and apps should not be backed up and restored across software releases (GB to ICS) they should be reinstalled which can be done from a PC via the Play Store's My Applications tab, just click install on the various apps you want to install, and pictures, videos, and other "stuff" can just be copied to your PC or external SD card...

I have factory defaulted and restored completely with 60+ apps in less than hour with no problems, do it a few times (probably not what you want to hear) and you can easily do it under an hour.

All that said, I am not defending the fact we need to factory reset often, it shouldn't be the case, but unfortunately in today's world it is just something we need to do sometimes. And don't think that other Android phones, Apple, or Windows devices are immune to this either, they have similar issues as well that require factory resets for a variety of reasons.

EDIT: I had a point to this, somewhere, but as I read though it seems like it is just rambling... sorry, tired and need to go to bed.

Abe911

Reaction score
HTML:
4) VERIFY THE MD5 OF THE FILE!!! I can't stress this enough, make sure it matches exactly to what is posted on AP's website or don't flash it, delete it and start over at step 1.

I'm considering this RUU but not sure what you mean about above. I don't see anything on AP that I can compare to what I downloaded. Do I do a factory reset prior to the RUU if I go that route? If I update to RUU what happens when Verizon sends out the OTA updates?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Well it has been 2 days since my factory reset and it hasn't helped. Battery life is still terrible, phone resets itself and lags and it still gets hot sometimes.

This is so frustrating as I really like this phone. I hope we get another update soon.

acejavelin

Reaction score
HTML:

I'm considering this RUU but not sure what you mean about above. I don't see anything on AP that I can compare to what I downloaded. Do I do a factory reset prior to the RUU if I go that route? If I update to RUU what happens when Verizon sends out the OTA updates?

Thanks!
MD5 (or MD5 Digest Checksum) is a checksum of the file used to verify the file is an EXACT duplicate of the original and no errors occurred well downloading or copying the file, Android Police list the original MD5 of the file on their site:

Download (615MB) (MD5: bcdd450501e390ce323a46b396cd0a49)

There are numerous tools in the Play Store or for the PC you can get to check and verify it is a match... On the phone I use ES File Explorer from the Play Store (long press the file, scroll down to Properties, then select Show Checksum, tick MD5 and then press Calculate, for large files it may take a few minutes), on the PC I use BullZip's MD5 Calculator, it adds a simple option to the Right-Click Context menu of any file and includes the ability to paste the original MD5 value in and tell you if it matches.

A factory reset prior to installing the RUU is not an essential step, but some people recommend it, it would only take a few extra minutes and won't hurt anything so it is your call.

As far as future OTA updates, if Verizon releases this version as an official OTA then you will most likely get future updates, if they release a different version OTA, then you will most likely have to manually flash that RUU in order to get updates.

Last edited:

Abe911

Reaction score
Thanks! The download that I got does match the MD5 above.

Last edited: