I don't know what's going on here..

Discussion in 'Adamz' started by AnthonyZul, Apr 5, 2010.

1. AnthonyZul

AnthonyZul Member

Ratings:
    +0
    When I rooted my Droid, I found this ROM and fell in love with it. Had it on my phone for about a month. All of a sudden one day my phone would randomly restart itself and the time between them increased throughout the day until it went into an endless boot loop. Then it stopped turning on all together. My phone was dead. I called up VZW and made an insurance claim and got a new phone.

I've had my new Droid for probably just under 2 months. And it just happened to me again..

WTH could that be from? I don't know if it was the ROM or if I'm just unlucky enough to have gotten 2 phones that both died the same way..

2. frayed

frayed New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is your new Droid completely dead why didn't you try a different rom or stock to see if problem persists.

3. NeverEndingXsin

Ratings:
    +0
    it could just be a dead battery, did you try charging your phone over night with a wall charger and not a dock or anything?

4. HermitObserver

Ratings:
    +0
    Are you using the Motorola charger or an after-market charger?

5. AnthonyZul

AnthonyZul Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I plug my phone into the wall every night. It is the standard Moto charger. I assumed the problem was with the 1st phone. When I got my new one I didn't root it for about a month. Then I decided to root again. I saw that AdamZ posted a new version, and I tried it out. It was working great until this happened again just today.

Also.. Just right now as I'm typing this the phone has mysteriously turned itself on again and is now in a continuous boot loop. Is there anyway to stop it and get this phone working again?

UPDATE: OK so the looping has stopped. It won't boot up though. I attempted to boot into recovery and the first time it seemed to work but as soon as I let go of the camera/Up buttons it shut off. Now I can't get it to boot into recovery either.. :(

#5 AnthonyZul, Apr 5, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  6. specmac

specmac Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Were you running an overclock and if so what voltage and speed?

7. AnthonyZul

AnthonyZul Member

Ratings:
    +0
    1.1g. I don't remember the phone getting overheated really.

The looping has started again..

8. specmac

specmac Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd suspect overclocking as the culprit vs the ROM. I've been overclocking my PC's since my first 8086 processor PC back in 1983. I have fried more than a few of the processors I've overclocked. It's a real and present risk any time you overclock.

Keep in mind this processor is rated at 600mhz. I'm sure there was a good reason Motorola choose to underclock it to 550mhz. 1.1ghz is close to 2 times the rated speed for this processor. I personal keep mine clocked at default speed and voltage most of the time. I only overclock specifically when I want or need the extra performance and then only for a short period of time. Even then I find 750 - 800mhz is more than enough additional performance.

When I overclock my PC's, I make sure I have added additional cooling capacity. We don't have that option for these devices. I'm also not sure how accurate temperature monitoring is on these devices.

I'm not trying to make accusations or claim overclocking killed your phones. It is however a real possibility. This stuff is always at your own risk and being conservative is usually prudent. Adamz made the statement in the original post " The ROM is running VERY smooth and Battery Life is incredible (if you don't go crazy with processor speed)".

#8 specmac, Apr 6, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  9. RedBull

RedBull Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My two cents...

Are you using JIT? I had a problem with JIT causing a lot of unstability in my phone, so I removed it and it went away. It was doing a lot of force closes and reboots. Once it was gone...magic...

If not...try one of the low voltage kernels that is out there...I'm partial to Chevy's, and there is a link to his kernels in my sig if you wanna check it out.

Hope things get worked out for you!

10. Dave12308

Dave12308 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +50
    If you're truly in a boot loop (meaning Moto logo comes up but OS never begins booting), the device is NOT bricked. Pull the battery, put it back in, hold Dpad-Up, and power on the device. It should go into bootloader mode, even if you are unable to boot into recovery.

From there, you can use the SBF file and RSDLite to get a working OS back on the phone.

It's worth a try anyways, it's not gonna make the situation any worse.

11. mrZoSo

mrZoSo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I'd have to agree with specmac as OCing is the probable culprit also. Especially when your nearing the max OC limit.

12. AnthonyZul

AnthonyZul Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OK well, it seems to be over.

I was getting really frustrated so I began to just play with the phone, doing various things to it. I noticed that the only time I saw the Moto "M" was immediately after pulling the battery. Normally it loops the boot animation continually without going back the M. So I tried pulling the battery again. This time I held the X and Power buttons, while at the same time sliding the battery into place with my free fingers. Then as soon as the Moto logo came up I VERY QUICKLY pressed the camera/up buttons. I was able to get it into Recovery that way, but the second that I took my fingers off the camera/up keys it immediately rebooted. After fiddling with this for a while, and several reboots later, I decided to try and remove 1 finger from the buttons. I let go of the camera button, and kept holding the Up button. This stopped it from rebooting and I was able to navigate the menu. So after all that I finally was able to wipe the data and cache, do an advanced Nandroid backup to before I installed the ROM, and reboot.

Everything is fine now. Thanks for all the help though. That's one of the things I like most about this community.

#12 AnthonyZul, Apr 6, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
Search tags for this page

i try to charge my phone and it says low temperature unable

low temperature unable to charge battery

unable to charge battery low temperature

what does low temperature unable to charge battery mean