1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

I DUN GOOFED- Semi Bricked my Droid X

Discussion in 'Droid X Tech Support' started by TardisX, Sep 20, 2010.

1. TardisX

TardisX New Member

I made a stupid error and Bricked my phone. I rooted my Droid X using easy root that worked fine for days. I even used Rom Mannager to remove some bloatware applications ( city ID, Amazon, blockbuster, backup assistant! I know now I wasnt supose to do that)

Anyway I was having the "Smart Sensor" ringing error so I did a hard reset WITHOUT UNROOTING MY PHONE !!!!

When I resarted I noticed that I cant download any .apk files from the market or from my sd card( when I try it says Unable to open this type of file)

Please Help I know its a stupid question but I really:blink::blink::blink::blink: love this phone and want its full capabilities back!

( I run Ubuntu 10.4 fyi but have a PC I can access if needed)
  2. Sydman

Sydman Premium Member Premium Member

Is there nothing else that you did, just doing a factory reset shouldn't have done anything. You won't even lose root if you do that. And by hard reset you do mean you booted into recovery and did the wipe data and cache?
  3. TardisX

TardisX New Member

What I did

before I " booted into recovery and did the wipe data and cache" I removed the backup assistant application which is where I think I messed up from doing research. but other than that thats all I did
  4. TardisX

TardisX New Member

RSD Lite

So I ran rsd lite fixed all my problems!
  5. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Another happy ending! dancedroiddancedroiddancedroid
  6. Sydman

Sydman Premium Member Premium Member

Cool glad it is working, yeah removing back up assistant def not a good idea for future info.
  7. jshaas2

jshaas2 New Member

Guys, VIP long time user over at PPCGeeks...been on the DX for about a month.

I might have goofed my phone like the OP mentioned. Saw the 2.2.1 update today. Tried to update, and it wouldn't update. Figured it was because I was rooted and even tried to manually root using update.zip file. I have been a rooted user from the beginning.

Figured since I have never Hard Reset, I'd hard reset, get it back to factory default, upgrade to 2.2.1, and then start the process all over now that I know what i wanted.

I factory reset, it goes through it's steps (choose language, google account, etc), but the home screen, programs, or anything never launches. At the timeout screen, when you power it back on, it is just black.

I was under the impression you could hard reset while rooted, but I may have done something wrong. If this was WM i could fix and offer fixes, but i'm a new user on Android.

PLZ..heavy business user here..any help is greatly appreciated!!!
  8. maderschramm

maderschramm New Member

Fastest, easiest, and most reliable fix is an sbf flash (op did this). See my sig for a tut
  9. jshaas2

jshaas2 New Member

thanks. i'm at your post now downloading this info. i really don't know what I did wrong, but i will try to follow instructions. Will you be online for a few minutes just in case i have any questions?

really appreciate this!!!

10. maderschramm

maderschramm New Member

Im always online with my dx :laugh:
    Let me know how it goes!
  11. jshaas2

jshaas2 New Member

I just can't get RSDLite to recognize my phone. I've downloaded the drivers several times. it appears since i'm in bootloader already, that the PC will not load the driver.

we run a win7 64bit network, but I'm on an older XP machine.

i've restarted, done everything i should do.

since my DX is already in bootloader, do you think that is causing it not to recognize my device?

12. maderschramm

maderschramm New Member

Did you follow all troubleshooting steps that I recommended? Like changing the device id etc.? It shouldn't have a problem if you're already inthe bootloader
  13. jshaas2

jshaas2 New Member

yeah...in device manager it's just not recognizing the drivers. the OMAP3630 device has the normal windows exclamation point showing it has no software for that driver.

14. maderschramm

maderschramm New Member

You'll need to install the drivers manually. By uninstalling, rebooting, replugging in, aborting the auto install process, install manually, select from disk, the moto drivers you downloaded. Its a huge pain. To be honest, I've never used rsdlite. I always use sbf_flash. Id install linux or boot from a live cd if I was you...
  15. jshaas2

jshaas2 New Member

don't ask me why or how..it just recognized it....it's in the process of flashing now. crossing my fingers...i'll let you know bro.

thanks again

16. maderschramm

maderschramm New Member

Hahaha. Oh rsd_lite...so inconsistent. I prefer a program that works every time. That's how rsd is though, play around until it works ;)
  17. jshaas2

jshaas2 New Member

let me ask you this..what caused this. I was rooted, basically to uninstall some of the VZW bloat, stop running services, etc.

my phone wouldn't update the OTA or the update.zip file. I guess because i was rooted.

so i hardresetted. my removing some of the bloatware, did that cause me to semi-brick this? you can hard reset and be rooted i thought?

18. maderschramm

maderschramm New Member

Well, you couldn't ota because you removed the bloat. By hard reset do you mean booted into recovery and did a factory reset? And what's a "semi brick"?
  19. jshaas2

jshaas2 New Member

I did remove the bloat. Factory reset two way. one by settings/factory reset, did the other "hard reset" by holding home and power button.

i called it semi brick because it ould load the phone os, take me to "pick your language", etc. screen, but once it timeout and went to the "slide to unlock screen" once you unlocked it was blank, black, zero. you push a button..nothing.

20. maderschramm

maderschramm New Member

The reason you can't update with the ota or update is because you removed bloatware. Perhaps a botched/incomplete install is why its semi-bricked. In the future, after you sbf or update and root, make a nandroid backup. Then you can return to that point any time you want. See my sig for a tutorial on that.
Search tags for this page

android razr always says unable to open my files

semi bricked s2 windows do not recognize device solution

semi droid