I have a rooted D2 with 2.2.20 and want 2.3.30.. What do I do?

OP
B

brownie13

Reaction score
this is just the stock 2.3.20 ROM right? I'm just going to get exactly what someone would get if they were unrooted and did this update?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i have a video how to do it give me a moment and i will post it.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
this video will allow you to see in the cw menu what I am referring to when I suggest wipe data and cache. It is a good vid.

to install the 2.3.20 do what is said on mdw as far as the steps. then once you are done wipe data and cache before rebooting.

[video=youtube;CbQEk_1ddAs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbQEk_1ddAs]YouTube - How To Load a Custom ROM on the Motorola Droid 2 (www.TheUnlockr.com)[/video]

CD95YJ

Reaction score
You could also install the update then go back through the Android SDK method (assuming you used that method because of the ease of use). Your phone will be "re-rooted" in a sense giving you all your root powers again.

OP
B

brownie13

Reaction score
Yes, I rooted using the SDK.

Either way I'm going to end up getting the exact same thing though?

CD95YJ

Reaction score
Correct, it will run through the root process, tell you all the files are already present and then apply them. Once its done you will have all your root access back as if it never left.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
either way works. SO as a user decide which is best for you.

OP
B

brownie13

Reaction score
if I go the ota update route.. should I defrost all the bloatware first? and I just re-root with the origional root method?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
yup..................

OP
B

brownie13

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Sorry I'm a pain in the ass. Just don't want to mess up my D2. I got it by downloading the ota and re-rooting. Appreciate the help

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
no problem ....ask questions. You may get different ways of doing things but both get you to the same path. The thing is to do what you the user feel comfortable doing.

Kyle06

Reaction score
well i had my droid 2 rooted... then it went though it's update and I lost root... so do I need to install the SBF file to my phone if I don't use roms?

Sorry still new to all this and learning just don't want to brick my phone...

I know this has probably been answered I just want to make sure I don't forget to do anything.... I ran SuperOneClick and it is in the process of rooting my phone again.....

again sorry if this has been answered already.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
reroot with the same method used from 2.2.20.

Kyle06

Reaction score
hmmm ran the superoneclick(it says my device has beeen rooted) and when I try to run wifi Teather... it says it does not have superuser access... I uninstalled and reinstalled the application am I doing something else wrong?

Last edited: