I don't think my Moto Z is auto switching to LTE when not in wifi range.

King Bengals

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force -32G.
When I'm in my apt I'm always on wifi. I've noticed the last couple times when I walked to the park & was not in wifi range I get a bubble notice "disconnected from wifi network". When I pull up a browser I can not get online. I get taken to a screen that says "choose your wifi provider" & there is a list of companies like TWC, Dish, Direct TV, COX etc.. Its seems like the phone is not automatically switching from wifi to the 4G LTE network when I'm out of the house. I had to manually turn off wifi to get on the LTE network. What I'm I doing wrong, do I have some setting not right?
Thanks!

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Good morning. I'm not aware of any setting that should cause this, but it is possible. The phone should auto switch from wifi to LATE as soon as you leave wifi range.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Have to agree with Sajo on this one. When you're not connected to wifi, LTE should kick in, even if you still have wifi turned on.

It's odd to me that it's asking you to select your ISP as well.

When was the last time you rebooted the phone?

Has this been a problem since you got it, or just recently?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
When I'm in my apt I'm always on wifi. I've noticed the last couple times when I walked to the park & was not in wifi range I get a bubble notice "disconnected from wifi network". When I pull up a browser I can not get online. I get taken to a screen that says "choose your wifi provider" & there is a list of companies like TWC, Dish, Direct TV, COX etc.. Its seems like the phone is not automatically switching from wifi to the 4G LTE network when I'm out of the house. I had to manually turn off wifi to get on the LTE network. What I'm I doing wrong, do I have some setting not right?
Thanks!

I don't use WiFi often but connected to my home WiFi this morning before I took my daughter to school. Shortly after leaving the house, I noticed the WiFi icon disappear and the 4G / LTE icon turn white again as the phone auto-switched to LTE. When I dropped her off I unlocked my phone and opened a few apps and nothing popped up asking me anything about WiFi networks. Like Jonny mentioned, it is strange that the message is listing specific Internet & TV providers. It almost sounds like an app is installed that is triggering this popup and preventing the auto-switch to LTE.

Which browser are you using? The stock Chrome browser?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Does the popup look like this? Found this on another forum from a few years ago with no real solution, other than posts suggesting an app, or malware, was causing it.

Use_WiFi.png

OP
King Bengals

King Bengals

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force -32G.
Wow Sajo that is exactly the screen I get!! My LTE indicator is on & my wifi indication has an exclamation mark next to it. I get that exact screen shot when I open any browser & try to go to a website.. I tried on Chrome (my default) & Dolphin & get the same error message. I have to manually turn off wifi then it goes to LTE & I can get online. So you think it could be a virus or bug? I hope not, I had an iphone since 2009 & never got a bug. I've had this Moto Z for month & 1/2 & hope I didn't catch something already. I have Avast app on my phone & its run scans before & not found anything. What should I do next?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I think it's less likely to be a bug and more likely to be some sort of app that's trying to help you, but getting in your way.

Have you installed any apps that deal with wifi or connections in any way?

OP
King Bengals

King Bengals

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force -32G.
I uninstalled Avast since it was one of the 1st apps I got & one of the only apps I didn't have on my old iphone. All my other apps are pretty much the same as the one's I had on my iphone. I got all the apps from the Play Store. I don't have any apps that deal with WifiI specifically like a "wifi finder" or "wifi booster". I've been having this issue pretty much the day I got the phone. It took me awhile to notice the problem because I'm rarely not in a Wifi area. I've turned the phone off & on a couple time & still have the issue.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
You could try this, the next time you plan on leaving a WiFi connection. Put your phone in Safe Mode. Tap power like you are turning it off, but then long tap the Power Off message on the screen and select Safe Mode. The phone will reboot into Safe Mode and only the apps that came preinstalled will run. Don't manually open any apps. Make sure you are connected to Wifi and then leave as normal. When you lose the wifi connection, try to open a new browser page and see what happens. If you still get the same pop up message, a Play Store app may not be the problem and maybe a browser setting or something else. If you do not receive the pop up message then a Play Store app is probably causing the message. To exit Safe Mode just power off and then power back on again. Safe Mode will not wipe out any user data, but some Play Store apps that require a password may ask you to log in again since they didn't run while in Safe Mode.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
You could try this, the next time you plan on leaving a WiFi connection. Put your phone in Safe Mode. Tap power like you are turning it off, but then long tap the Power Off message on the screen and select Safe Mode. The phone will reboot into Safe Mode and only the apps that came preinstalled will run. Don't manually open any apps. Make sure you are connected to Wifi and then leave as normal. When you lose the wifi connection, try to open a new browser page and see what happens. If you still get the same pop up message, a Play Store app may not be the problem and maybe a browser setting or something else. If you do not receive the pop up message then a Play Store app is probably causing the message. To exit Safe Mode just power off and then power back on again. Safe Mode will not wipe out any user data, but some Play Store apps that require a password may ask you to log in again since they didn't run while in Safe Mode.

Agreed. This is the next step I'd try.

Sent from my Pixel XL

OP
King Bengals

King Bengals

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force -32G.
Wow that is an interesting idea to try Sajo. I will try it as soon as I have a chance to get outside of my wifi range. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks!

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Wow that is an interesting idea to try Sajo. I will try it as soon as I have a chance to get outside of my wifi range. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks!
Safe Mode is a good troubleshooting tool any time you think a Play Store app is causing unexpected results, since most Play Store apps don't auto-run when in Safe Mode.

OP
King Bengals

King Bengals

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force -32G.
Great news!! Soja you have done it again!!! It seems to be fixed. I think it musta been the Avast app. That was the only app I uninstalled. I put the phone in safe mode in my apt & walked down the street until I lost the wifi signal icon. I could get on a few sites I tested from chrome browser. Then I did a speed test & got 18DL & 6UL from my 4LTE. I rebooted into normal mode in my apt & got back online. I got 23DL & 7UL. I walked out again to the same spot that I lost the wifi signal before. The signal was gone again so I tested it just like before & it worked. The phone went to 4LTE & I got the 18DL & 6UL speeds again. So I think I'm all set now. Thank you everyone!!

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Good deal!

OP
King Bengals

King Bengals

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force -32G.
I wanted to report back on a development. I might not have been correct when I described the fix. I walked further away from the apt. I went to my grocery store. I tried to send a txt & it wouldn't just like before when I had the "can't get on the internet" problem. I thought, come on this can'r be I fixed this problem already. When I looked at the status bar it showed a wifi icon with the ! sign next to it. When I thought a fixed it earlier I walked until there was no sign. I pulled down the status alerts & I saw 2 of them asking if I want to connect to "CableWifi". I when to "wifi" in setting & it said "CableWifi: connected, No service". I then when to the alerts & I clicked on it & selected "forget". I did that to both alerts & presto the wifi icon & the ! were gone & my droid got on the net via 4LTE. So my conclusion is:
-If the phone does not see any available (possibly unsecured) wifi options it will auto select Cell service for internet.
-If the phone does see a wifi network it will try or automatically connect to it 1st. That is why I had the wifi icon but not access. I didn't choose to connect to it.