I have a question about clearing the cache partition in the boot menu of an HTC phone

pete4www

Reaction score
I have a question. I have an HTC Incredible, and I would like to know if I go into the boot menu (by holding down power and volume down), go into Recovery, and clear the cache partition, will it delete any bookmarks I have saved on my internet browser? The reason I ask is because clearing the cache has seemed to clear up an issue for other people with the same phone, but I DON'T want to delete my bookmarks saved. If it does delete the bookmarks, I guess I can just write all of them down before I do it. Thanks to anyone that can answer this.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Quick answer: No, your bookmarks should be fine.

Longer answer? The system cache collects a lot of data for apps as they are running, and like the dalvik cache it keeps this data in the memory to help boot the phone up faster as well as boot up apps faster. When u clear your cache and reboot it may take 5 minutes for the phone to refresh everything and boot up, which is normal. Its typically good housekeeping to clear your caches every month or so, assuming you power off your phone twice a week. Just like a windows machine, this helps prevent garbage data from building up and causing errors/crashes/slowdowns.

Ironically the iphone works the same way as android, yet they give no "housekeeping" utilities to the user to prevent long term problems.

//edit/ Make sure you select clear cache only! And NOT wipe data/factory reset!!! Because then you WILL lose your apps/bookmarks etc. So be careful when using the boot menu!

OP
P

pete4www

Reaction score
Thanks, my bookmarks did not disappear, and the phone seems to be running better now!

dpxpoz

Reaction score
I have a question. I have an HTC Incredible, and I would like to know if I go into the boot menu (by holding down power and volume down), go into Recovery, and clear the cache partition, will it delete any bookmarks I have saved on my internet browser? The reason I ask is because clearing the cache has seemed to clear up an issue for other people with the same phone, but I DON'T want to delete my bookmarks saved. If it does delete the bookmarks, I guess I can just write all of them down before I do it. Thanks to anyone that can answer this.

A couple of months ago my HTC Incredible was updated to 2.3.4. I don't access the 'net a lot but I have a bookmarked Wunderground page of local radar. The page is animated-a 6 frame loop-but since the update it no longer animates even tho the page says it's animating. I've checked settings, opened a new page, and, rebooted the phone. I contacted Wunderground and their response was, "If you are still having trouble viewing the mobile radar or animation, please make sure that you have turned on web page animation in your phone's settings."
It is on, at least, the only setting I have is for "Animations" in my Display settings and the choices are "no animations", "some animations", and "all animations". "All" is checked (on). Still no help. My life won't end if I can't get radar maps to animate but itcan come in handy like when we went to an outdoor concert Saturday and there was rain on the radar but I didn't know which way it was moving and we got wet.
So reading this, when I try what you describe-holding down the power and volume all I get is the power options window. A little help?