I got my phone rooted. No what?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by aleio16, Dec 2, 2010.

1. aleio16

aleio16 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, just re-rooted my phone, and I'm using barnacle, cachemate, and overclock. But what else is there? I feel like I'm not using my phone to it's full potential, and it's a sad feeling. lol.

Any help amigos?

2. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    Ratings:
    +6
    Try a custom ROM. There's so much more you can do on, say, Sapphire versus stock. The possibilities in Liquid Frozen Yogurt might send chills up your spine -- or perhaps something that's Simply Stunning will blow your mind! CyanogenMod might just cure your blue-green envy... Or perhaps you're looking for a more Ultimate Droid experience. ;)

3. UltraDroid

UltraDroid DF Super Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +157
  4. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Find some cool apps that you can't use unless you're rooted. Root Explorer, Cache-Mate, Titanium Backup (paid). I'm looking for more myself.

5. aleio16

aleio16 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Cool, thanks guys. I'll check out these "custom roms" you speak of.

And hookbill, I said I was using cachemate. lol. ty anyways though.

6. djakrse

djakrse Active Member

Ratings:
    +12
    I'm with you on that one... Dual Mount SD widget is one of my favs. It allows your SD card to be mounted on phone and pc at the same time. For example, your music doesn't have to stop when you want to transfer new files to sdcard.

Obviously, the biggest change is with ROMs, especially themed ones. You're already overclocked. The fun is getting your phone to look and act how you want it to. There's always something else, boot logo, boot animation, apps2sd (get faster SD first), compcache, custom menu options, custom system font, hacked apks from other phones, etc.

jump in

7. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, there's no need for a faster SD, depending on how you set it up. I'm using a class 2 and keeping the cache files in data and the apk files on /sd-ext. Once the first long boot occurs and all the cache files are generated, the apps run mostly off /data. There's no noticable difference in speed! I can't speak for what happens if you decide to put the dalvik-cache files on the SD, too, though...

8. furbearingmammal

Ratings:
    +6
    The Droid is limited in the speed of the SD card it can handle. The one that ships is as fast as it gets.

9. djakrse

djakrse Active Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Say what? I've never heard that. (not that I've researched it at all in months, waiting for prices to come down.) Why is it common on forums (at least, pre-froyo) to see discussions about name brand class 6 SD cards being preferred for running apps from SD? I've seen it in ppl's sigs as well. It's one of the last things I desire to enhance my droid experience.

10. furbearingmammal

Ratings:
    +6
    Because people don't pay attention to the technology. It's amazing what the placebo effect can do for people. :)

Of course, I could be wrong, but a couple months ago when I was looking into things I saw a LOT of posts saying higher class cards weren't giving any boost in speed and referencing either class 2 or 4 as the top-end. The X and 2 take higher-speed cards, IIRC?

11. djakrse

djakrse Active Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Well that makes sense. Just for clarification, it's not that the D1 will not accept class 6, just that the hardware cannot take advantage of the class 6 cards, such that they perform about the same as a class 4? Real world performance, no? Interesting.

It's understandable, the hype though, given that many people here are very capable and ingenious. The real performance gains simply were not benchmarked, and it's easy to make assumptions. I'm glad I didn't shell out the $$ right away.

12. furbearingmammal

Ratings:
    +6
    Me too. And exactly that. It's like plugging a USB 2.0 device into a 1.1 port. It'll work, it just can't take advantage of the hardware's full potential.

13. aleio16

aleio16 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow. I just learned a lot. Haha, I never knew that the speed of your phone was determined by your SD card.

14. furbearingmammal

Ratings:
    +6
    It's not. :) Just the speed with which data can be transferred to and from the SD card. This means that if you have the capability, a faster SD card will transfer data to/from your PC faster (USB Mass Storage mode), and to the OS faster if you're running an app from the SD card.