I hate to be this guy but...

Mooselodge24

Reaction score
I'm obviously curious on when the legit gingerbread update comes out, but have been curious seeing all these threads/posts of people getting it on their phone and liking it.

Well i'm not technically savvy with the phone or anything, but given instructions n such I can obviously do the work. so i'm asking, is it worth me to try and get this update somehow and where's the best way to find it? I just don't wanna try searching a million things and having to seek through it all. Thanks in advance.

Brennan_Huber

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
First question are you rooted?

FreeMyMoto!!
FreeMyMoto!!
FreeMyMoto!!

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
You're not "This Guy" you are the current "Next Guy" to ask, and there will be those after you...

If you want it, only you can answer that question. Your curious, which means you want to try it.

Simple words of wisdom, plenty of sites/threads to show you how, I'm only going to say:

MAKE A BACKUP FIRST.

Then you are safe in case anything happens.

since you wish to have someone do the work, then you may go here, which has all you need:

How to: Get Rooted Gingerbread on DROID X - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Standard disclaimers apply, won't be held responsible for a brick, or any joygasims experienced following a successful flash (yours, I'll take responsibility for any women involved :) )

DARTH MAXIMUS

Reaction score
agreed, everyone starts somewhere, do ur homework, and do ALL of it. most of these guys using the "B" word(brick) hav no idea how difficult it truly is to brick ur phone. the beauty to remember is that almost anything u do wrong can b fixed. no fear, just do the reading, ur phone deserves that. i hav a notebook of procedures and nothing has ever gone wrong as a result :) enjoi

x

OP
Mooselodge24

Mooselodge24

Reaction score
now as for the backup, are you saying just do the backup assistant? or is this part of the "do your homework and read" part

droidxethan

Reaction score
u make a backup with bootstrap u should really get GB its nice ive had it since it was leaked out and i love it

OP
Mooselodge24

Mooselodge24

Reaction score

Darkside86

Reaction score
step 1: if your not on a rooted droid x, download z4root and click permanent root, it will go through it's processes and reboot your phone. you can check if your rooted (my way) by looking to see if you have the superuser app installed on your phone, if so...Success

step 2: Droid X Gingerbread (2.3.3) - Release - PreRooted this is the link to the rooted gb leak, download this file and put it on your sd card.

step 3: download droid x bootstrap from the market and install, When you open the app click on the top tab (forget what exactly it says) and that will install the recovery on your phone. After it says success, choose bootstrap recovery and your phone will reboot into recovery

step 4: scroll down (with the volume keys) and choose (camera key) "backup and restore" choose backup and wait. (takes a little while)

step 4: scroll down and choose to wipe data/factory reset,

step 5: also scroll down to wipe cache partition and wipe that

step 6: scroll to install zip from sd card and find the GingerBread file you put on your sd card.

step 7: choose to install

step 8: press the back hard key to go back a menu and choose to reboot phone,

you should now be on the gingerbread leak. Hopefully this helps put things into perspective.

Last edited:
OP
Mooselodge24

Mooselodge24

Reaction score
as previously said, i went to the xda site and downloaded the z4 root.apk file to my computer... this is where i just need to get it on phone then i'll be good with everyone's instructions from there.

Thanks everyone alot for helping out and sorry for bein a pain. just makin sure i use correct steps and learn the process enough