I feel stupid

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by PARick, May 31, 2010.

1. PARick

PARick New Member

But, when My Moto Droid is locked, the screen has a space that says "this phone belongs to....". I can't find where to put my name. I use LauncherPro, if that makes a difference. Thanks!
  2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Did you try pressing your menu button to see if something comes up? Perhaps something related to using your launcher?

I'm stupid too, I can't really help but I'll bet it's right in front of you and you just don't see it.
  3. HarshReality

HarshReality Member

You have one of those webdata backup programs installed the thing your looking for is in its settings.

I had it.. I removed it.. and cant remember the name of it. Either way.. when you find out the application post it here so the next guy doesnt feel silly.
    Last edited: May 31, 2010
  4. jntdroid

jntdroid DF Super Moderator Premium Member

I believe Screen Suite has a lockscreen like that, and you have to get to it through the app.
  5. PARick

PARick New Member

Bingo...that was it, thanks! I had to go into my antivirus program to add myself as a contact. Thanks for all your help!
  6. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

AntiVirus? You don't need an antivirus. It's just going to slow down your Droid. Get rid of that thing, see it's causing you problems already.
  7. PARick

PARick New Member

Ok Hook... but there have been numerous suggestion to have an antivirus on these phones. Given your post count I am sure you know what you are talking about, so I guess I will remove it.
  8. BKS

BKS New Member

Hook wouldn't steer you wrong. Don't feel bad, I asked the same question when I 1st joined a few weeks ago. Every experienced member said the same thing.....ditch any antivirus apps. :)
  9. iks

iks New Member

Hook or Crook

Advice has to come with a follow up. What is the reason for removing AV software? "Doesn't do any good" won't work for me. Is the Droid immune to viruses. If so it is the only OS in the world that is.

My first response to this forum post was to look for a button that said "Report this post as inappropriate".
  10. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

There are no viruses for Android, it's Linux based.

Your only concern is malware... which has to do with the permissions an app is given. So use common sense and pay attention to what services an app is requesting permission to.

An anti-virus will do NOTHING to prevent an app's permissions, it's all on the end user.

A quick search will give you the difference between a virus and malware, as they're not the same.

An anti-virus is only going to use resources searching for something that doesn't exist... and it can't detect malware as the AV software is looking for malicious code that self replicates (virus), not checking permissions (which malware uses as it's gateway)
  11. BodyBagz

BodyBagz Active Member

Really? That was your first response? Well, we are so fortunate that you chose to wait and see if there was any other option...

Now, for that 2nd option, see the post directly below yours...or right here under this post. What Martin has posted is about as definitive an answer anyone could ask for...

Very nice answer...spot on!
  12. iks

iks New Member

That's a much better response. Thanks
  13. iks

iks New Member

BTW...my complaint was the unprofessional advice by hook.
  14. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

How so? I would have answered the same.
  15. Beka27

Beka27 New Member

Having been a forum mod for several years (not on this site), my best advice to questions is often the simplest. The nice thing about forums is you can always go back and elaborate as necessary, but if you immediately dump a pile of info in the first response, this can alienate some people.

This original poster seemed quite content with Hookbill's reply. Had you still been confused by the information given, you could have very politely asked for additional info/sources to back this up, or done a forum search yourself since this topic has been discussed at length.

(Edited out the term "newbies", it appears the OP has been around longer than I. LOL...)
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  16. hemorrdroid

hemorrdroid New Member

Nothing unprofessional about his advice, he hit the nail on the head. Did he write a book about it? No. If the OP's response warranted it, Hook would have elaborated. Inappropriate? LOL far from it. Keep that finger off the trigger!
  17. brando56894

brando56894 New Member

Listen to the guys that say you dont need AV for anything unix/linux based, theyre correct. Since you seem to want to know the exact reason why here it is: It all has to do with the permissions the user has to the file system.

In windows the standard user usually has administrator rights and hence has (almost) uninhibited access to the file system so a virus uses this to its advantage in order to infect system files which the user has access to.

In a unix/linux based OS the standard user only has access to whats in their /home/[username]/ directory (think of this as something like "My Documents" folder in windows where all of your personal stuff gets stored) so if a virus was trying to spread itself around the system it would only be able to affect stuff in that one directory (unless the user ran the malicious code with super-user permissions), hence it would be easy to remove. By default this is how android is set up, you only have read/write access to your sdcard. If android viruses did begin to pop up the only ones that would really have to worry about it are the users that root their phones and this could probably be easily avoided by having su ask for a password when requesting root permissions.

Is that a good enough explanation for you? :)

Unprofessional? What is this a business?
  18. iks

iks New Member

I need to install Anti-Moderator software.

AVG on the Android Market claims to protect against trojans, worms, malware. Should it be removed from the Market? Maybe the problem is definiton. AVG apparently equates virus with all of the above. I'll find out what I lose, if anything by uninstalling it, and will post the result here.

Sholuld there be a sticky or a banner telling customers not to install any AV software on your Droid or just some "AV" software,

My approach with forums is always to search first, but 90% of the time don't find anything enlightening and come across a lot of junk postings. There are exceptions.

In this case I was looking up how to add my name to the Lock screen, came upon the advice to ditch AV entirely, and it seemed irresponsible, especially in a thread that was not an AV discussion. I agree that posts can be simple, if you know your audience and respond appropriatelty.

So in this case it seems that "virus" means anything that replicates and attacks via the operating system/file system. It does NOT mean bad apps.
  19. iks

iks New Member

So far no real information from AVG on their methods pf protection and what they are protecing against. And forums in general report show 90% saying no viruses on linux platforms.

But in my opinion (25 years in IT), three things point to reevaluation of the message sent to forum visitors.

1. Android is exploding and WILL get targeted somehow, someway. It's a challenge after all and more computing is migrating to handhelds and away from desktops and laptops.

2. Reputable companies offering "AV" software for Android platforms WILL grow. What are they actually protecting is the queston. Can the typical customer distinguish types of attacks?

3. The majority of smartphone and tablet users on the "exploding" Android market will NOT pay attention to the permissions requested by apps being installed.

I'm stil looking for answers from those suposedly reputable companies, but would recommend a posting of the anti-virus policy for this forum up front.
Search tags for this page

how do i put a name on the front of my phone