1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

I have alot of questions plz help

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by infinity8x3, Jun 30, 2010.

1. infinity8x3

infinity8x3 New Member

Hi every one,

I am really "really" thinking about rooting and installing the latest leaked froyo.

Being this late in the game should I just wait for the OTA update?

Can some one link me to the most up to date noob friendly guide to root a moto droid on 2.1update1. There is alot of faqs And I don't know what one to use.

I can tell Im going to need apps like sprecovery? Where do I get them from?

I want to OC but I think I need a special kernel Where do I get them?

Plus other super noobish questions.

Like if I install the latest leak of froyo where do I get it? and can I OC with it?

If I install froyo can I then use flash? I have yet to see flash running on a moto droid.

I hear you need to wipe your phone. How to do that?

Thanks a ton guy's
  2. gavron

gavron Guest

No. Nobody will put any work into rooting it, so you will only be able to root using the following method:
    1. Use Windows, RSDlite, flash SPrecovery SBF. This works for about 50% of the people. The rest get frustrated that RSDlite and Windows drivers won't work. (Well it's Windows... what do they expect?)
    2. Install a custom Froyo ROM.

So if you're going to have to do step 2 to root... why wait until you have to do step 1?

WiFi tethering in custom ROMs: free.
    WiFi tethering in VZW's ROM: requires extra fees, and is bandwidth limited.
    What's the difference? The VZW app tags the tethered traffic so they can keep track of it. The custom ROM one looks to VZW exactly as any other IP traffic from the droid.

The sticky at the top of the Droid Hacks forum is great. Since you are new perhaps you don't know that the sticky threads means "read these first." I recommend http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/37696-flashing-sprecovery-sbf-stock-2-1-a.html

Then find a 2.2 ROM you like. I use ChevyNo1's SimplyStunning4.2.

See the above link, or use search, or Let me google that for you

See the above link, or use search, or Let me google that for you

Go to the "Custom Android ROMs" section of the website. Choose your developer (Again, I love ChevyNo1's work) and choose their ROM that you want to try. (Again I love SimplyStunning4.2).

Yes. It works on mine.

That's covered in many threads.
    1. download adb. (no, don't ask, just google)
    2. follow the instructions to use adb shell to "format" the three partitions.

I wrote up a quick and dirty recap of my install:
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ch...4-cifs-nfs-updated-rstapps-24.html#post597281

Some followup posters suggested it could even be easier.

You're welcome. There is a TON of information here, written by people who want to share _how_ they did something. The "Advanced Search" option is great if you select "show results as POSTS"...

Also google indexes THIS and the other Android forums... as you can see by the searches above, you can type plain-English questions... and get GREAT links.

Good luck.

Ehud
  3. cnul8rguys

cnul8rguys New Member

go back to 2.0.1 using the sbf and rsd lite. if it doesnt work the first time, try again...

then root and flash the froyo roms. verizon stock 2.2 and 2.1 suck in comparison to the features that you can get in a rooted rom... ill never keep my phone stock again unless im going to the verizon store because its broken..
  4. cnul8rguys

cnul8rguys New Member

heres a little teaser of what you could have if you root and go to the rooted froyo rom VS. what you have on your phone right now....dancedroid

Attached Files:

5. gavron

gavron Guest

Which kernel and at what speed did you run it?

E
  6. cnul8rguys

cnul8rguys New Member

chevysno1 1.25ghz Lowvoltage @ 1.25 Ghz
  7. alonsou

alonsou New Member

I personally used this tutorial to root. Plain and simple. If you read everything a couple of times and follow the videos you will get your phone rooted pretty soon and successfully.

After rooting I can recommend a a link with some very valuable information regarding Roms links and pretty much anything that you need to improve your rooted Droid.

This is my current set up which is working amazingly

Bugless Beast V.04 Froyo 2.2
    2.6.32-lowV- 1.2Ghz Chevyno1 Kernel
    Launcher Pro/ADW

This set up gave me results up to 1677 on Quadrant which I think its pretty high.

There's a few must have apps that you should have after rooting

Rom manager
    SetCPU
    Astro
    Titanium Backup.

If you need more help shot me a PM.

Regardless of all this just like gavron said, use the search function, it will make your life easier.:icon_ banana:

Attached Files:

8. gavron

gavron Guest

Thanks! I got 1458 on Quadrant (better than Nexus One on 2.2) using 1.2GHz low voltage @ 1.2GHz.

37°C throughout. VERY NICE!

Thanks again :)

E
  9. infinity8x3

infinity8x3 New Member

Thanks every one! I have SPrecovery now flashed that's the hard part no? It went off with out a hitch. But now what should I do?

Never mind I just realized they sky is the limit. Although rommanager semi bricked my phone. I just repeated them steps and was good to go again :D