I hate to say it, but because the D2 is lacking Rom selection...

Discussion in 'Droid 2 Roms' started by MrKleen, Dec 2, 2010.

1. MrKleen

MrKleen New Member

I am thinking of getting the X. :(

I really do like my D2 but the roms I used to enjoy so much on my D1 are just not coming to the D2. I always enjoyed Chevy roms and JRummy roms.

Obviously the D1 was a rom machine! The D2 is a great phone, but it seems all the attention is going to the X and nobody cares about the 2.

My wife has an upgrade available and wants a phone with a keyboard. My D2 will work well for her and she may be kind enough to let me use her upgrade to get myself an X.

My decision has nothing to do with anything other than rom choice. The function of my D2 is awesome...
  2. UrbanBounca

UrbanBounca Rescue Squad Staff Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

It's pretty slim, but Fission is pretty awesome if you like the original Android feel.
  3. MrKleen

MrKleen New Member

I like Fission and Squidly but I like to change things out often.
  4. MattyP

MattyP Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

I guess this is as good a place as any to ask this question...

I have a D2, rooted and all that. It's my first smartphone, and I am amazed by it and I love it to death. But as far as "ROM's"... what are the advantages and differences? What exactly do ROM's do that the stock ROM doesn't do? Just curious...
  5. cpjr

cpjr New Member

If you base what phone you want on how many ROMs are out for it, ummm, your not gonna be happy.
    The D2 was released last.....you gotta give it time.
  6. UrbanBounca

ROM's can do anything from remove all the bloatware to integrating options. For example, the stock software has all the bloatware, such as Blockbuster, Kindle, and Amazon. If I load Fission, the only applications I have are the ones I download.
  7. MattyP

MattyP Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

OK, well what happens when it comes time for an OTA update? I was rooted when the 2.3.20 update came out, and I had to put back the bloatware I had deleted when I first rooted. There were only 3, but one of them (CityID) was a pain because it's not downloadable. I re-rooted after the update.

Since the OTA does checksums, what happens with a device with a different ROM?
  8. spaz33g

spaz33g Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

You will probably have to revert to a nandroid backup of your stock setup.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App
  9. UrbanBounca

When you flash with a ROM, you no longer need to download updates via VZW. You need to keep up with the ROM author for their ROM updates.
  10. MrKleen

MrKleen New Member

Yes but the D2 is now replaced while the DX is still going strong. There is more of an X community. Don't get me wrong ... I like the D2.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  11. trook

trook New Member

I agree with you 110%.. I'm not trying to thread jack but I started a thread asking about porting dx roms to the d2 yesterday as its driving me crazy. The Roms we have are great roms (especially Fission, thank god for Fission) but people that like to flash roms (hardcore android people), like choices.. and we just don't have enough. 2 maybe 3 roms? The d2 was released very soon after the dx and I think enough time has gone by to show where the majority of the rom developers time and energy goes... The DX!!!, I love my Droid 2. I love that I can fit it into my pocket unlike the DX which should come with a backpack as it is so big it makes my hands look small... and I'm 6'4" ! Sorry about the novel here and if I offended anyone, I mean no disrespect I'm just very passionate on this subject.
  12. crome1115

crome1115 New Member

lol.. just my 2cents but i love my d2..and fission is hands down the BEST rom out for it. yes pickings are slim but i'm just fine with fission 2.2.2 with fusion theme and launcher pro plus.. no need to switch as anyone who has donated and uses the rom manager can tell you.. .Team Defuse is on it.. they are constantly updating the rom.. i just downloaded an upgrade for it and they have put the fusion theme on there as well along with some nice add ons..anyone who has a D2 and loves it would be happy with this build and the themes available for it..but then agian im not a HARD CORE anroid guy..hehe. i just rooted to stick it to the man..(verizon) lol.. plus i love the themes and options only available to rooted users...WIRELESS TETHER FTW!!..lol. anways just my 2cents..
  13. MrKleen

MrKleen New Member

I've got Fission 2.2.2 and it's just fine. But I miss Chevy and Jrummy from my D1 days. They are over with the X and I don't know if they are going to give us a D2 version or not, but it doesn't seem like it.
  14. jimmypopulous

jimmypopulous New Member

Coming from the Incredible, there's certainly a lack of ROMs here.

I picked up a D2G; I'll spend some time this weekend tooling with the CM source, but after looking at the other AOSP-based offerings for the D2, it seems that porting won't be easy.
  15. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

Actually I have been wanting to pep up the devs to make awesome roms for the d2. I have something in mind but it will have to wait until my current contest is over.
  16. spaz33g

spaz33g Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

I like the sound of that

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App
  17. ultima

ultima New Member

+10000000000000000000000000000000

my D2 says thank you
  18. Malvado

Malvado DF News Team/Mod Premium Member

most devs dont develop roms for the droid 2 because of the locked bootloader...thats why cyanogen mod isnt coming to d2
  19. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

droid x has the same "locked" bootloader. You can develop a rom just fine. Now you are right in that not having CM make a rom for the d2 could be causing the hold up because some devs use CM as their base for their rom. But not all devs base their rom off cyanogen and plus cyanogen had to start some where. People have a chance to make a name for themselves .... build a solid rom for the dx, d2, and future droids and put their name up their with pete, chevy, koush, and others.
  20. trook

trook New Member

That sounds like a great idea, anything you can do to remedy this would instantly upgrade you to droid 2 hall of fame status and I will do anything that is asked of me to assist in your mission.

To respond to what crome1115 said: I Love Fission, I have donated, I will donate again if they needed it. I am running 2.2.2 with the fusion theme. Fission Rom manager is the bomb. Its Amazing, Angdroid is my hero, I'm thinking of getting a team defuse tatoo. :)

BUT... I love playing with my d2, I love trying new things, new themes, new hacks, new settings, NEW ROMS. More than likely I will be a Fissionoid until the day my phone dies from some horrible disease like ghonnaherpecyphillaids. But I just want a couple more roms to play with.