I DUN GOOFED- Semi Bricked my Droid X

maderschramm

Reaction score
Hahaha. Oh rsd_lite...so inconsistent. I prefer a program that works every time. That's how rsd is though, play around until it works ;)

jshaas2

Reaction score
let me ask you this..what caused this. I was rooted, basically to uninstall some of the VZW bloat, stop running services, etc.

my phone wouldn't update the OTA or the update.zip file. I guess because i was rooted.

so i hardresetted. my removing some of the bloatware, did that cause me to semi-brick this? you can hard reset and be rooted i thought?

Hahaha. Oh rsd_lite...so inconsistent. I prefer a program that works every time. That's how rsd is though, play around until it works ;)

maderschramm

Reaction score
Well, you couldn't ota because you removed the bloat. By hard reset do you mean booted into recovery and did a factory reset? And what's a "semi brick"?

jshaas2

Reaction score
I did remove the bloat. Factory reset two way. one by settings/factory reset, did the other "hard reset" by holding home and power button.

i called it semi brick because it ould load the phone os, take me to "pick your language", etc. screen, but once it timeout and went to the "slide to unlock screen" once you unlocked it was blank, black, zero. you push a button..nothing.

Well, you couldn't ota because you removed the bloat. By hard reset do you mean booted into recovery and did a factory reset? And what's a "semi brick"?

maderschramm

Reaction score
The reason you can't update with the ota or update is because you removed bloatware. Perhaps a botched/incomplete install is why its semi-bricked. In the future, after you sbf or update and root, make a nandroid backup. Then you can return to that point any time you want. See my sig for a tutorial on that.