I got some Questions

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by soccer568, May 7, 2010.

1. soccer568

soccer568 New Member

Alright I just flash my sbf file with SPrecovery and have some qquestions before i go any further.My first would be if i get the update when im rooted do i update or just ignore it?Whats the clockwork mod recovery i dont hear about it much?I also want to know that if i like downloaded bugless beast does it overclock for me automatically or what?
  2. LtKen

LtKen New Member

1) Rooting alone wont block OTA updates, so you'll have to deal with them any number of ways. You can ignore them, you can apply them and hope you can re-root, or you can use SPRecovery and hope it can block them for you.

2) ClockworkMod is another recovery program, used primarily by Koush and the CyanogenMod team, but supported by most Devs now. I suspect it will be the new standard here pretty soon.

3) BB, like all other ROMs, require a custom kernel to overclock. BB handles the overclocking control by itself, so you dont need SetCPU, but you still need a kernel to allow the OC to take place.
  3. soccer568

soccer568 New Member

3.)Alright how do i get a kernel?

1.)Alright well what i meant is u know that update that just came out that every1 was saying that it blocks the flash image.I mean am i ok to go ahead and update my droid with that or no?

And if im not rooted yet i just flashed the sbf file can i still go straight to bugless beast?
  4. LtKen

LtKen New Member

Easiest thing for you would be to root, and use the premium version of ROM Manager to get BB. It will prompt you and let you chose the kernel you want.
  5. soccer568

soccer568 New Member

alright and that will be my custom kernel right?
  6. LtKen

LtKen New Member

That'll be it.
  7. soccer568

soccer568 New Member

Alright thanks and can u answer the question i had on the update that just came out?
  8. LtKen

LtKen New Member

Since you're rooting, it shouldnt matter. I'd just ignore it, since you're going to be rooting and flashing to a different ROM anyway. Worst case scenario is you use the 2.0.1 SBF and flash back to that, root, and then do the ROM Manager thing.
  9. soccer568

soccer568 New Member

Alright i just flashed my hpone and did it sucessfully. I downloaded rom manage and it says i need to flash clockworkmod recoveryto be able to flash roms.Doesent that mean i will be changing my recovery mode to clockworkmod?Arent i able to install a custom rom manually instead of using rom manager?
  10. ashkev843

ashkev843 New Member

Yes it will replace sp recovery with clockwork. Don't worry it will not affect anything in a bad way. ROM manager just makes it a lot easier to switch roms. You basically just choose what options you want and sit back and let it do do its magic. I prefer clockwork over sp recovery anyways.
  11. soccer568

soccer568 New Member

Alright and the way to get back to stock would be the same way with Clockwork?If i install bugless beast via rom manager what kernel should i use?I read that if your droid doesent support the kernel it wont boot what do i do after that to fix that and try a differet kernel?
  12. LtKen

LtKen New Member

Yes, CM allows you to flash stock ROMs. If you want to go completely stock (no more custom recovery), then you can use an SBF. There are a lot of ways to revert to stock.

Make sure you backup your current ROM first (which can be done in ROM Manager).

I'm using BB and Bekit's 1.1Ghz 7 Slot LV and it works great.

If you get stuck with an unsupported kernel (or really anytime you bork it bad enough to prevent booting), then you can boot manually into CM Recovery, by holding X when you power the phone on. You can restore to your previous state, and try again.
  13. soccer568

soccer568 New Member

Allright well whats a good ooverclock speed to startr with like 800mhz?If i chose this kernel should my phone reject it?
  14. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Moved thread to more appropriate area.
  15. LtKen

LtKen New Member

You should be fine with any of the kernels. Since you're new to all of this, 800 is a good place to start. If you're happy with the performance, then you can stop. If you want more, then go ahead and see what 1000 gets you. Wash, rinse, repeat.

You really shouldnt have any problems up to 1100, but we wont know FOR SURE until you do it. Just watch for any instability, odd force closes, and extraneous heat for extended periods of time.