I have to admit.. Android has grown on me.. But

LouD

Reaction score
I'm knocked over by the functionality of the Droid, but I have the opposite problem of most people on this thread. I have big hands, among other things, and it is just too damn small to type on, physical or virtual keyboard. I know other big guys who say the same thing about Droid. Most of my contractor buddies don't even bother with smart phones, they're hands are sufficiently screwed up from pounding nails for a living that they can't even think about using itsy bitsy keys.

Someone is going to come up with a Man-Droid, about half again bigger than the current unit, and make a whole bunch of money. Like maybe even include shock mounting/cover/weatherproofing like they do with some of the high-end DSLRs.

OP
X

xythil

Reaction score
Well I went from rooting, to using the DroidMod updater to install DroidMod1.0... to installing Ultimate7.. to going back to DroidMod 1.0 to finally unrooting...

It was an interesting journey. And I have actually grown to like the Android OS. I appreciate how open it is , the multitasking, the notifications... it is all great.

However I am not too sure I am in love with the motorola Droid.

I mean on the one hand it feels sturdy, and well built. The screen is just BEAUTIFUL. The resolution makes going back to the internet on my Ipod touch nearly unbearable...

Although I do still appreciate the snap of the ipods menus/browser, the lag on the droid isn't to bad and it is definitely speedier in other areas.

I would honestly be perfectly happy if it wernt for the design and weight of the droid. I do not use the physical keyboard so it feels like I am carrying around extra bulk that does nothing for me.

So I think I am going to give it a full week before I make my decision whether to keep the phone or not but any suggestions would be helpful.

I was thinking of maybe going down to an Eris but I dont think i could live with the smaller screen and lower resolution and slower processor.

The Eris is about the size/weight I would want ot carry but I want the power o the moto droid.

P.S.

Just want to thank everyone on this forum who was so helpful.

P.P.S

Hey I noticed I lost the mic icon on my droid on the google search widget and on maps and just about everywhere. I use to have an option to press a little mic on the keyboard and input command verbally but I dont see it anymore. Is this because I am not on droidmod anymore?

I feel almost exactly as you do. The keyboard is useless to me, and lately I've noticed the phone slightly sliding open when I take it out my pocket is a tad annoying, too. The phone is heavy. I didn't realize HOW heavy until I picked up a iPhone. Its a big big difference in weight.

Now, the positive side.

#1 The screen is drop-dead 100% gorgeous. I still to this day stop and look at it sometimes and say "DAMN that's a nice screen how the hell did they make it so nice". Friends have commented on how good pictures look on it, also.

#2 The touchscreen is very responsive. It just seems that it registers finger movements very well. I expect this. The reason I bring this up is because I read an article saying that the Nexus One's response isn't as good, and that the Droid is better in this area. Can't confirm this, but I do know after using this phone an ungodly amount in the few months I've owned it that I'll notice right away if the Nexus one's touchscreen response isnt' as good.

#3 Its the best phone on Verizon, currently. I'm pretty much not leaving Verizon, so in reality I really don't have a choice unless...

#4 I get an Eris. Which I'm not. I can see someone else doing it, but the Droid is a flat out better phone than the Eris.

So, in the end, yes, the Droid isnt' perfect in terms of my personal desire of how it is designed. I don't want the keyboard, I want the virtual and thats it. However, after going through an analysis like I did (which I pretty much did a month after I had the phone), I've realized after weighing the options that I'm pretty happy where I am. There ARE a few things that annoy me, but I'm ok dealing with them because I have the best option available to me right now.

-Wil

Wow Will are you my long lost twin? You hit the nail on the head.

Not only do I view the droid the same way but I am also nervouce about the Nexus One.

Right now the Droid is amazing. Especially right now since a tree took out my phone lines and almost my car. But I still have internet thanks ot droid. Id be going crazy without internet.

You know Ihave even grown to love the phsyical touchkeys at the bottom of the device. At first I thought the iphone was superior with one sleek home button. But really that was very limiting. Now I can go back, or home, or open a menu, all without having to GO HOME then SWITCH programs.

However it is a bit large and weighty. didnt think the 1.3 ounces would make a different but it REALLY does. Holding it up for calls and for browsing honestly stinks. I am by no means an invalid but it is definitely not to hold the device for long periods of time. In your pocket it is a wash though.

The device does feel WELL built and sturdy. The screen is gorgeous.

With all that said in my mind the Nexus One is the perfect device for me. But now that I am use to the droid I have no idea if I wil' be satisfied by the device. I havnt tested it out.

If I take back my Droid ( I still have liek 25+ days before my 30 are up) and dont like the Nexus One... what do I do then? Do I get another 30 days with it? And even then what are my options then? Just get another droid?

And to make matter sworse I keep hearing all these negatives about the Nexus One. TERRIBLE antena placement, lots of glitches,

I am just at a loss at what to do lol

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Yeah but you have options; I am not pushing you towards the nexus nor am I a fan of the nexus; all I am saying is that lets say you get the nexus and you do not like it. You will know with out a shadow of a doubt the droid is you and you do not mind being stuck with it for 2 years. But if you get the nexus and you find that it is more you then you made the right decision.
If you wait til the nexus release you can still go back to the droid. But if you go beyond your 30 day then you are stuck.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm knocked over by the functionality of the Droid, but I have the opposite problem of most people on this thread. I have big hands, among other things, and it is just too damn small to type on, physical or virtual keyboard. I know other big guys who say the same thing about Droid. Most of my contractor buddies don't even bother with smart phones, they're hands are sufficiently screwed up from pounding nails for a living that they can't even think about using itsy bitsy keys.

Someone is going to come up with a Man-Droid, about half again bigger than the current unit, and make a whole bunch of money. Like maybe even include shock mounting/cover/weatherproofing like they do with some of the high-end DSLRs.

Sounds like you need the Droid Pad, heavy duty deluxe edition. Maybe someday.:)

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score

:woot: sadly not until the phones are engineered and/or designed but such users... This is the one thing I hate about the current trend in technology... companies feel they must make everything 'smaller and lighter.'

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
On Issues of Size, Weight, and Physical Keyboard

When I got my Droid in early December my wife got an Eris. She was moving from an LG/Env (first generation) and found the Droid to be too big, too heavy, etc. After a week of trying to adjust to the Eris virtual keyboard she returned the phone, thinking that she had to have a physical keyboard. Still, the Droid was "too big, too heavy, too masculine" for her.

Long story short...Looked at a bunch of other phones android and non-android for her. Couldn't come up with a phone that met all her requirements.

Meanwhile, I'd become addicted to my Droid and she finally relented a couple of weeks ago. We picked up a Droid for her via Amazon for $50.

When it arrived she (and I) were amazed how small and light it seemed in comparison to my Droid. I actually thought at first that Motorola had "slimmed down" the phone since I had gotten mine. Turned out, however, that the only difference was my Seidio case. And while it is among the lightest, thinnest cases out there, the subjective difference was significant.

In addition, I had been using the Swype keyboard (first the leaked version and then the beta) for almost two months. Had the foresight to sign my wife up for the beta just before the registration closed so I was able to load Swype on her phone from day one.

Now it turns out that I don't think my wife has used the physical keyboard on the Droid even once.

Bottom line: What seems absolutely critical in a phone (like many things in life including houses and mates) may end up not mattering in the least. My wife adjusted almost immediately to the size of the Droid when she subjectively compared it to mine rather than to her old phone. And the "had to have" physical keyboard doesn't matter to her at all.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is the one thing I hate about the current trend in technology... companies feel they must make everything 'smaller and lighter.'

We are rapidly approaching the world envisioned in "The President's Analyst." (Reference meaningful mainly to boomers who remember great movies from the '60's.)

smokiedabong

Reaction score
Hope they won't start doing these devices smaller , imagine typing on a 2.5" screen , or browsing and watching movies on that . In my opinion the droid is medium-small , I used a HD2 for a while and the Droid is a midget compared to that one , I was thinking how to get a solid brushed stainless steel case for this to make it heavier . Luckily there are still phones like Mini 5 coming to the market , can't wait to put my hand on this 5" screen .
[video=youtube;jjBcv9iZinY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjBcv9iZinY[/video]