I got the Gingerbread OTA update...

Nyobie

Reaction score
OTA GB is ready for download here in Southeast Michigan. I did a forced 'Software Update' check to see if it's available now. If it's going to take 4G for the download, that's really dumb. I'll wait until tomorrow when the signal is better at my house. The pop-up message I got when I was notified during my software check asked me what I wanted to do. Download now, Defer, or Reject. I tapped 'Defer' and a date selection popped up. It's nice to have options.

Nyobie

Reaction score
Ok, so after doing a little more reading on the positive feedback people posted on this particular OTA update, this girl changed her mind. I decided to go ahead and see if the download would actually require 4G but it doesn't. The Wifi indicator stayed on with an occasional blip of 3G which turned on and off a couple times. The total download time took about 6 minutes on my broadband connection which typically runs around 14-16Mbps down. Another message popped up at the end of the download which warned me that 911 service as well as making and receiving phone calls would be unavailable for the next 15 minutes if I allowed the download to continue with the installation process. I selected OK and now I'm waiting... anxiously... to try the new features. I'll post again with any noticeable issues if any, or if the overall update seems to be working well. I'll give myself a day before posting so I don't jump the gun with a user error on my part thinking it's a system issue when it might just be me.

:blink:

A good cup of hot chocolate sounds yummie right now.

tituswife

Reaction score
OTA GB is ready for download here in Southeast Michigan. I did a forced 'Software Update' check to see if it's available now. If it's going to take 4G for the download, that's really dumb. I'll wait until tomorrow when the signal is better at my house. The pop-up message I got when I was notified during my software check asked me what I wanted to do. Download now, Defer, or Reject. I tapped 'Defer' and a date selection popped up. It's nice to have options.

What's a forced software update check? Thanks.

Sent from my stock Thunderbolt

tbolted

Reaction score
Two issues I've had with the update so far:

1. The "Benefits of Software Update" pdf says: "Under Manage Applications, a new “Running” tab displays a list of active
applications and the storage and memory being used by each."

No, that's what I had before I updated. Now if I go to the "Running" tab it shows running services, not applications. I have to go to the All tab look at each app (Blockbuster, Books, etc) to see if it's running and force stop it.

2. Phone just rebooted, randomly. Battery was at ~25% and I plugged it in, a few minutes later my bluetooth beeped in my ear. When I looked at the phone it had the white boot screen. No idea what that was about, but I haven't had random reboots since the last update.

Nyobie

Reaction score
A forced Software Update Check can be found on the Thunderbolt by going to Settings --> Software Update --> Check New. The phone reaches out to the Verizon Network and checks to see if a newer version of software is available for your phone.

After all that excitement, when my phone was ready to use again last night, I saw that it's not Gingerbread. It's still 2.11.605.5. Bummer. The download and installation took somewhere around 20 minutes total.

Last edited:

LowRentTechGuy

Reaction score
A forced Software Update Check can be found on the Thunderbolt by going to Settings --> Software Update --> Check New. The phone reaches out to the Verizon Network and checks to see if a newer version of software is available for your phone.

After all that excitement, when my phone was ready to use again last night, I saw that it's not Gingerbread. It's still SDK (2.11.605.5). Bummer. The download and installation took somewhere around 20 minutes total.

That is the 2.3.4 build, it is gingerbread.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Nyobie

Reaction score
For real? Then what's all the hype about? UI wise, it's nearly the same. I spent an hour meandering through the apps, settings, etc. and noticed subtle differences including a second tab added to the notification screen where you can now find quick settings. The app button changed to an icon that looks like a 4x4 icon grid and the Apps screen now has 4 groupings and now scrolls full pages at a time instead of a continuous flow.

At first, my phone was sluggish but after I opened several apps over the course of an hour or so, the sluggishness went away. For a download that took 20 minutes and was about 135MB in size, what's all the hype about? I must not have discovered the genius improvement yet.

LowRentTechGuy

Reaction score
For real? Then what's all the hype about? UI wise, it's nearly the same. I spent an hour meandering through the apps, settings, etc. and noticed subtle differences including a second tab added to the notification screen where you can now find quick settings. The app button changed to an icon that looks like a 4x4 icon grid and the Apps screen now has 4 groupings and now scrolls full pages at a time instead of a continuous flow.

At first, my phone was sluggish but after I opened several apps over the course of an hour or so, the sluggishness went away. For a download that took 20 minutes and was about 135MB in size, what's all the hype about? I must not have discovered the genius improvement yet.

If HTC and Verizon didn't knee cap the hardware and load bloat on their devices the hardware would perform a lot better and most of Gingerbreads improvements were shopper to be under the hood and finally add the ability to use the FFC in gtalk and skype. Basically the improvements are minimal performance wise unless you root and de-bloat your device of all the added carrier apps.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

MTBryan

Reaction score
For real? Then what's all the hype about? UI wise, it's nearly the same

Yep, pretty much. My phone worked well before and still does after the update. I find it amusing after 6-8 months of temper tantrums. I expected the sky's to part and an orchestra to play when GBread appeared but nooooooooo.

proangler

Reaction score
Yea I guess I can now access alarm through wiget but I don't want that huge HOA using app on my front page running just to acess alarm!!!

jared845

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 4
Anyone know when could be expecting this update ???????

SENT FROM MY GINGERBREADLESS THUNDERBOLT

nefariousity

Reaction score
Does anyone know if this update updates hboot? I want to update but I don't want to lose root. I'll probably just end up doing it though and rooting it again.

Nyobie

Reaction score
Thanks for confirming the hype was just that.

All apps I previously downloaded are still behaving so I'm happy.

No noticeable issues!

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt now running Gingerbread without much excitement