I don't understand the Thunderbolt's hype

A.Brooks

Reaction score
I'm sitting here on the cusp of getting my insurance payment from my D1 breaking and I'll have every phone at my disposal Thanks State Farm for being Ten Million % > Asurion.

So I'm all excited about the Thunderbolt and as I look into it, it's still got the limited 800 pixel screen, it's only going to have a 1400 mAh battery, and the bluetooth will not support me using my headset to access my phonebook, or really anything that bluetooth is capable of. Couple all of those things with the horrible location of the charge port (which is placed properly on the Sprint version) It pretty much made my decision for me that this phone just is the bastard child of the middle ground of someone making some money before putting out any real new technology.

I just got off the phone trying to pry out any more info on the Thunderbolt that I can, I did find 1 thing really encouraging about it, that it will apparently have simultaneous data+talk. I didn't think that was possible on the 3G network setup, but the rep I talked to told me for sure that this was going to be backwards compatible and not only for use in 4G areas.

Guess I'll just have to wait for more info on the Bionic, but right now the dual core processor, the 3d graphics accelerator, the 1930mAh battery, the 960 pixel screen, and having the ability to playback H.263 and H.264 video, on top of being able to use bluetooth to access phonebook, and data transfer et all has me thinking Bionic is worth the wait.

cpjr

Reaction score
Well, the biggest thing IMO is that it will be the first 4G Verizon phone.

Otherwise, I think the public is making it such a huge deal for not as much reason. There really isnt anything sooooo special about the phone itself, but all the hype people are making about its release date is completely blowing things out of the water. Wasted energy IMO. It will be a much nicer phone that the EVO, but really its no milestone by any means.

OP
A

A.Brooks

Reaction score
Well, the biggest thing IMO is that it will be the first 4G Verizon phone.

Otherwise, I think the public is making it such a huge deal for not as much reason. There really isnt anything sooooo special about the phone itself, but all the hype people are making about its release date is completely blowing things out of the water. Wasted energy IMO. It will be a much nicer phone that the EVO, but really its no milestone by any means.

I think the Evo is a great phone, honestly it saved Sprint in the smartphone world. Guy I work with has it and it just dominates the iPhones running around here.

I was wondering too, what's the deal with the RAM, it's up to 768, vs the Bionic only having 512 to split between 2 cores, could that be a massive bottleneck that crushes the Bionic?

sal33n

Reaction score
In my opinion it's all the hype because it's the best android phone for now that is being release anytime now by Verizon. If the Bionic or any of the other dual core phones were being released within the next few weeks then everyone would be all over them and discussing them.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
In my opinion it's all the hype because it's the best android phone for now that is being release anytime now by Verizon. If the Bionic or any of the other dual core phones were being released within the next few weeks then everyone would be all over them and discussing them.

That, and it's been August with the DX since people got excited about a new android phone on VZW. People have been chomping at the bit going all the way back to Oct/Nov with HD Inc rumors.

TRIKOTRET

Reaction score
Its normal to get excited when a new phone comes to town. Look what happens when a new rom comes out. All us flash addicts get excited even if its a small update. I think its human nature to get over excited lol

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Thevaristy

Reaction score
For me, there are several reasons why I want the Thunderbolt. This phone basically is a Evo 2. Very similar with bumped specs. Processor, Ram, internal memory, screen technology (I dont mean resolution, I just mean slcd vd lcd), real 4g, and updated version of sense among other things. Yes dual core would be nice, but it wont be taken advantage of by Android until Ice Cream comes out. We havent even seen the real Gingerbread build yet, who knows when this will be. Once it does come out, you will have to wait on Motorola to update the phone. Anyone who has a Moto Droid can tell you how awful that process can be. The biggest reason I want the Thunderbolt goes hand in hand with that last statement. There will be TONS of development for this phone. HTC phones always have great developers creating amazing roms. Heck even the pos Eris has a Gingerbread build! I realize modding your phone isnt for everyone, but for me it has been alot of fun! A buddy of mine has an Evo with the Seidio 3500mah battery. Trust me when I tell you it isnt nearly as big as it looks online. In fact, it makes the phone easier to hold.

As far as the Bionic's 512 Ram....It uses DDR2 Ram....the same type used in desktop computers. Ram should not be an issue for that device.

banderbe

Reaction score
The BIONIC will be running Motoblur.

That's enough for me to say no thanks.

Unless it ships with the unlockable bootloader like the XOOM.. then I'll take another look.

iNfAMOUS702

Reaction score
Im more than happy with my DX running DarkSlide 4.2 ..if I wanted an EVO I woulda got one instead of my DX...that being said I say no thanks to the TB..its gonna be an outdated phone in a few months guaranteed plus being a former DINC owner I know just how terrible tha battery life is on HTC fones..locked bootloader or not...i just prefer motorola

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App