I had a thought... wait... ummm... yah I had a thought!

OP
W
Reaction score
There is nothing to debate. Its a stupid analogy and that's the end of it. Software takes up space on a storage device, not the OS. Its the software's processes that use real resources and in most cases if the program isn't running its not using anything but space which has no effect on speed UNLESS your space is very limited.

Not a problem anymore with today's storage solutions. If space was that big of an issue this forum and every other one that is hosted on this server would run like crap from all the wasted space by useless posts on this forum.

That wasn't the point he was trying to make. He used the "size of the house" idea but we all know he meant OS power vs hardware power and speed, not storage space.

-Wil

Thank you. And he even agreed to the point of hardware advancing. lol

OP
W
Reaction score
If you like it or not, people want, better, faster, stronger. If we kept Android OS simple (even if it is fast) we lose an edge.
You're confusing "simple" with not bloated. The OS doesn't have to be simple to not be bloated with every conceivable option that everyone could possible want. The whole point of Android (for me) is that it's extensible. I can make it what I want without having to deal with all the other junk that everyone else in the world wants that I'll never use.

Should a PC OS come loaded with every app out there? We already complain when manufacturers load their crap out of the box. Same thing, IMO.

I see what you are saying.

I stated the word "slate". Meaning clean. Able to be extensible. I'm not confusing the words. A lot of users here, want... (and are very emotional about their stand point... why? lol) customizable, clean slated OSs. So they have speed, more storage, and the availability to go and download any app without having to worry about it clogging their OS. Thats understandable. I propose... why can't we have that with Android having more "out of the box" features? It hasn't stopped Windows, Apple, etc...

i lost 5 minutes of my life reading this bad analogy.

Woah? Really? I made you lose 5 minutes of your life? Wouldn't that make me like the Grim Reaper? Woah... :icon_ devil:

natty_lite

Reaction score
I only have a problem with bad software. So if I find it useful, then I could care less about "bloat"

OP
W
Reaction score
I only have a problem with bad software. So if I find it useful, then I could care less about "bloat"

I totally agree. Could you imagine buying a Droid, open it up, and it said something like "Android OS has unexpectedly quit, please reboot"? People would be pissed. But I think some of the members here would go download "Crash Fix App". L

bacalao

Reaction score
My computer science buddy was telling me that hardware is so far ahead of software. We don't have software (OS included) that can really use full performance of hardware in modern computers.
How does it apply, well just ask people that overclock. People getting more juice from the hardware with software solution.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
u bent on having google add more to the os

no disrespect to the op but was looking for a reason to use this: :icon_censored:

OP
W
Reaction score
I'm bent on getting better technology.

Disrespect? I don't take this online stuff seriously. Check me signature.

SGTiger

Reaction score
I'm bent on getting better technology.

I heard they had some "better technology" at the app store, but I'm not sure. If they do have "better technology" there, it may be quicker source instead of waiting on Google to preinstall it with the O/S for you. Here's a link:

AndroLib, Find all applications and games available in the Android Market for your Android Phone, HTC Dream, HTC Magic etc...

and here's another:
How do you spell "coffee?" | ChaCha Answers
:icon_ devil:

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I really understand some people not wanting a lot of features on Android because they don't want a "bloated" OS. I completely understand that. I don't want a slow Android OS.

But follow me here... it should make sense... hopefully...

Think of hardware as a house, and the software (OS) as the furniture.

You can't put a lot of furniture into a small house, because it will be hard to move around, which would be the main problem. Furniture can never by itself be "too much". It depends on the host, the house. Unless you have Windows on certain PCs that come with pre-installed software (blah!).

If we kept the Android OS the way it is, and hardware gets better and better every three months (lets assume this is the average advancement rate) we will eventually have a OS that is "behind the curve". We would have a Operating System not fully sourcing its host.

Hardware and Software have hand in hand in advancing the world. Software says "hey H, the more room you give me, the better I can get", and Hardware says "ok S, the more you push me, the better we can get faster".

If you like it or not, people want, better, faster, stronger. If we kept Android OS simple (even if it is fast) we lose an edge. While at the same token Apple, Windows, etc... will be getting better hardware from device makers, and they will push the boundaries.

And guess what? If we push Android OS to be better and better, we get better hardware, an OS with more features, and more room for.... customization... that means the Exploitation Developers will have such a huger ball because they will have better hardware to optimize, and better OSs to optimize.

Its basically a win, win, win situation. For the creators, the developers, and the customers.

Remember, the more room you have, the more room you have to be creative.

I couldn't agree more. There is no reason why an open source customizable device should have limitations placed on the software, if the software is proven stable. Do I want a lot of the stuff I think is junk and fluff on my Droid? Probably not, but because I don't want it doesn't mean someone esle shouldn't have the chance to make that decision on their own.
To take your analogy one step further, there are many members here who wouldn't use a "sleeper sofa" in their "house", so they want to tell you its stupid for you to want a "sleeper sofa" of your own.
Fan boys suck, and it doesnt matter if they are Apple fan boys or Droid fan boys, and the fan boy mentality has taken over most of DFN.