I have a big decision to make. Help?

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
So, as many on this forum, I am grandfathered into unlimited data. I currently have the Maxx HD and love it, but I work as an authorized reseller and my concession account allows me to only sign 1 year contracts. My dilemma is that I am really considering the Maxx. I could just drop to the 2gb, I'd just have to make sure I use wifi. But I have the option to move to a new concession plan for the Share Everything plan where I don't pay the line access fee and get 50% off the rate plan. This means for 4gb I would pay 35/month, which would definitely be enough data. My issue is actually giving up unlimited. What does the future hold?? I really don't want to spend $600+ on another phone, nor can I really afford to. Ahh, I'm so torn!

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you truly don't ever see you going over 4gb it sounds like a winner. I gave up unlimited but decided I was hanging onto it for dear life out of fear and the principle. Since 2008 I've only gone above 2gb once and that was mostly to see how much extra I'd have to use the phone to do it. Now back with the vcast plan on dumbphones it was a different story because I streamed Sonoma fm website radio for hours upon hours and used an app I can't remember the name of to stream music , videos and photos from my desktop to my Dare. I exceeded 5gb every month when I was using that phone.

OP
jackiescivic

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Last month was 2.04gb. The most I've ever used was over 4 and that was thanks to Netflix and training the meter on the old Razr Maxx. I probably will do the change, since I know I don't necessarily NEED unlimited, I just like the word (kind of like the woman I upgraded today who barely used half a gig on her Tbolt).

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah it's like they suddenly put a limit on the crab legs at the Chinese buffet. I never ate more than a couple of plate fulls, the new limit is 6 plates full but......

OP
jackiescivic

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Well, unlimited is officially gone as of yesterday :-( Haven't bought the phone yet, but they switched my plan right away. I almost feel bad about doing it, but 4gb will be more than enough for what I use, and I still won't need to connect to wifi

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
1.Moto-G, Droid-X, 3.Droid 2
Twitter
@AECRADIO
I think many are somewhat reserved about using their plans 'AS' unlimited, and even if they do have this, many rarely use that much data or bandwidth, but they pay for the excess never used.
I think it a bit extreme to be willing to pay a larger fee for the occasional usage, but never sign up for a plan many already know, they will never need nor utilize.

I have everything connected via WiFi, and if possible, I stay this way, which is why I have placed commercial 'S' band collinear antennas at both of my WiFi locations. I need the range, and refuse to be 'tethered' to my home or shop. When I am working in my RF shop (Farady cage), I need a good signal, but NOT the bandwidth, and I dropped VZW as a contract plan as we do not need to pay for things we seldom use.
I love a good NetFlix movie also, but not if I need to upgrade my plan to stream the latest Star Trek movie. I am already paying for this, and have no need to stream via my phone's data connection and incur still more fees and charges just for streaming. My wife and I watch our usage, not for cost, but to see what we really need and use every month, which is why we decided to opt for a prepaid plan, which gives us everything we need and use, and when we feel he urge to get crazy, we use our internet and WiFi to stream music and video on our walks at night. It's nice to listen to your choice of music on your phone when you are nearly a mile from your WiFi connection, but I will not divulge how I get that distance!
This is where we save $$ by not buying into bloat plans, spending more for things we do not need, which means more $$ in the pocket for us.

After being a cellular customer since 1984, I no longer need to use more than I actually need, nor do we need to stream everything to our phones. For us, a prepaid plan makes far more sense.
My arms have shrunk since I no longer have to lug around a 'transporable' phone...And I have three in my collection, including the last model by Circle-M that I gave to my father when I was an employee of a local cell company ( now I contract to VZW and Cel.... So instead of a phone, I drag spectrum analyzers and test equipment/computers to commission cell sites).

I apologize, I tend to get a case of typist's diarrhea....
Star-Trek-vs_-Star-Wars.jpg

OP
jackiescivic

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
So long as I work for a cellular company, I will never use prepaid. I get my phone for $35/month and am guaranteed to have signal.