I feel like I am missing something....

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by jbg25, Feb 12, 2010.

1. jbg25

jbg25 New Member

I am debating rooting my droid and using a ROM seeing how stable the latest generations are, and seeing that the ROM Devs seem to be providing as much or more than 2.1 will anyway.

But before I do it I have lots of questions and no idea where to get answers all in one concise place. Now that the ROMs are close to maturity, I am starting to see lots of references to Cyanogen, HumanCyborg, and a few others. I think they are a developer like sholes...but where can I find out more about them and view there work? Do they have their own sites or are there other forums I should know about.

I have also seen lots of references to programs or technical terms that I dont know what they mean...any help with definitions or a place I can find more info would be greatly appreciated.

Things I am curious about..

Companche ( i know this is something about swap memory...but what is it in n00b terms)
    Deodexing (what is this)
    FLAC support (what is this)
    dropbear (what is this)

Thanks for not killing me. :biggrin:
  2. R1Lover

R1Lover New Member

just do it..... use the sholes updater.

google is your friend for info.
  3. jbg25

jbg25 New Member

Actually, I would prefer to do it manually...I understand ADB...and am fairly certain I understand the whole process.

As for the Google comment....yes I know...I bought their phone. I was hoping for a simple easy to understand explanation...but more so...I did ask if there was a single place I could use as reference. Telling me Google is my friend does not help me there.

FYI...
    Compache the first 4 links are all technical..and while I think I get it....I am not totally sure. does it allow me to use more memory at once? or does it increase my overall memory?

For Deodexing it asked if I meant daodejing

dropbear...just because I know it is an ssh client...does not mean I know what it does or if I need to avoid it or if it could be useful and I dont even know.

FLAC...I know there is a CD audio FLAC...but what would that have to do with a phone?
  4. shademar

shademar New Member

You're not missing anything...the info really is pretty scattered.

FWIW:
    alldroid.org ;specifically pete and adamdz for roms, but also note the alldroid community rom (2.1) by reverandyo, and many other devs. adamz (http://alldroid.org/viewtopic.php?f=311&t=1556) for the original themed glass rom and pete's bugless beast (http://alldroid.org/viewtopic.php?f=309&t=1553) (My poison of choice...)

sholes.info and smupdater (market available) for the B****** Baegel rom, and updates. The most newb-friendly resource...

rootyourdroid.info has a lot of good resources as well.
  5. jbg25

jbg25 New Member

So no one can tell me where to find more info on Cyanogen and HumanCyborgs work on Droid ROMs? Or a place to find info on updates to ROMs not hosted at AllDroid...as well as programs not available on the market.

I tried xda-developers but it seems to me they have a problem with Motorola over there...as I do not see a section for Motorola in general or the Droid in specific. But I do see the Eris there...so it is not Verizon.

Anyone know why they dont have a section there? and know if there is another site somewhere where this stuff is collected?
  6. jbg25

jbg25 New Member

bump...anyone?
  7. RW-1

RW-1 New Member

"Actually, I would prefer to do it manually...I understand ADB...and am fairly certain I understand the whole process."

Kudos for that, do your reading, soak it up, then give it a shot. A whole lot better than relying on an updater that you may not understand what it is doing - so if an issue occurs you may or may not get yourself out of trouble.

Caveat: I haven't yet decided to root mine, I have only one :)

I may yet do it and OC, heck I OC everything else, lappy's, desktops, etc.
  8. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

+1 kudos for someone actually wanting to take the time to learn what they are doing (no matter what ROM or kernel they plan on using) so when they run into problems it doesn't turn into a pointless three page thread on how Sholesmod Updater screwed up their phone.
  9. CatsTide

CatsTide New Member

there you go bashing us rookies again:icon_ devil:
  10. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

If people would just take like 1 day to just educate themselves on what they are doing....and learn about the SDK, ADB, the Terminal Emulators, ROMs, rooting, etc.

We would not see all these "OMG!!! What Did I Do???" threads...I mean I'm not saying to become an expert on anything by no means, but just acquire a basic understanding of these things and what they do

It will benefit you SO much in the long run...
  11. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Hey the extra work in the short end saves time in the long end of things. I wasn't bashing anyone, just stating a fact.

How many of the OMGMYPHONE threads have we seen since SM Updater came out that turned out it was 100% user error based on absolutely no knowledge of rooting prior to downloading the SMU from the market?

I read every single thread on this forum every day and I can tell you - a ton. And except for maybe 4 or 5 instances, in every case it turns out to be user error from using SMU and not knowing a damn thing about root.

For example, if you do the process manually (or research before hand) you know full well that SMU makes a backup for you. Yet there have been several people "OMGMYPHONEIDONTLIKESHOLES" that had no idea that they could simply restore their phone using the backup and delete the updater. That's just one example.

I know people get sick of me beating a dead horse, but I am adamant in my belief that it is possible to oversimply an otherwise more advanced task that results in more problems.
  12. srt4mn

srt4mn New Member

xdadevelopers is a site for HTC phones, not motorola.

Cyanogen is not making roms for the Droid, he is for the Nexus One though. I thought HumanCyborg used to have a developer forum on alldroid, but I didn't see any when I checked it.
  13. shademar

shademar New Member

cyanogen does work for the N1 specifically, and posts over at the xda-developers forums. I'm not sure about humancyborg. People (posting in the main dev thread at alldroid) have worked on porting over cyanogen's 2.1 rom to the droid, but I'm not sure of it's relative merits as I'm happy with the 2.01 roms. The name is well-known from development on previous android phones (droid is my first so I don't know the history.)
  14. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

Yeah thats how I am.....new to Android in November and don't know the historry that well

But from what I've gathered it seems Cyanogen is like a god to Android development..lol....I guess he did a lot of break-thru's with the G1 back in the day...

And now he is pulling off the same kinda stuff with the N1....so it is pretty exciting...seeing as how his developments can be ported over or mimicked on our Droids...
  15. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

16. 52brandon

52brandon New Member

companche and dropbear I dont know.

deodex - the system files on your phone typically come in .odex , deodexing them makes them replaceable (my understanding at least) like to replace your services file for a different color clock etc...

FLAC support - FLAC is a very high quality audio file that the droid does not support, but some of these geniuses figured out how to make it work, usually only one bitrate from what I've read
  17. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

and for the bump today too: I'd guess the answer there is no. We aren't ignoring we just don't know. Google might help.

+1's for the additional comments on doing research. +2 to the OP for reading up on all this and knowing what he stands to gain from rooting vs just rooting and then asking "I've rooted what should I do next". Those posts always leave me wondering why someone would do something to their expensive device without knowing what it would do to it or how they might benefit from it.
  18. 52brandon

52brandon New Member

cyanogen does not work on the droid, never has. But some of his work on the N1 has been ported over to the droid by other devs
  19. gentlefury

gentlefury New Member

anyone know how to enable flac support on droid?? I would really like to know.
  20. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Aftermarket ROMs do this.