I have a question about closing out programs on the Droid Turbo.

cindylike24

Reaction score
My boss got the Droid Turbo smartphone a little over a week ago. I've got the Samsung Galaxy S3 and I have a button that will let me close out all of the programs running in the background to save battery usage. Is there any way that this can be done without him having to swipe each program off the screen when he wants to close out programs on his?

Thanks a lot in advance to anyone that can help me out on this one.

Cindy

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Can't you limit background programs in the Developer menu?

Or you can use Greenify to hibernate background apps. But I noticed it kept flashing my screen on to close programs so I uninstalled it.

OP
cindylike24

cindylike24

Reaction score
Can't you limit background programs in the Developer menu?

Or you can use Greenify to hibernate background apps. But I noticed it kept flashing my screen on to close programs so I uninstalled it.
I think that he did try that but to no avail about limiting processes. I've tried Greenify on my S3 and it didn't work out very well for me so I'm hesitant to recommend for him to try it on his phone.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Closing all apps really doesn't save much, if anything on battery life.

Apps are kept in a "frozen" state when you close them (with exception of apps that auto update themselves or poll servers for info, but those will do that whether you close them or not). This way, you can go back to them quickly and pick up where you left off.

There's no need to close ALL apps ever if battery is your concern.

Sent from my Note 4

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't have lag or notice battery drain from apps in the background. I have a very heavy home set-up and have a lot of apps and widgets....still average 1.2-1.5 gigs of ram free.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I used to be obsessed with closing apps until someone told me that. Now, I might close one once in a while that I know I won't be using again any time soon, but let the rest stay in memory for quicker access later. When I stopped closing them, I noticed no change in battery, but the apps I use the most open a bit quicker.

Sent from my Note 4

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
One thing I'd recommend is to schedule a nightly reboot (while you sleep), if you have Tasker or Locale. I still think a daily reboot keeps the phone running better.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
True, or reboot it at bed time or when you wake up. That's what I do. Plug it in and reboot it as I lay down. Keeps things fresh.

Sent from my Note 4

OP
cindylike24

cindylike24

Reaction score
Thanks you everyone for your input on this. I'll make sure I let him know about this when he gets back from vacation next week.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 8" model using Tapatalk

TatDroid

Reaction score
Check your battery stats at the end of the day to see what's using the battery. Unless you see something high on the list that you think shouldn't be, there's really no need for concern.

Sent from my Droid Turbo

OP
cindylike24

cindylike24

Reaction score
Check your battery stats at the end of the day to see what's using the battery. Unless you see something high on the list that you think shouldn't be, there's really no need for concern.

Sent from my Droid Turbo
Ok. That's fine. I used to have a Motorola Droid Bionic but I couldn't remember if there was any way to clear off all of the programs that were running in the background in one fell swoop. Now have a Samsung Galaxy S3 where there is a close all button.

Cindy

Rocer

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 4
Ever since Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0) Android has been doing a great job of suspending unused apps. So it's less of an issue.

Note 4 me

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Closing all apps really doesn't save much, if anything on battery life.

Apps are kept in a "frozen" state when you close them (with exception of apps that auto update themselves or poll servers for info, but those will do that whether you close them or not). This way, you can go back to them quickly and pick up where you left off.

There's no need to close ALL apps ever if battery is your concern.

Sent from my Note 4

And in many cases, taking the time to close all of those apps actually uses up more of the battery than if you just let them be and allow Android to do its thing. :)

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
And in many cases, taking the time to close all of those apps actually uses up more of the battery than if you just let them be and allow Android to do its thing. :)
Not to mention the slight tax on CPU & RAM when you open an app back up, which, in turn, uses more battery than if you'd just left it.

Sent from my Note 4

Last edited: