i gotta say the screen is awful

biggdave92

Reaction score
Phone screen isn't blurry and I see no bluish tint.

I think people are really pulling hairs here.

maybe not all of them are blue. we'll have to see what happens over the next couple weeks. I have been waiting on this phone for a while. I really wanted it but when i saw the screen, i cringed.

greenmile

Reaction score
I held the D4 next to a maxx yesterday and the maxx display blew it away. He!!, my D1 blew it away. Blacks arnt black, whites arnt white, etc... piss poor display. I've been waiting on this phone for a few months. What a waste. I am now trying to decide between nexus, maxx, or rezound. I really like the nexus display, but the maxx may win this battle.

I'm finding it hard to believe people are having this response to the screen without either preconceived notions, bones to pick, or just bold-faced biased opinions in purpose of bashing the D4 or putting other phones on a pedestal. It's a qHD screen, not Amoled, we all know that and should expect the pros/cons that come with that. No surprises here on the screen.

Any normal person who uses this phone would think the screen looks, well, like a fine, crisp screen. "Piss poor" isn't an apt representation of this screen. That's what I'd call a black and white Treo from 1999, not this phone.

twright86

Reaction score
Wonder how long before they come out with some Droid 4 Global MAXX blah blah blah with a better screen...and this phone is in the bargain bin in true Moto style.

greenmile

Reaction score
Wonder how long before they come out with some Droid 4 Global MAXX blah blah blah with a better screen...and this phone is in the bargain bin in true Moto style.

I seriously doubt we'll ever see a MAX version of the D4 - there's just no room for it. The Razor had the "hump" which naturally lent itself to getting filled-in with extra battery juice.

I don't see another slider coming out for about a year with the D5 which will be quad core, more ram, and yes, a better screen.

And I'll be loving the D4 until that comes out.

LadyHottShott

Reaction score
Well compared to the 2 inch Samsung Alias 2 screen I'm coming from, this screen will probably look like heaven to me, lol.

I love how all the haters are saying stay away from the Droid 4 and get the blah blah blah - all phones that don't have a physical keyboard!

Who the heck wants to text and e-mail on a stupid touch screen all day? NOT ME! :p

twright86

Reaction score
Well compared to the 2 inch Samsung Alias 2 screen I'm coming from, this screen will probably look like heaven to me, lol.

I love how all the haters are saying stay away from the Droid 4 and get the blah blah blah - all phones that don't have a physical keyboard!

Who the heck wants to text and e-mail on a stupid touch screen all day? NOT ME! :p
Believe me, I hear you about having to type on a touch screen, it was tough and still is tough getting used to.

That said, I'm glad I didn't wait for this phone, one that I feel will be phased out rather quickly.

greenmile

Reaction score
Phased out? Doubt it. This will be the de facto premium slider for 8-12 months without a doubt.

twright86

Reaction score
Phased out? Doubt it. This will be the de facto premium slider for 8-12 months without a doubt.
So when do you think it gets ICS?

This summer?

I for one think it NEVER gets it, and will be phased out for a better version like Droid 4 Global if you will. Moto sure knows how to piss off the customer.

Reaction score
So when do you think it gets ICS?

This summer?

I for one think it NEVER gets it, and will be phased out for a better version like Droid 4 Global if you will. Moto sure knows how to piss off the customer.

Will get ICS earlier than you think. I predict Q2. Just like Razr and Bionic.

Also, Motorola had already stated they will not be pushing out any more New phones like they have.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

twright86

Reaction score
Will get ICS earlier than you think. I predict Q2. Just like Razr and Bionic.

Also, Motorola had already stated they will not be pushing out any more New phones like they have.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
Yeah I went to the Motorola website and they state that Razr, Xoom and Bionic will be getting it for sure(https://forums.motorola.com/pages/00add97d6c). Didn't see anything about the Droid 4. Infact I looked up Droid 4 and ICS on google, and some of the things I have found weren't encouraging. Including the Engadget review which basically said not to hold your breath for an ICS update before the summer.

RoninX

Reaction score
The screen is okay.

Static images are clear and sharp. Yes, you can see a screen door effect when flipping through the app drawer and when scrolling through white text on black backgrounds. If you look closely when scrolling black text on a white background, you can see a bit of blurring, as if the text were in boldface rather than normal weight.

3D games like Dead Space are rendered beautifully. If you look very closely at 2D games like Angry Birds, you can see a tiny bit of ghosting around your bird in flight.

I don't see any noticeable tint.

Videos look fine. Looking at the D4 side-by-side with the D2, playing the same video, it's tough to see any difference in clarity. Perhaps the advantage of the higher resolution of the D4's screen balances out the advantage of RGB stripe on the D2's screen. The D2's screen might be a tiny bit sharper, but any difference is small.

If you want to see the worst-case scenario for an RGBW pentile screen, look at the settings menu for a third-party app that has a lot of white-on-black text that you can scroll through. The text is clear when stationary, but noticeably blurry when scrolled.

It's not the world's best screen -- but it is the world's best keyboard and one of the world's fastest phones. I'm willing to make that compromise.

Last edited:

t35rk

Reaction score
The screen is a deal breaker for me. I enjoyed my D1 and my Incredible more.

Played with one today and what a disappointment it is sitting next to the beautiful screen of the Razr. For the next two years I would be thinking what could have been.

Great build all around, with a keyboard that would be worth going back to the extra bulk for.

Kudos to those that like the screen. It seems like a great phone.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

RoninX

Reaction score
Really? You like the trade offs of the droid 4 over the Gnex? I don't have a G Nex myself, so I'm not going to defend it. But you didn't want a Razr, Razr Maxx, or Rezound? All 3 of those don't have the issue that your are claiming the D4 has.

And none of those have a keyboard. Personally, I'd love for HTC to start putting great keyboards back on their high-end phones. I had a G1, and while it wasn't beautiful, the ergonomics were superb. But until we see a Galaxy Nexus slider, a Rezound slider, or an Endeavor slider, the D4 is the only game in town.

lundgren

Reaction score
I noticed the screen blur when reading a book. I can live with it, not my favorite, but I want the keyboard.

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums

haus

Reaction score
It was the same on the D3. It has a ghosting problem but the trade off is power efficiency and it's very good in direct sunlight. Coming from a GNEX and I'm very happy so far. Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Any chance you can take a photo of the screen in direct sunlight? The Engadget review, which pretty much pi**ed all over the Droid 4 and seems highly biased against it, said: "Out in broad daylight, even with brightness set to the maximum, we found ourselves continually shielding the phone so as to render its contents readable. This became particularly bothersome where photo-taking is concerned, as we were never quite able to tell what was being framed by the camera's viewfinder. Tilt slightly away from the phone and immediately you'll notice an apparent wash out, although viewing angles didn't take as drastic a hit." Screen performance outdoors is very important to me, not for photos but for reading email, specifically black text on a white screen. My Photon 4G has amazing outdoor/bright sunlight performance but the lack of keyboard is frustrating.