I don't think my Moto Z is auto switching to LTE when not in wifi range.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I wanted to report back on a development. I might not have been correct when I described the fix. I walked further away from the apt. I went to my grocery store. I tried to send a txt & it wouldn't just like before when I had the "can't get on the internet" problem. I thought, come on this can'r be I fixed this problem already. When I looked at the status bar it showed a wifi icon with the ! sign next to it. When I thought a fixed it earlier I walked until there was no sign. I pulled down the status alerts & I saw 2 of them asking if I want to connect to "CableWifi". I when to "wifi" in setting & it said "CableWifi: connected, No service". I then when to the alerts & I clicked on it & selected "forget". I did that to both alerts & presto the wifi icon & the ! were gone & my droid got on the net via 4LTE. So my conclusion is:
-If the phone does not see any available (possibly unsecured) wifi options it will auto select Cell service for internet.
-If the phone does see a wifi network it will try or automatically connect to it 1st. That is why I had the wifi icon but not access. I didn't choose to connect to it.
It was connected to that network. That's why it didn't switch to LTE. But that network wasn't providing internet access, so you couldn't use data.

Weird that you couldn't send a text. A regular text doesn't require mobile data/LTE to go through. MMS, (long messages &/or pics/videos/etc) do require mobile data, but should still use mobile data when connected to WiFi as long as mobile data is turned on.

Personally, I'm in the habit of turning wifi off when I leave home. You might want to double check your settings though.

Do you have the option to automatically connect to open wifi networks? On my Pixel, I go to my WiFi settings & then tap the gear icon to find that setting. If it's on, that could be causing your issue. It's not a bad thing to use if you have it (when it works), because it uses a Google created VPN to secure your data, but if it's automatically connecting to an open network that requires you to sign in, agree to terms, etc before allowing you to browse, that does you no good if you don't get a notification to sign in.

Sent from my Pixel XL

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you have Comcast it could be trying to connect to an Xfinity hotspot. Check your MyVerizon app settings or see if there's any Verizon bloatware apps designed for finding hotspots. I have AT&T and an AT&T bloatware app designed to find AT&T hotspots was my culprit. Yours could be Dish causing it because they have Dish internet agreements in certain areas of the country. If you've got internet calling enabled (even on auto) it can wonky with a crappy Wi-Fi signal and not let texts or calls happen along with no internet. I found this out in a dead spot inside a store. No cell signal, and I hadn't signed into their Wi-Fi so it was like having no Wi-Fi either.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

Last edited: