I DUN GOOFED- Semi Bricked my Droid X

TardisX

Reaction score
I made a stupid error and Bricked my phone. I rooted my Droid X using easy root that worked fine for days. I even used Rom Mannager to remove some bloatware applications ( city ID, Amazon, blockbuster, backup assistant! I know now I wasnt supose to do that)

Anyway I was having the "Smart Sensor" ringing error so I did a hard reset WITHOUT UNROOTING MY PHONE !!!!

When I resarted I noticed that I cant download any .apk files from the market or from my sd card( when I try it says Unable to open this type of file)

Please Help I know its a stupid question but I really:blink::blink::blink::blink: love this phone and want its full capabilities back!

( I run Ubuntu 10.4 fyi but have a PC I can access if needed)

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Is there nothing else that you did, just doing a factory reset shouldn't have done anything. You won't even lose root if you do that. And by hard reset you do mean you booted into recovery and did the wipe data and cache?

OP
T

TardisX

Reaction score
What I did

before I " booted into recovery and did the wipe data and cache" I removed the backup assistant application which is where I think I messed up from doing research. but other than that thats all I did

OP
T

TardisX

Reaction score
RSD Lite

So I ran rsd lite fixed all my problems!

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Cool glad it is working, yeah removing back up assistant def not a good idea for future info.

jshaas2

Reaction score
Guys, VIP long time user over at PPCGeeks...been on the DX for about a month.

I might have goofed my phone like the OP mentioned. Saw the 2.2.1 update today. Tried to update, and it wouldn't update. Figured it was because I was rooted and even tried to manually root using update.zip file. I have been a rooted user from the beginning.

Figured since I have never Hard Reset, I'd hard reset, get it back to factory default, upgrade to 2.2.1, and then start the process all over now that I know what i wanted.

I factory reset, it goes through it's steps (choose language, google account, etc), but the home screen, programs, or anything never launches. At the timeout screen, when you power it back on, it is just black.

I was under the impression you could hard reset while rooted, but I may have done something wrong. If this was WM i could fix and offer fixes, but i'm a new user on Android.

PLZ..heavy business user here..any help is greatly appreciated!!!

jshaas2

Reaction score
thanks. i'm at your post now downloading this info. i really don't know what I did wrong, but i will try to follow instructions. Will you be online for a few minutes just in case i have any questions?

really appreciate this!!!

Fastest, easiest, and most reliable fix is an sbf flash (op did this). See my sig for a tut

jshaas2

Reaction score
I just can't get RSDLite to recognize my phone. I've downloaded the drivers several times. it appears since i'm in bootloader already, that the PC will not load the driver.

we run a win7 64bit network, but I'm on an older XP machine.

i've restarted, done everything i should do.

since my DX is already in bootloader, do you think that is causing it not to recognize my device?

Im always online with my dx :laugh:
Let me know how it goes!

maderschramm

Reaction score
Did you follow all troubleshooting steps that I recommended? Like changing the device id etc.? It shouldn't have a problem if you're already inthe bootloader

jshaas2

Reaction score
yeah...in device manager it's just not recognizing the drivers. the OMAP3630 device has the normal windows exclamation point showing it has no software for that driver.

Did you follow all troubleshooting steps that I recommended? Like changing the device id etc.? It shouldn't have a problem if you're already inthe bootloader

maderschramm

Reaction score
You'll need to install the drivers manually. By uninstalling, rebooting, replugging in, aborting the auto install process, install manually, select from disk, the moto drivers you downloaded. Its a huge pain. To be honest, I've never used rsdlite. I always use sbf_flash. Id install linux or boot from a live cd if I was you...

jshaas2

Reaction score
don't ask me why or how..it just recognized it....it's in the process of flashing now. crossing my fingers...i'll let you know bro.

thanks again

You'll need to install the drivers manually. By uninstalling, rebooting, replugging in, aborting the auto install process, install manually, select from disk, the moto drivers you downloaded. Its a huge pain. To be honest, I've never used rsdlite. I always use sbf_flash. Id install linux or boot from a live cd if I was you...