I have the best droid set up ever!

Discussion in 'Android Custom & Themes' started by GOON, Feb 22, 2010.

1. spacemanps

spacemanps Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    On version .3 of BB i could only OC to 600... is this different in .4?

and how do i install a kernel? (sry)

i took the shoels 1.2 kernel from here (http://alldroid.org/viewtopic.php?f=309&t=2415) and changed the name to update.zip and i tried to boot into revovery and do the updat ethat way but it wouldnt work...

i get "update.zip install blocked"

#25 spacemanps, Feb 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2010
  2. phaze3131

phaze3131 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What benchmark app is this?

I always get something with the units of Mflops

3. NoKz

NoKz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Nothing special. I just ran whatever kernel seemed to stay the coolest at 1.2GHz. Sholes kernel runs cooler than Chevy's for some reason on my phone. Other than that, nothing special. Installed BB v1.1 and that's about it. :icon_ banana:

Right above install.zip from SDCARD, it says "Allow update.zip Installation". Select that, then update.

That's using SetCPU. Open it and go to System Info ---> Benchmark

4. spacemanps

spacemanps Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Right above install.zip from SDCARD, it says "Allow update.zip Installation". Select that, then update.

i did that and its still giving me that error..

5. cisco0910

cisco0910 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Dang, got em

6. ViciousCircle

ViciousCircle Android Addict
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you keep getting that, might be best to do a nandroid install. First, do an advanced nandroid backup of your current setup (so all of your apps will be there when done). Name it something you'll remember. Really you only need the data portion, but I often back up the whole thing so I can get it back if something goes horribly wrong.

Then, download the nandroid version of the update, unpack it and put it in a folder in your nandroid folder on your sd card. If you're also installing a different kernel, put that in the root of your SD card and make sure it is named update.zip (also make sure your computer OS didn't screw up the name. Depending on your settings, it might be named update.zip.zip. You can check using astro on your phone.)

Then do the following in the recovery screen:

1. if you haven't already, do an advanced nandroid backup of your current setup. Select all options, name the backup something you'll remember, and run the backup.
    2. wipe/factory reset twice.
    3. advanced nandroid restore with everything checked of the new ROM you want to install.
    4. perform the restore
    5. (optional) If you're installing a different kernel, allow updates, then apply the update.zip for the kernel.
    6. another advanced nandroid restore. Pick the backup you did before doing all of the above (step 1), but only select the DATA option in the restore, then perform the restore.
    7. reboot your phone.

At that point, you should have the new ROM (and kernel if applicable) as well as all of your old apps which will still be linked to the market.

Disclaimer: Remember, doing any updating of ROM's and kernels is your own choice and done at your own risk. It's probably not going to happen, but there is a very slim chance of bricking your phone. That's why it is very important to do a full nandroid backup before attempting to apply new ROM's and kernels and such.

7. spacemanps

spacemanps Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    [/quote] it might be named update.zip.zip. [/I][/quote]

this was it..

8. spacemanps

spacemanps Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    "it might be named update.zip.zip."

this was it..

9. ViciousCircle

ViciousCircle Android Addict
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, if you don't have your OS showing file extensions, and you type in update.zip, it'll add another .zip to the end. One of the first things I do after installing an OS is make sure it is set up to my liking, and that includes telling it to show me file extensions.

10. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    99.3b adds the ability to "automatically" install a rom, so that the sholes market app could remove that pesky "boot into recovery, pick install, select the rom" step from the process. In doing so, they also opened up a huge mess of bugs where the phone would be caught in a loop where it would continuously try to boot recovery and install the rom, even when you're not holding X.

Stick with 0.99.2b unless you want to use the sholes app.

11. SwordOfWar

SwordOfWar Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You people running 1GHz+ are insane. That's all I will say. I'm going to laugh probably a year from now when all you guy's phones start dieing because you have been running it too hard.

In my opinion 800MHz is the highest you should go, as that's the highest speed before using a higher voltage.

You guys can say all you want about it being stable now, but I'm fairly certain your going to kill that CPUs lifespan at the rate you guys are going.

Its silly because I've tried 1GHz out and to be honest it's not even a huge improvement. Unless your really pushing the phone and multitasking it seems almost exactly the same. Seems like a big risk for such a small improvement.

12. mach330

mach330 Active Member

Ratings:
    +54
    i agree on running over 1Ghz (i'm running at 800Mhz as well). however, i dont need the phone to last me 2 yrs. 1 yr would be fine as i need to have the latest and greatest. cpu should be able to survive by then. lol

Search tags for this page
best droid page setups

best droid setup

best droidsticks skin set up
best way to set up your droid dna
best way to speed up droid dna
cool ways to set up droid razr
cool ways to set up my motorola ultra