I have stock 2.2, need wireless tethering

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Pinkerton, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Pinkerton

Pinkerton New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have the official stock Android 2.2 (Froyo, BN FRG01B) installed on my Droid. I have searched and searched but cannot find a definitive answer to this:

How do I use wireless tethering on my stock android 2.2 droid?

I don't care about anything else but this. Is it possible to have this feature without rooting my phone? How do I install this feature in the least destructive manner as possible? Do I need to install a lower version of Android? How do I go about this without bricking my phone? How do I backup everything to avoid bricking my phone? If anyone could give a really, REALLY simple step-by-step instruction on how to do this I would be greatly appreciative.

2. bekyndnunwind

bekyndnunwind Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No, you cannot do this without rooting.

3. Pinkerton

Pinkerton New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I suspected that to be the case.

4. Phreaker47

Phreaker47 Member

Ratings:
    +20
    If you want it that bad, rooting is not so difficult these days. You can even keep the stock rom but you will need to flash a custom kernel at least.

5. r314bd

r314bd Member

Ratings:
    +23
    You will need to root. No way around that. Here are the easiest instructions using a Windows-based computer.

1. Follow these instructions to root.

2. Download "Wireless Tether for Root Users" from the Market.

...and you're done.

6. peterpressure

peterpressure Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My buddy with the Droid X upgraded to Froyo and says the tethering works without root. Probably only on the X though.

7. r314bd

r314bd Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Are you sure he was talking about wireless tethering? USB tethering has always been possible without root access. Also he could be referring to the 3G Mobile Hotspot which costs an extra $20/month.

8. IanG

IanG Member

Ratings:
    +1
    That's only on the Droid X and Droid 2. Also, it's a paid feature (like $20/month).

9. jasonppp

jasonppp Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +2
    i was under the impression that froyo comes with tether options under settings/wireless but being non rooted you will have to pay for monthly plan for the feature

10. barcodelinux

barcodelinux Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you absolutely HAVE to stay unrooted, I dont understand why USB tethering is not an option for you.

But you could always use PDA Net/Easy Tether with bluetooth to get a "without wires" solution too.

I would seriously consider rooting. It is sooooo much easier compared to 8 months or so ago when I had to move files around, click on this and that, and stand on my head for exactly 2.3 seconds while eating a peanut butter and banana sandwich. I heard they even have GUI apps that are a simple one-click method now.

And as far as you being worried about bricking your droid, don't worry. The moto droid is pretty much unbrickable. (now watch some idiot try to prove me wrong and say that he/she just "bricked" thier phone by trying to root it)