I have this ophone so screwed up right now...help with SPRecovery!

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by nateccnn, Mar 24, 2010.

1. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

I swear! I rooted. I had a ball. It got old. I went back to stock. But rooting is like crack cocaine and I had to dive back in.

I really am having fun learning all this. It sounds like I'm frustrated, but I have one of those dry sense of humors...so bear with me...LOL

I got SDK tools and started learning some ADB Console commands. Whole new world! Yeah! I might even start writing apps!

So I went from Droid Mod to Cyanogen and screwed that install up. Went back to stock again. Used DMUpdater to put SPRecovery on and root the phone. But SPRecovery only works one time. Next time I reboot the phone the stock recovery tool is back and SPRecovery is gone. It's easy to get it back on the phone (doing so right now) but it's a little irritating when I boot into recovery mode and notice it's the wrong console...reboot again...install SPRecovery (using DM Updater) again...reboot into recovery mode again...lalalalala.

Am I doing something wrong or is this normal that SPRecovery goes away once you flash the new rom? How do you get SPRecovery on the phone in a permanent way? Is there a place to download the tool so I can use SDK Tools to flash it to the phone or do I need to keep using DM Updater to get SPRecovery on the phone?

Thanks,

Nate
  2. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

Open one of the Terminal Emulators and type the following (if your sprecovery file is not recovery-0.99.2b.img, put in the name of your file):

su

flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-0.99.2b.img

reboot recovery
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  3. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

Don't I need a copy of recovery-0.99.2.img on the card for that command to work?

Nate
  4. BayouFlyFisher

5. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

OK...hold my hand. I don't have a terminal emulator on the phone so I am in the SDK tool console on my caomputer. Phone is connected by USB. From the $ prompt I type the commmand line and it tells me "Permission Denied". If I type SU, enter, then type the command line it says it can't find the recovery image.

Card is not mounted as a drive on the computer.

Nate
  6. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

never mind. I think I got it. I unplugged USB, replugged it in and it worked this time.

Thanks for your help.

So...is it now going to have SBRecovery every time I boot into recovery mode?

Nate
  7. alienware777

alienware777 New Member

Don't worry about that. Your doing everything right, you just need to rename recovery-from-boot.p to recovery-from-boot.old I can't remember where its located though...
  8. BayouFlyFisher

Glad you got it to work because I was going to have to make up some garbage about computer commands!! :)

There are several terminal emulators in the market. I love having everything on my phone. I can do stuff even when away from the computer.
  9. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

Yeah, swamp fisher...I have terminal emulator on the Droid now. Used it to finish the install of Smoked Glass lastnight. I set up one of my home screens with tools for ROM mods. Now I have Smoked Glass and I think I am done with playing around with ROMs. LOL Finally got it all set up nice and neat and I have no use for it anymore.

Maybe SG will crash on me and give me a reason to use these tools again. (crossing fingers)

But for now, I feel like I finally have my phone where I want it. Can't think of a reason to play anymore. Maybe I'll start developing apps. That would be fun.

Nate
  10. gavron

gavron New Member

This thread was REALLY HELPFUL!

Details follow so perhaps if others search they'll find this thread.

I did a full nandroid backup including the recovery partition.

I tried ROMManager. It installed from the market just fine. When running it wants to install the ClockworkRecovery. I allowed it and the progress bar got all the way to the end. It then asked for SU permissions and I hit "Allow". Nothing else ever happened.

I rebooted, then ran ROMManager again with the same result. Reading another thread on Droidforums.net I found a suggestion to remove and reinstall it.

I rebooted, removed ROMManager, rebooted, reinstalled ROMManager, rebooted (I'm sure many if not all were unnecessary) and then ran it. This time it flashed ClockworkRecovery successfully, and all the options were there.

Unfortunately I was unaware that without the "Premium version" I could only try Cyanogen's ROM. Since I'm using SmokedGlass and that's not an option anyway, paying to try ROMs would mean I need to make sure I can restore my backup.

I booted into ClockworkRecovery and sure enough nandroid saw NO files. Apparently ClockworkRecovery nandroid and SPRecovery nandroid are different not only in features (no advanced backup on CWR) but they put the backup files in different folders.

By this time I had two options. I could try and figure out where CWR wants the backup and mount the sdcard and move a backup... but since I was already disenchanted with CWR and RM[non-premium] I wanted to get back to SPrecovery.

1. I mounted the USB card.
    2. I copied the downloaded SPRecovery images to /sdcard

3. I opened up the ADB shell, and then:
    Code:
    [root@droid] / # ls /sdcard/recovery*
    /sdcard/recovery-0.99.2b.img* /sdcard/recovery-0.99.3.img*
    [root@droid] / # flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-0.99.3.img              
    [root@droid] / # sync                                                          
    [root@droid] / # exit                                                          
    exit

4. I then rebooted to recovery (AHA, SPRecovery :) )

Code:
    mysystem:~/Desktop/droid$ adb shell
    / # format SYSTEM:
    Formatting SYSTEM:
    / # format CACHE:
    Formatting CACHE:
    / # format DATA:
    Formatting DATA:
    / # exit

6. I then did a nandroid restore (the SPR nandroid found the backups it had created easily) of SYSTEM, and DATA.

My phone is now exactly the way it was before I ever messed with ROMMonitor. That's exactly the way I like it.

Thanks for the useful advice!

Ehud