1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

I don't want built-from-source

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by deputc26, Aug 27, 2010.

1. deputc26

deputc26 New Member

Back in the day when Pete innocuously posted a ROM he'd built for himself and called "Bugless Beauty" as more of a description than the brand that it has become, there was a rush to try it out purely because it was "bugless" and that's what the amateur android hackers such as myself and many others wanted. I've tried lots of ROMs from source and they all seem to have weird issues that not built from source ROMs don't have. I think the way bugless has always had fewer features but better and more stable features says a lot about what people want. I don't want a built from sopurce ROM. I want a bugless beauty.

Yay for BB :icon_ banana:
  2. subyfan

subyfan New Member

My feelings exactly...:rockon:
  3. C3-PO

C3-PO Member

word .....
  4. Invader DJ

Invader DJ New Member

I don't know, I love me some Sapphire, it is right up there with Bugless Beast in terms of general stability.
  5. skatingrocker17

skatingrocker17 New Member

Too bad there's no more Bugless Beauty, hopefully there's still more Bugless Beast to come. It seems like .4 became outdated so quick, hard to believe it's almost been 2 months. I'm hoping Pete isn't becoming another Adamz but I don't think he is because he still posts about .5 on twitter. v.4 is still great but I like to try the newest things so I switched from it after having it for about 2 weeks.
  6. bendystrawboy

bendystrawboy New Member

ultimate droid solved all the issues i was having with bb..i think its from source?
  7. triplecrown

triplecrown New Member

Yea its "from source" alright.
  8. *22899

*22899 Premium Member Premium Member

SD7 check it out.
  9. jbrock98

jbrock98 New Member

yes UD is built from source, and the only rom thats even stood up to challenge ultimate droid has been sapphire or chevy's(on my phone anyhow) but then when u add in all the features with UD it blows competition outta the water, i flash pretty much everything and i've gotten to where i've settled with chevy & UD as my top 2 roms (which means i'll run them more than a day) but my theory is if Ultimate Droid runs great on ur phone then its really hard to choose anything over it b/c its blazing fast w/ all of those features, but my addiction to flashing everything under the sun needs a lil BB to curb the cravings lol Pete puts out a good rom and i'll flash anything once...2,3,4 times if i like dancedroid
  10. alitke

alitke New Member

many will not run UD simply b/c of what he said before being removed from this site.
  11. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

Agree. I imagine in developer circles not building from source is frowned upon, like needing training wheels to ride a bike. But if it isn't practically flawless it's worthless.

I really only care about the increased speed and battery life. A lot of the bells and whistles just seem worthless to me, and I now spend as much time deleting garbage (I use Sweeterhome, so every rom I flash I delete ADW or LauncherPro), live wallpapers, titanium, etc...

ALL I want is for a rom that lets me overclock, is good on battery life, and doesn't give me re-draws! A lot of the other stuff I can do myself, if I choose, like loading a theme or I can install wireless tether myself. But I need system ram for my ginormous Sweeterhome theme and I don't care for bloated roms!!!!
  12. deputc26

deputc26 New Member

This pretty much sums it up. The first few months after I first started learning adb and playing with the SDK I was in a hospital bed and had lots of time to try stuff out, but now I'm back to work and don't have time to optimize stuff myself so really I'm looking for "practically flawless" ...and good bat life.
  13. gloster

gloster New Member

I also have mixed feelings about running UD. But I also ran just about every other ROM and ended up sticking with UD for now. Nothing else was as fast in day to day use and there are no bugs I run into.
  14. alitke

alitke New Member

I am actually not a fan of UD at all but I decided to throw his ROM on my phone to try it and actually have been using it for about 2 weeks now and loving it. Hard to say considering everything that he did but man I really enjoy it none the less.

not building from source really does not matter. He is dev'ing and that is what matters. with how many users he has I would say if its frowned upon someone is being a jerk as his roms generally have better battery life than anyone else and are usually pretty great.
  15. jasonppp

jasonppp Premium Member Premium Member Developer

R.I.P Bugless beauty lets just hope the BEAST gets a longer lifespan.

Bugless Beast .4 really the name says more then i can promote. 2 months old and still runs smooth, quick and responsive also got me a quadrant of 1723 only real flaw besides bein outdated is the ota update but pete did supply a patch which i refer to as a bandaid

Although chevys SS4.7 built from source rom is very nice love the whole notification settings. only one drawback i dont like having to manually restore my apps

liquid frozen yogart 1.5 is a slick rom also although being built from source and seeing a cpl other roms built from source i am slightly dissapointed i feel there should be more atleast a simplified app for script management

lithiummod 1.0.12 what can we say as far as customization jrummy is the king many options for various different appeals

sapphire 1.0 another slick rom very smooth and quick
  16. Car

Car New Member

I ran bb 0.4 for about 2x months and was fairly happy. I got a little impatient and waiting for bb 0.5 and decided to try something new. I settled on lithium 1.0.12 and must say my phone has run smoother and cooler than bb! Jrummy and the crew who worked to put lithium together did a very good job.

I have read the interview with Pete and while he is good at removing some un-needed code to "speed" things up, I'm not sure he is capable at this time to build an entire rom completely from aosp. What I'm saying is, if jrummy and the crew that built lithium cannot build future roms from source w/o incorporating code from cyanogen, how will Pete do it? Not at all doubting Pete's abilities, but jrummys crew has probably close to 10 years experience amongst the group and a majority vote concluded that future releases would be built with with partial CM code as it will take far too long to build completely from the ground up with near perfection. I don't know about you, but I don't want to run betas for the next year while all the bugs get worked out...
  17. SANhacker

SANhacker New Member

Then again, many will, including myself. dancedroid
  18. mojo_droid

mojo_droid Premium Member Premium Member Developer

what did he say?
  19. jasonppp

jasonppp Premium Member Premium Member Developer

why do we need to rekindle the past? i mean seriously there is a reason he got tossed and that is all that matters. further more what does what he said have to do with this topic???
  20. lee__D

lee__D New Member

bkkapps/rstapps automatically restores everything