I have one frustration with my RAZR MAXX.

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR MAXX' started by revelated, Jul 14, 2012.

1. revelated

revelated New Member

The thing is, I actually don't like the phone. But what keeps me on it is the insane battery. I don't want to go down the route of the RAZR HD if it's essentially the same thing - maybe if they use the Atrix HD launcher for it then I would consider it.

But my point is, so many phones have been released and none of them are fixing the battery life problem, I mean really FIX it. The MAXX can last me 36 hours on 4G if I don't stream media, if I stream all day long on 4G I can get up to 15, possibly more if I didn't do it over Bluetooth. That's just insanity and yet no other phone can even come close.

Why aren't other vendors working to do this type of battery tech in their phones? Right now battery life is the #1 concern of mine but all I see are these tiny brick batteries where you're forced to get an extended that makes the damn thing look ugly. Yes I have chargers all over the place but I don't want to be FORCED to use a charger, I want to actually FORGET to put it on the charger because it lasts so long. That's what happens now and I love it. Going a day and half realizing I never put it on the charger, then I suddenly get a low battery alert, look at the phone and have it tell me it's been off the juice for over 30 hours is an inexplicable feeling. I want it for other phones though.
  2. jtc303

jtc303 New Member

Why don't you like it exactly?
  3. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator

What's your "one frustration" with the MAXX? Your post makes it seem like you're frustrated with every other phone that doesn't have the MAXX's battery life, but it doesn't point out anything specific about the MAXX that you don't like as the title of the thread suggests.

And I would be beyond shocked if the RAZR HD doesn't come with the same launcher and options that the Atrix HD has. I think it's a pretty safe bet to plan on it being there.
  4. revelated

revelated New Member

My frustration - my ONE frustration with the MAXX - is that I don't like the actual phone but I have little other choice given its battery is the best thing going. That's the frustration. I want others to start getting this battery tech going so I can pick a phone I like without having to suffer under a 7 hour battery life which I find unacceptable after having used the MAXX and I don't plan on ever buying another extended battery.

As far as why I don't like the MAXX?

1 - I hate the shape of it. It's just not comfortable to hold for extended periods. Weird shaped. I look at my boss' WinMo phone and how comfortable it looks, but I refuse to go that route because I don't like that OS.
    2 - Screen resolution, it's just so low that any app that has a long name gets cut off. Annoying. Pentile wouldn't look nearly as prominent if the phone had a higher resolution to it.
    3 - Black splotching when the screen is showing black. I thought it was part of the game I was playing.
    4 - Placement of the speaker means dealbreaker for a leftie trying to watch movies or play games.
    5 - Front camera is almost pointless to have.
    6 - Placement of the charging port vs. HDMI port annoys me. Again, if I were trying to watch movies while charging it's extremely uncomfortable. The Thunderbolt and Bionic were a bit better but the Thunderbolt was just on the wrong side.
    7 - Bluetooth connection is spotty at best, I'll be listening to audio perfectly fine one minute, next I hear nothing, and I have to reconnect Bluetooth. It's not the other device, because the Nexus doesn't have this problem.
    8 - Random data cutouts, it'll say it's on 4G but it will only do upstream traffic. Have to use the "restore connectivity" app to get it back and that of course requires a reboot which annoys me.
    9 - The distance between the LCD and the glass surface is so...I don't know. If you've ever used a WinMo phone I like how it looks like you're touching the actual LCD because the glass is not so thick. Same with the iPhone - but again, I refuse to use either because I hate their OS's, I just want the phone design to start thinning the glass panel. Gorilla Glass can be just as strong at thinner depths.

It's not a bad phone, just a lot of strange design things. I still recommend it to people. But honestly the battery is the only thing that makes this phone win over others. That's frustrating.
  5. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator

1 - I hate the shape of it. It's just not comfortable to hold for extended periods. Weird shaped. I look at my boss' WinMo phone and how comfortable it looks, but I refuse to go that route because I don't like that OS.

- If you don't like the shape of it, you don't like the shape of it. That comes down to personal preference. I don't mind the shape of it myself, especially with the Diztronic case. In fact, I quite like it.

2 - Screen resolution, it's just so low that any app that has a long name gets cut off. Annoying. Pentile wouldn't look nearly as prominent if the phone had a higher resolution to it.

- It would be nice to have a higher resolution, but in every day use, I really don't find it to be an issue. This is coming from having owned both the 720p screens of the Rezound and the Galaxy Nexus. It has a higher resolution than most phones did just a year ago. But I do think Motorola missed the boat on making the RAZR/MAXX truly killer in every way by not shipping with a 720p screen. The Rezound and the Nexus both came out shortly after the RAZR, so it could have been possible. That said, this is still an above average screen.

3 - Black splotching when the screen is showing black. I thought it was part of the game I was playing.

- This exists with all AMOLED screens. So, if it's something that really bothers you, you'll need to steer clear of AMOLED panels in the future.

4 - Placement of the speaker means dealbreaker for a leftie trying to watch movies or play games.

- Even as a rightie, I'll agree that the placement of the speaker isn't ideal, especially in landscape mode. But honestly, there aren't many places that would be ideal considering a person's hand(s) cover most of the back of the device when holding it.

5 - Front camera is almost pointless to have.

- Not sure why this is a con against the MAXX when it's pretty much ubiquitous among smartphones. I can see not using the camera (although I use mine often), but it doesn't get in the way or hinder anything. I don't think it should be counted as a strike against it.

6 - Placement of the charging port vs. HDMI port annoys me. Again, if I were trying to watch movies while charging it's extremely uncomfortable. The Thunderbolt and Bionic were a bit better but the Thunderbolt was just on the wrong side.

- I don't like the ports being on the top either. It makes it a bit awkward to handle while charging at times. But, with the battery in the MAXX, I hardly ever have to worry about chagrining while I need to be using it.

7 - Bluetooth connection is spotty at best, I'll be listening to audio perfectly fine one minute, next I hear nothing, and I have to reconnect Bluetooth. It's not the other device, because the Nexus doesn't have this problem.

- I haven't had any Bluetooth problems.

8 - Random data cutouts, it'll say it's on 4G but it will only do upstream traffic. Have to use the "restore connectivity" app to get it back and that of course requires a reboot which annoys me

- On the Nexus, I had data cut outs constantly. On the MAXX, it rarely happens. The hand-off between 3G and 4G can be a chore at times for any Verizon LTE phone. But out of all the Verizon LTE phones I've had, the MAXX handles it the best and holds a signal better. The Rezound comes in at a close second.

9 - The distance between the LCD and the glass surface is so...I don't know. If you've ever used a WinMo phone I like how it looks like you're touching the actual LCD because the glass is not so thick. Same with the iPhone - but again, I refuse to use either because I hate their OS's, I just want the phone design to start thinning the glass panel. Gorilla Glass can be just as strong at thinner depths.

- There's a little space, but it's far from being the worst. I'd say it's about average, if not above average.

While I do agree with some of what you said, I think they're more nitpicking points than actual frustrations. Everything else about the MAXX - battery, reception, UI (as far as skinned Android goes) - is much better than pretty much everything out there. And I've had just about everything out there. :)

But most of your frustrations come down to personal preference though. Different people like different things. Nothing wrong with that.
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  6. xxwabbit

xxwabbit Member

Didn't you "try it out" at the store before you bought it? I liked it as soon as I picked it up.
  7. jtc303

jtc303 New Member

yezzur... I guess that guy is just really particular about how he wants his phone.. only a couple of those can really be classified as "frustrations" IMO... btw, I think the phone is really cool looking.
  8. cbreze

cbreze New Member

Pretty nitpicky , but everyone's entitled to their opinion. I find the Maxx to be a fine, well built, great RF type of device. The screen resolution is fine for a phone, I've watched a very few vids and it is more than adequate. If someone's really into vid watching, my god man, why do it on a dinky phone screen. Black splotches I've never seen, but admittedly never really looked for either, calling it a non issue for me. As for feel, the Maxx feels better built and all around good in hand than most other phones I've had, but again personal preference.
    Bottom line is no phone is perfect for everyone, but the Maxx comes as close to perfect as I've ever had and it shall be a keeper for quite sometime IMHO.
  9. jtc303

jtc303 New Member

Ive heard people complaining about screen quality after the ICS update but I haven't seen any issues... mine is nice and sharp... netflix, hbo go, youtube, pictures... all good.
  10. revelated

revelated New Member

That was BEFORE the Rezound and other devices that came with higher quality screens. And if I recall, when the RAZR and RAZR MAXX were released internationally, the screen quality was superior to what we got in the US. I'm sick of that crap too. And no, I will not be importing phones only to find they half work.

I'm particular about wanting this battery tech to become ubiquitous so that I can select from other devices for their feature set instead of being essentially jailed to the MAXX because its battery is epic.

Also about the front camera what I mean is that the front camera is literally so bad that they may as well have excluded it. It's useless in low light and pointless even in the best light. I'd rather do without the extra cost if they can't be bothered to put a decent quality front camera in the device.

Do you know what I want?

- Battery life like the MAXX especially on 4G. I simply don't care about 3G anymore, it's too slow.
    - Kickstand like the Thunderbolt.
    - Screen quality like the HTC One X.
    - Camera like the PureView 808.
    - Radio like the Bionic/RAZR.
    - Flexibility, like the Galaxy Nexus (i.e. I can do whatever I want with it, customize it however I want, buy it direct from the retailer if I want, etc).
    - Call quality like the Nokia 900.
    - Atrix HD's MotoBlur or straight stock, I don't really care (given Flex).
    - Versatility of the ASUS Padfone (including tablet conversion) which would avoid Verizon's price reaming
    - Physical appearance of the ASUS Padfone
    - Charges with standard microUSB.
    - Takes microSD.
    - Quad Core (I know 4G apparently doesn't support all cores, but that also needs to get done stat)
    - Minimum 2GB of system RAM
    - Dedicated application storage space in the device, minimum 8GB.
    - Can switch to a full tablet view just by plugging in a microHDMI cable, doesn't matter if it's a TV or a monitor
    - Supports mass storage mode without rooting

I already know I won't get what I want because such a device would likely be (A) over $1000 and (B) so epic that it would murder sales of every other device on the carrier which of course Verizon wouldn't stand for.
  11. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator

:confused: The MAXX came out after the Rezound and the Galaxy Nexus. The RAZR came out a bit before they did, but the feel of the MAXX and the feel of the RAZR are quite different due to the difference in thickness. And no, the international versions of the RAZR and the RAZR MAXX have the exact same screen. The rumors and images of international versions with 720p screens haven't been released anywhere. They were probably prototypes of some sort.

There's no extra cost to you for the front facing camera. The phone would be the same price without it. So, again, if you don't use it, that's fine. Just ignore it. It doesn't impact the use of the phone whatsoever.

For having such lofty desires in a device, and for not liking the MAXX, it's interesting that the MAXX has many of things you want. Actually, it probably has more of the things you want than any other phone out there. And some of what you want, like the "Versatility of the ASUS Padfone (including tablet conversion)" it has in part with the lapdocks and Webtop. Given that Webtop is now tablet ICS, I'd be shocked if we don't see a tablet dock from Motorola.
  12. revelated

revelated New Member

We're not going to see the Padfone dock concept from Motorola or anyone else. Otherwise we'd have seen it by now from Samsung for sure. But Samsung wants you to buy multiple devices just like every other company besides ASUS.
  13. sweeeeet

sweeeeet Well-Known Member

I love how ppl try to stick up for the phone like they made it lol... if u don't have a maxx ur jealous of the battery life... but that's all ur jealous of... nothing else is more impressive over any other top phone out

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
  14. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator

I wouldn't be so sure. Like I said, look at the lapdocks, and then look at what Motorola has done with Webtop. Webtop is now the tablet version of ICS when hooked up to a lapdock or when connected via HDMI to a television/monitor. All they'd need to do is make a touchscreen lapdock without a keyboard. Everything is already in place for them to do it from a software standpoint. Samsung hasn't released anything like Webtop, and like you said, Samsung is far more invested in dedicated tablets. But Motorola, with the Xoom and Xyboard (both of which haven't done well from a sales standpoint) isn't invested in the same way Samsung is.
  15. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator

I love how people just like to come into a thread and troll by contributing absolutely nothing to the conversation.
  16. weatherlover1

weatherlover1 New Member

I will say if you don't like the feel of the phone you can find a case. I know its only one of your issues but it could possibly be fixed. I do agree with you on the battery life. I keep expecting to see more phones with 3300 battery and so far its like 2800 and I don't get it. I am very happy with my MAXX but when the time comes to replace it in a year or two I would love to see more phones with great battery life!
  17. CaptainSS

CaptainSS New Member

Well, there you have it.....
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  18. Garemlin

Garemlin Developer Relations

Trust me when I say a case, especially a TPU case will make it much more comfortable to hold. The thinness with the added width does make it uncomfortable to manage naked for me. I use a Diztronics TPU case and love it. Adds just enough thickness to make it managable and it is just grippy enough without being tacky.

Your other issues I can't offer a solution on as I don't have them myself. BT on mine is incredible. I have left my phone in the car and walked into a convience store and it never lost connection on my BT headset.

I will say that since the ICS update I have been getting data drops and connectivity issues that I never experienced on GB. But I also previously had the G'Nex and also tried the SIII for a few days and had the same experience with both. I have a theory that it is something about ICS and data that aren't playing nice together.

While I much prefer the USB port on the side I will say I like it much more on the top than on the bottom like other phones. It is easier to handle while charging.
  19. sweeeeet

sweeeeet Well-Known Member

keep sticking up for the maxx... im sure Motorola pays u well... i've added a whole lot more than you have ... he didn't come here to start a debate.. he isn't happy w the phone... deal with it

battery life .. second to none
    the rest ... average

its easy to google comparisons from professionals.. he doesn't need a homers opinion

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
  20. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator

Chill out. If you were to actually read the thread, I (along with several other posters) agreed with some of what he said. I don't have any issues with him not caring for the phone. I said several times that most of it comes down to personal preference. But just as he's entitled to say what he doesn't like about it, others are entitled to say what they do like about it.

You haven't added a single thing to the conversation besides to come in and try to stir up trouble when there wasn't any.
Search tags for this page

droid razr maxx keeps reconnecting to charge while on base

verizon droid razr keeps alerting me of storage usages, how