I HAVE SOLVED MY BATTERY PROBLEM!!! And maybe yours???

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid Bionic' started by ice456789, Sep 20, 2011.

1. ice456789

ice456789 New Member

I've been consistently getting no more than 5 hrs of battery life on a full charge. I've tried so many things to fix it; removing all widgets, trying to force close social location, turning off bluetooth, putting juice defender on aggressive, setting all the battery settings to max battery saving, using the phone until the battery died then charging it with the phone off..... none of them worked.

A friend of mine has the bionic and is getting plenty of battery so we were both going through every setting to find something different. We had some differences like I was using Launcherpro, he was using motoblur. Then I noticed his wi-fi wasn't on. I asked him why, he said because he's got a strong 4g signal there's no reason for wifi. It was worth a shot. I turned off wifi today and... amazingly my phone battery lasts HOURS longer. After 3 hours of listening to music through headphones streamed over 4g (what I would call heavy usage), the phone still had 60% battery. With wifi on I could charge the phone fully then not touch it for 3 hours and it would be down to 40% with no usage at all.

TURN OFF YOUR WIFI IF YOU'RE HAVING BATTERY PROBLEMS!

Of course only if you're in a strong 4g area.

Here's why I think it works. It's completely counter intuitive. We all know the 4g radio uses MUCH more battery than the wifi radio so theoretically being on Wifi should save battery. But the software on the Bionic is the problem. If you're on wifi, the phone will use the Social Location app to locate you using the wifi. It will then keep the phone alive to keep the wifi connection alive. This is regardless of any settings that you can change on the phone (that I've found anyway). If you kill the Social Location app, it will restart itself in a few minutes (even if you add it to the auto end list in task manager). All the other Verizon bloatware will grab that Wifi connection too and constantly update. But if you turn wi-fi off, Social Location will not leave itself on and running. It will not poll the 4g connection continuously like it does on WiFi. And I haven't seen VZ Navigator or IM or any of that garbage trying to start itself like it does on wifi.

If you're having battery issues like I was, then give this a shot.
  2. KanUHearMeNow

KanUHearMeNow New Member

But what are all your neighbors that are mooching for free off your wireless going to think if you turn it off? :)
  3. McGyver777

McGyver777 New Member

Just get juice defender app (free version good enough). When my screen cuts off so does my wifi. When wifi cuts on data cuts off and visa versa. Blue tooth stays off until needed also.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  4. ConqSoft

ConqSoft New Member

If you're using the Social Location app, that's the root of your problem. It's known to be buggy and a battery hog. And the problem is, once you run it once, it's hard to get it to shut down, and stay shut down, without a factory reset.

More info here: https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/57606

I keep WiFi on all the time, and get 12-16 hours on the standard battery all the time.
  5. tgyberg

tgyberg Well-Known Member

I used TiBu to freeze all of the social stuff so I seem to be getting the same battery life on wifi as I do on 4G. Good trouble shooting tho man!!
  6. gmorgan056

gmorgan056 New Member

See my phone is the opposite. I work in downtown Seattle, so 4g is plenty strong, but my battery constantly drained around 5 hours. So I turned off 4g because I don't need it at work, and turned on wi-fi attaching to my jobs wi-fi. I'm now sitting at 9hrs and still 50% battery left.
  7. SSHGuru

SSHGuru New Member

I just ran social location for the first time. It crashed after a min, then to make sure I brought it up and exited from it properly.

Task manager says it's not running (in fact nothing is taking resources).

I mainly use Wi-Fi during the day, so technically turning 4g and 3g would save battery but since I always have a plug nearby I don't care.

Also don't I need 3 or 4g to get calls? I don't even know.
  8. SSHGuru

SSHGuru New Member

Can't believe I ran it now it's happening to me.

9. bmwnick

bmwnick New Member

+1 Juice Defender also get a good task killer
  10. alboboy10

alboboy10 New Member

I have a tb. But my battery drains a lot with 4g on and I have STRONG signal.

Wifi is way better for me. With 4g my phone actually gets hot even on idle. I think I have stuff running in the background idk about when its idle.
  11. kath00

kath00 New Member

+1 for JD too. I am getting 26-28h of battery life with light use and about 16-18h with heavy use. I leave WiFi and BlueTooth toggles on permanently now (used to switch them off religeously on my Droid X)... dancedroid
  12. SSHGuru

SSHGuru New Member

I took the steps in the link hopefully they will work. No interest in juice defender.

13. SSHGuru

SSHGuru New Member

Just noticed that at the top of the battery stats there is a little graph. Tap it and it becomes full screen and gives you some interesting usage data.

How do you reset the battery stats? Want to know if I got rid of that annoying location thing.
  14. SSHGuru

SSHGuru New Member

TiBu?

15. sweeeeet

sweeeeet Well-Known Member

Titanium backup

16. Imprezive

Imprezive New Member

Turned off:

-Google location services
    -VZW Location services
    -Share Picture location
    -WI-FI Off
    -Battery Mode:Maximum Battery Saver

After this 12 hours only dropped to 80 % with minimal usage.
  17. SSHGuru

SSHGuru New Member

Not rooted at this point...
  18. AndyMcDroid

AndyMcDroid New Member

The most interesting thing (to me) about the larger graph is that below the graph it has a color coded bar showing wireless signal strength over time.
  19. SSHGuru

SSHGuru New Member

The larger graph shows a bunch of stats. The grey is your battery going up or down. The times when you have no phone signal you can see a white line. When you look under the graph it tells you phone signal, GPS on, WIfi, Awake Times, Screen on Times, and Charging times.

Very useful.

20. ambrown

ambrown New Member

I even turn off 3G sometimes when I'm not using data, that seems to improve battery life as well. But the number one battery saver for me? Turning down the brightness level of my screen. That does way more life sucking than anything else on my phone. Looking at the "battery use" menu tells me that even still when I turn it down the screen is the number one battery life killer.

Sent from my Droid Incredible on 2.3.4 using the DroidForums app
Search tags for this page
how do you save your battery on bonic phone

how to save power on my droid bionic

juice defender freeze after full charge

social location 2.0 setting