I hate ics and need some workaround advice please

comedyboy

Reaction score
I hate the ICS update on the email and the dialer which no longer has contacts tab or ability to split RECENT into sub categories of MISSED, OUTGOING, INCOMING The mail reader stinks. Menu key is useless and all the buttons like REPLY are on top now. Awful.

Having bars of call strength much lower now

Google Voice search icon gone

WORKAROUNDS ?

Is there any way to get CONTACTS on the dialer screen like it used to be?

Any way to split recent calls like it used to?

Is there a news widget anymore?

Yeti35

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S8+ w/ a Tech 21 case
Missed, incoming, and out going calls are just simplified in this version and it actually was the same on the GB version as the ICS version. When in recent you will see an green up arrow beside the number for out going call. You will see a blue down arrow for incoming call and a red bent arrow for a missed call. Everything is on one screen which makes it a lot better then individual screens as it used to be.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I hate the ICS update on the email and the dialer which no longer has contacts tab or ability to split RECENT into sub categories of MISSED, OUTGOING, INCOMING The mail reader stinks. Menu key is useless and all the buttons like REPLY are on top now. Awful.

Having bars of call strength much lower now

Google Voice search icon gone

WORKAROUNDS ?

Is there any way to get CONTACTS on the dialer screen like it used to be?

Any way to split recent calls like it used to?

Is there a news widget anymore?

While in the dialer press the search key. For the voice search, you can either:

press the search key, then the mic.
Add the google search widget and press the mic
go into settings > Accessibility > Double tap home launch and pick Voice Search. Double tapping the home key will activate it.

OP
C

comedyboy

Reaction score
Gee thanks

While I appreciate you replying, I was asking for a work around to things that are NEW and I DO NOT like about ICS. What I didn't need was you telling me wrong information and telling me that YOU like it. I also don't need you to explain the arrows if you read my post.

In Gingerbread the recent calls were NOT the same way as they are now. Yes they had arrows but you could choose to look at JUST the missed calls or JUST the OUTGOING or JUST the INCOMING calls . You can't do that now.

So don't take this the wrong way but I still need the same help I was asking for before or an APP recommendation that is like the Gingerbread dialer.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Go Contacts EX might work for what you want...you can access previous calls (missed, dialed) and have the contact list...

OP
C

comedyboy

Reaction score
Thanks

Yeah I know all the ways to do a Voice Search but I really liked the ICON on my desktop. I ended up using the White Google widget and shrinking it down to 1 icon so Mic is showing . Pretty close to the original :)

OP
C

comedyboy

Reaction score
Thanks Small Town Girl

I love Go products. I have Go Contacts and it's not bad but it doesn't sync Contacts with Facebook if the names are different. There is no way to manually JOIN like in default dialer. It's a good back up though. Thanks for the suggestion.