I have to agree with jobs on this... Wait what??

BlueSami

Reaction score
Steve Jobs drops knowledge on earnings call: calls out Google and RIM, says 7-inch tablets are 'DOA' (Update: complete Jobs audio!) -- Engadget

as much as i hate to admit it......

But seriously the 10" tablet is such a better idea/deal then a tablet that is less than 3 inches bigger than your phone.

For 3 more inches you gain SO much. I am not really sure why all the new android tablets are 7". but i really hope someone steps up and starts building real tablets not 7" phones or mp3 players.. just silly to me.

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
More portability and lighter.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I disagree. I like the 10" tab just fine but did you watch the unboxing video of the galaxy tab? That thing is super slick. I love the fact you can grip it with one hand as well. If I needed a much bigger screen I would just buy a new laptop. I think the 7" tabs will sell well. I have wanted an iPad for sometime but have held out for a good android tab and the galaxy tab may have won me over.

OP
BlueSami

BlueSami

Reaction score
by how much though?
i guess you can almost fit them in your pocket.

but i have seen (way too many) people with their ipads in a leather notepad binder. business guys, contractors crazy how portable they are.

OP
BlueSami

BlueSami

Reaction score
I disagree. I like the 10" tab just fine but did you watch the unboxing video of the galaxy tab? That thing is super slick. I love the fact you can grip it with one hand as well. If I needed a much bigger screen I would just buy a new laptop. I think the 7" tabs will sell well. I have wanted an iPad for sometime but have held out for a good android tab and the galaxy tab may have won me over.

Here is my logic on it.
i have a phone with a 4.3" screen or so.
then i have my tablet with a 10" screen use it in the car airport (on the go)
then i have my laptop 15-16" screen home use bla bla..

i do realize this is just what i prefer.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
by how much though?
i guess you can almost fit them in your pocket.

but i have seen (way too many) people with their ipads in a leather notepad binder. business guys, contractors crazy how portable they are.

I carry mine in the Apple binder and it works great. The keyboard on the 10" is pretty much perfect. Same size as a netbook. I can type on it almost as fast as I can on a regular keyboard.

There will be some that the 7" would be perfect. Depends on what you're going to use it for, really. For me, anything larger than the 10" would be worthless for me.

The other point that people must keep in mind. The best hardware in the world is worthless without good programs and apps. Android developers are going to have to up their game and start building.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's a valid argument no question but IMO there won't be a shortage of people wanting the 7" tabs. Well atleast not the quality 7" tabs.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
It's a valid argument no question but IMO there won't be a shortage of people wanting the 7" tabs. Well atleast not the quality 7" tabs.

I agree. For things like media consumption and web surfing, it's going to be an excellent size for portability. I can't help but think the size of screen will also help the battery life.

As far as I'm concerned, the more quality tablets, the merrier. Can only help the competition keep improving each other. It will be a win win situation for the consumer.

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
. . .I can't help but think the size of screen will also help the battery life. . .

Hm, I thought this, until I thought a little more. The size of the device is also a factor, after all, cell phones have terrible battery life and the iPad has excellent battery life. Other than the screen there really isn't all that much more hardware in a tablet over a phone, so the bigger the screen the more space to stuff batteries.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
. . .I can't help but think the size of screen will also help the battery life. . .

Hm, I thought this, until I thought a little more. The size of the device is also a factor, after all, cell phones have terrible battery life and the iPad has excellent battery life. Other than the screen there really isn't all that much more hardware in a tablet over a phone, so the bigger the screen the more space to stuff batteries.

That's an excellent point I hadn't considered and makes perfect sense, actually. I was thinking about the smaller screen burning less power, but your thoughts about the battery size may even things out. It will be interesting to see how long a charge lasts.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I kind of look at Steve Jobs as a professional boxer. He is his biggest fan and he talks his game up as if its second to none when in reality he may think Apple is the best but he knows deep down the competition is close and getting closer.

sent from the great depths of my phones internet (thanks Al Gore)

cpjr

Reaction score
I kind of look at Steve Jobs as a professional boxer. He is his biggest fan and he talks his game up as if its second to none when in reality he may think Apple is the best but he knows deep down the competition is close and getting closer.

So in other words....he talks like the CEO of the company, lol.

How else would you expect him to act?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just picked up my iPad yesterday. It's been an absolute treat so far, specifically what I'm looking to use it for is to help me mod more effectively in the evenings when I'm watching television.

Got to share some thoughts. First, I had no idea why it was insisting I connect to iTunes when I first brought it out of the package. It had a very impressive 78% battery life before charging but instructions and tablet said I had to visit iTunes first. Then I watched it complete horror as it tried to absorb all 20.53 gb of music I had stored on my Mac. I was like George Jetson "Jane, how do you stop this crazy thing." It left me with a a few kb of space left.

Undaunted I went into the web and found out I could reset this sucker. I did and all that stuff came off, only to see that the software reinstall failed. I tried it a second time and it installed. This time I installed the music I wanted to install and and 13.5 GB of space left. :)

I have to say that so far their Apps Store is not what I thought it would be. They charge 4.95 for Angry Birds. We pay how much? 0.00? Apparently nobody on twitter that follows me owns anything but Android. I pleaded for help with apps and all I got was people trying to sell me crap I didn't want.

I think it feels a little uncomfortable carrying it around naked. I may look dor some type of a case. But I am enjoying it, got my Mac's Calendar which in turn syncs to Google Calendar to sync with the iPad. Contacts took a little research but I got them over from Google, not difficult to do. Google stepped me through that. too.

Anyway, this is my birthday present which is a bit early but something new for me to work with. No way does it take the place of my Droid 2.

I got just the wifi unit, no 3g service. i don't see me using this outside of anyplace where wifi would not be available. Anyway, Verizon doesn't start for another 9 dyas with their service and I certainly wasn't going to use AT&T.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score

So in other words....he talks like the CEO of the company, lol.

How else would you expect him to act?
I wouldn't expect him to act any other way nor should he have to. I am not an apple hater, I own a Mac and love it. I am just simply saying as the competition grows stiffer these comments will become more frequent.