I have to say GN didn't meet my expectation. How do you guys feel about GN now?

hwiya320

Reaction score
Let me start by saying that I still think it's a great phone and I'm not trying to bash the GN.

I finally had a chance to play around with the phone at the Verizon store and I came away unimpressed. Don't get me wrong, it felt like a good phone. I was really hoping to be blown away with the phone and was ready to buy one today. After playing around with it, I started debating if I wanted to get RAZR, Rezound, or even an iphone.

I'm not a high techie person like some of the members here. I'm more focused on how it interacts with me, the user, and what basic functions perform well. I don't care to read about all the specs not do I even care about expansion slot. I want a phone that's fast, has great call quality, great screen for movies, and a great camera quality.

Screen: HTC/Iphone > GN > RAZR I felt that screen was better than RAZR in terms of color. But I also felt like the Rezound had a much better color and clarity over the GN.

Speaker was also disappointed as I've read from some other reviews on the forum. It was very soft and I couldn't really hear anything.

Camera? what a joke... yes, it does take a fast picture but the quality was FAR from iphone or rezound.

Build quality felt like it was also terrible. The backing kept on coming off as I pulled the phone towards me with the retractable security cord. After watching the CNET review, the reviewer also mentions that her backing was never the same after dropping it once...

I'm really curious to know how you basic daily users feel about this phone?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
No phone priced at $300 on contract or thereabout is going to "blow away" the competition. They all make trade-offs. It's personal preference.

My personal preference is the flexibility and support with a developer phone gives it the edge. Otherwise I view the IPhone, RAZR, Rezound, Nexus and even the Bionic (and probably a few I'm missing) as more or less equivalent substitutes. Nor would I expect any differently with all of them in that $250-$300 price range. Arguably the Bionic or the 16gig IPhone 4S are probably the best "values" relative to the trade-offs made.

kaboyd

Reaction score
I love it. I have been using it heavily since I got it yesterday with no problems you speak of. I'm especially pleased with the camera. I've taken pics in every sort of light and they turned out great. Just as good as my brother's iphone. I may be more "techie" than your speaking of, but I'm very happy even before it's rooted and Rom'd. Only downside I can speak of is the shorter than usual battery life, but I expected that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

pool_shark

Reaction score
I've only had it one day but so far it's ok. I don't think there will ever be a phone that blows me away, I mean they're just electronic devices.

I have had to take the backing off of my phone 3 times for battery pulls due to an app conflict (light flow), and it snaps right back on no problem.

In my opinion the only problem with the camera is the shutter is too fast to take good pics in focus. I'll probably switch to vignette.

I've found the speaker volume varies depending on what you're listening to. I watch a youtube video yesterday and could barely hear it, watched a different video today and the sound was fine.

For me it's a matter of adapting to the lack of a physical camera button, and no longer being able to double tap the menu button to launch a task.

jcardona1

Reaction score
I love the phone. Don't think I'll be trading it for anything. If I did, only option would be the Rezound. Won't be putting my hands on a Mototurd anytime soon.

My only disappointment, the camera. Picture quality is worse than my OG Droid I'd say, even though it's light years faster. I've tried Camera Zoom FX also, which focuses first then takes the picture, as opposed to the stock camera app that you have to touch-to-focus then press the shutter button. Comparing the pictures side-by-side, they're identical, meaning they're both crappy. Something is definitely wrong with this camera. Hopefully it's something that can be fixed via an update. We'll see.

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
I love the G-Nex.

Screen - This screen is great, very sharp, crisp and the colors are rich.

Camera - I must have gotten a G-Nex with a great camera because I have no complaints. It's quick and sharp, sure you have to hold it steady to get great results and the colors might be a tad bit washed out looking but it's a camera on a phone.

ICS - I'm loving the new OS, very simple and elegant feeling. It definitely suits the phone. Granted there are some functions I miss from GB but that's why we have launcher apps.

Battery - The battery life is what makes this phone king of the hill. Every review I read about the Razr and Rezound were saying the battery life was terrible. With moderate/heavy use I was able to squeeze 10 hours out of my battery on the first discharge from 100%. Right now it's been discharging 15 hours and still has 65% on it, granted that's from very light use but it's the stock ROM. My OG couldn't do that with the stock ROM if it wanted to.

Speaker - It's not as loud as the OG but not as quite as what reviewers were saying, it will do.

Call quality - It's so clear, I called my buddy yesterday and he said it's the clearest he's ever heard me sound over the phone.

Speed - The speed of opening/closing apps, switching home screens and everything else is great. I played with the Rezound right before I bought the G-Nex and it felt no faster. It also has dual-core RAM which I bet not a lot of people know and this helps with multi-tasking which is why it feels so fast for a phone that's been underclocked by default.

Hands down the best phone overall on the market right now. But that's just my opinion.

Last edited:

pool_shark

Reaction score
I love the G-Nex.

Screen - This screen is great, very sharp, crisp and the colors are rich.

Camera - I must have gotten a G-Nex with a great camera because I have no complaints. It's quick and sharp, sure you have to hold it steady to get great results and the colors might be a tad bit washed out looking but it's a camera on a phone.

ICS - I'm loving the new OS, very simple and elegant feeling. It definitely suits the phone. Granted there are some functions I miss from GB but that's why we have launcher apps.

Battery - The battery life is what makes this phone king of the hill. Every review I read about the Razr and Rezound were saying the battery life was terrible. With moderate/heavy use I was able to squeeze 10 hours out of my battery on the first discharge from 100%. Right now it's been discharging 15 hours and still has 65% on it, granted that's from very light use but it's the stock ROM. My OG couldn't do that with the stock ROM if it wanted to.

Speaker - It's not as loud as the OG but not as quite as what reviewers were saying, it will do.

Call quality - It's so clear, I called my buddy yesterday and he said it's the clearest he's ever heard me sound over the phone.

Speed - The speed of opening/closing apps, switching home screens and everything else is great. I played with the Rezound right before I bought the G-Nex and it felt no faster. It also has dual-core RAM which I bet not a lot of people know and this helps with multi-tasking which is why it feels so fast for a phone that's been underclocked by default.

Hands down the best phone overall on the market right now. But that's just my opinion.

I am so tired of that excuse. That excuse was fine when phones first started having cameras, but now there are phones with great cameras, so to keep using the excuse that it's a phone makes no sense.

My Omnia took really nice pics, even in the dark, even with full zoom. No one is saying the phone on a camera has to be as good as a regular camera, but that doesn't mean it's ok if it sucks.
It's a feature on the phone that most people use regularly, there is reason for it to be bad after the many years of cell phone cameras.

AspenSTi

Reaction score
Sounds like you should have gotten a less expensive phone and more expensive camera? I have to agree with blazed, I'm absolutely loving everything about it so far.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

GoBears

Reaction score
My review is pretty right on with Blazeds except the battery but I do way too much playing to be a fair judge. My only complaint is the reception just seems crappier on the Gnex than it did on my Motos. As far as the camera, it has NO shutter lag but it still needs to focus. All autofocus cameras need time to focus that's just the way it is. Let it focus for a second then click capture. I am very impressed with the speed and picture quality and I was just using an iPhone4. Every bit as good as the 4 just not as sharp as the 4s. The main problem is this camera is that you can snap a pic before its finished focusing.

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
Exactly, you need to tap the screen and wait til the box shows green just like the OG did when you slightly pushed the shutter button.

@pool_shark: How exactly is it an excuse for me to say it's a camera on a phone? It is a camera on a phone. If you want better pictures go buy an actual camera. Like I said I think the pictures come out fine maybe not the best in low light and they might not be as good as iPhone's or Rezound's but it's not "crappy" as some people said. If you don't like it then return it and get a phone with a better camera. It suits my needs just fine.

scdown

Reaction score
I'm with @BL4Z3D247 - the sensor size is microscopic compared to a point & shoot, much less a DSLR, and it's a perfectly acceptable tradeoff of quality for form factor. Now, could Samsung have used the sensor from another of their phones? Probably. Who knows why they didn't upscale it a bit? Perhaps they were riding the edge of acceptable margin at the price point they gave to the carrier?

No phone camera will turn in image quality that equals that of a comparable micro4/3, APS-C, or full frame DSLR. Larger sensor=Larger pixels=Lower noise=Higher image quality between two sensors of the same resolution. As good as the iPhone's camera is, I'd never rely on it for quality-critical shots - I'd use it for time-critical shots, where it's better to have a less-than-perfect shot than nothing.

alucard9114

Reaction score
Coming from a Droid 1 and a techi im loving it about to flash my first rom right now EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE:icon_ lala:dancedroid:icon_ banana:

scdown

Reaction score
Overall, I'm happy - no problems with reboots or data drops, or black screen/battery pulls. The weak spot is indeed the camera, but, as I indicated above, that's a trade I'm willing to make under the circumstances (not the least of which being that it gets a lot of stuff right that's important to me).

sb1831

Reaction score
I have to say that I at least partially agree with the OP. Build quality leaves a LOT lacking IMO. I can't imagine dropping this thing without a case. Moto and HTC IMO both have better build quality. The screen is better than Moto screens but on part with the Rezound IMO. Battery life has been at least in my case on par with other LTE devices.

I know this opinion isn't popular but if it wasn't for the DEV crowd this phone's specs, build quality, and performance this phone would all be getting blasted on the forums.

Schimm

Reaction score
I hate the lack of screen real estate. Google bar on top of every page. Overly large soft buttons. Believe it or not you have less screen space than a droidx. I set them side by side. Big phone with small usable screen = imminent return.

Sent from my Xoom