I don't want the update. Can I stop the daily reminder to update?

genebopp

Reaction score
I don't see a reason to update. It sounds to me like ICS is prettier, may have app compatibility issues, and may screw up tethering abilities. I was thinking of freezing Updater 2.3.6 to stop the daily reminders to update. Has anyone tried that, so something else to stop that daily pop up screen?

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
It is definitely a possibility - I know that is has worked in the past on other devices...you can always try & then restore if issues arise.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
That should work.

OP
G

genebopp

Reaction score
Thanks, I just didnt want to reinvent the wheel if I didnt have to.

bladewriter

Reaction score
I don't see a reason to update. It sounds to me like ICS is prettier, may have app compatibility issues, and may screw up tethering abilities. I was thinking of freezing Updater 2.3.6 to stop the daily reminders to update. Has anyone tried that, so something else to stop that daily pop up screen?

That's what I've done on my rooted Razr Maxx - used Titanium Backup to freeze (do not delete) Updater 2.3.6 and have gotten no messages. A few weeks ago when I hit "system updates" it said my phone is up to date, now it just closes back to "about phone". So ICS is waiting there for me when I want it. I'm happy for the moment to be on GB 2.3.6 and not posting messages about how ICS has broken everything. Looks like the Ice Cream isn't quite ready for prime time.

OP
G

genebopp

Reaction score
Thank you very much Blade. That is EXACTLY what I have and was going to do to mine. It is nice to know my plan has worked for someone else, rather than find out later that it was a giant failure and everyone else already knew. Thanks again.

tindogify

Reaction score
I think you gonna have to learn to adapt so take the download

tindogify

Reaction score
I have no problems with ice cream sandwich, everything went down smooth for me every experiment is different just cross your fingers and hope that everything is okay for you

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
I agree, ICS installed easily and works great. Battery seems the same.
I used my phone all day yesterday, 14 hours with the display on for 7 hours down to 15%.

63394eae-6934-8e13.jpg

63394eae-6948-3463.jpg

Sent by my new Droid Razr Maxx

Yngwie77

Reaction score
It sound like its hit or miss...my experience is a,miss....i did a fdr to see if it helped and it did a little so maybe after a few charges and a day to settle in it'll be more stable but the first couple days it was terrible for my Razr.....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

jtc303

Reaction score
No issues here... enjoying ics... also my 4g hasnt dropped yet. Used to a lot on gb... maybe it was smart actions... now i just let jd handle the screen on/off connectivity

Phreaker47

Reaction score
I would bet that MANY of the reported ICS problems are due to updating without a clean factory reset first. It is almost certain in the case of people reporting problems with their home button, for example.

And as for compatibility, I have yet to see any issues. Remember that ICS is already a fairly mature version, being out more than 6 months. I think it's very well worth the upgrade. I've seen notable performance improvements.

Someone mentioned tethering... don't worry, there are two great options. The aSQLLITE hack works great, and additionally, FoxFi still works if you don't want to mess with root.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I agree, ICS installed easily and works great. Battery seems the same.
I used my phone all day yesterday, 14 hours with the display on for 7 hours down to 15%.

Sent by my new Droid Razr Maxx

+1 :rating10:

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yes, freezing the updater will work, but ICS is nothing to be skeered of, I have had zero issues, I'm rooted and tethered, and I'm getting well over 24 hours on a single battery charge. :)