I dont know if this has been answered?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by ForestGump, Apr 4, 2010.

1. ForestGump

ForestGump New Member

I rooted my phone and put a ROM, and when I went to update the ROM and it restarted and now it wont go past the motorola logo screen. I can bring it back to the screen after I do the whole "hold X and power button" (can't remember the name of what it's called) and I don't know what else to do.

Did I "brick" my phone? Is there anything else I can do? should I smash it and get a new one with my insurance?
  2. pthance

pthance New Member

While I'm heading to bed in a minute and won't be able to help. Let me set you up for success with the next person who decides to help out.

1. What ROM did you load?
    2. Is this your first time loading a ROM or were you going from one ROM to another?
    3. Power + X is your recovery screen, it would help to know what version of recovery you are running (boot into recovery and it should tell you if you are on clockwork or sprecovery)
    4. You are in a bootloop, you are not bricked, there are ways to fix this.
    5. Did you create a nandroid backup of your phone before trying to load the ROM? (this would have been done in the droid recovery screen)
    6. Do NOT smash your phone to get another one......
  3. jstafford1

jstafford1 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

You're booting into recovery. And you're phone is far from bricked. We don't like the "B" word around here.

What ROM did you put on first and what did you update too?
  4. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

9 times out of 10 when you go into a boot cycle like that the battery isn't recharged enough to boot the phone. Plug it into a wall charger and let it charge a while. It should try to boot, over and over, until it has enough juice to do so.

Posting which rom you tried to apply and a link to the thread with the instructions you used helps too.

Sprecovery or Clockwork is the bootloader screen you get to when you powerup-X. It is from this screen that you can make/restore backups, flash new roms, etc.

No, you didn't brick your phone. Off to bed, but it will work out. I'll check this thread in about 6 hours.
  5. christim

lol, 3 replies within minutes...all good questions/advice. 2 headed to bed:)
  6. brando56894

brando56894 New Member

How long did you let it sit at the "M" ? Ive noticed that sometimes after installing a new rom for the first time it may take up to 5 minutes to load, probably because it has to create a lot of new files or something.

Let it sit on the "M" for a few minutes and if its been like 10 minutes and youre still at the "M" go into SPRecovery or Clockwork Recovery (whichever one you have) and try wiping your cache and then reboot. If that still doesnt work restore your previous backup and try something else!
  7. ForestGump

ForestGump New Member

I loaded the Ultimate droid 9.0 using Rom Manager, it worked fine and I have had the v8.6 on there for a while but now its just looping the "m" logo.

I wiped the SD card and put the update.zip back on and trying to redo it again
  8. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

Don't know about your numbers there though it is possible. Of all the people I've seen this (stuck at bootloader) happen to so far I can only remember 2 that were related to battery charge(s). IME it's far more likely an incompatible kernel (either speed or make). OP you should (after ensuring your battery is charged) switch kernel's. Start with a lower speed and then if needed a different make. Also doesn't hurt to do several complete wipes of EVERYTHING prior to installing any new ROM other than an 'update' from your current ROM.
  9. jstafford1

jstafford1 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Don't wipe the sdcard!! What ROM were you running before you loaded Ultimate Droid 9? What you need to do is boot into recovery ( hold x+power button) then wipe data and cache then flash the ROM or flash a backup, assuming you made one.
  10. brando56894

brando56894 New Member

I believe that wiping the SDcard can help sometimes, after multiple different rom flashes and all of them starting to lag and FC after a few days. I wiped everything but the necessary stuff (needed data files, music, pics, etc...), then I went completely back to stock by flashing the SBF, rerooted using DMupdater, and then used rom manager to install my roms and it did seem smoother than before.

Ive experienced being stuck at the M with incompatible kernels too, its all about trial and error. Ive had my droid for about a month now (and rooted it after 2 days! lol) and Im still trying to find the most stable combo for my phone.
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  11. ForestGump

ForestGump New Member

I wiped everything again, can I load a ROM from my pc? I am unsure if that is possible. and I also tried to reboot it to factory setting using the sbf file way. but i cant turn my phone off with the lock key. I just have to keep pulling out the battary.
  12. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

STOP!!!!!!!!!
    You need to take a min and slow down before you do some real damage.... Start here and take your phone back to 'stock'.

Unroot & Back To Stock | Root Your Droid

Then read here (not just this link but all around that site... become familiar with ADB SPRecovery ect. before you start ANYTHING after the above restore).
    Start Here | Root Your Droid
  13. brando56894

brando56894 New Member

I agree, always read before doing. Dont just dive in, read around and actually understand what youre doing instead of going in blind and possibly destroying a $600 awesome pocket computer.
  14. ForestGump

ForestGump New Member

i just put the ultimate droid v9.0 on my phone and loaded it from the recovery screen and it work. :icon_eek: THANK GAWD!!!! I was really freaking out there for a second.

thanks to all though
  15. MM1 Payne (US Navy)

MM1 Payne (US Navy) New Member

People seem to forget it is really hard to "Brick" your phone. Theres a 0.0000001 chance if you have sprecovery. besides we are like the Droid Genius's lol. Something like the apple Genius's in the apple stores?
  16. brando56894

brando56894 New Member

I was scared at first too about bricking my phone and then realized that its pretty damn hard to do any the only real way to brick it is to screw something up while flashing the SBF file via RSDlite.
  17. christim

You're right, those numbers are probably on the high side. It will be better to just ask if they are flashing while plugged in and fully charged or while on the go and unplugged to find out how charged the battery was when they last saw it.
  18. ForestGump

ForestGump New Member

I think I should still unroot my phone back to stock (even now its running on UltimateDroid v9.0)

I went back to RM and tried to customize it, but everytime it goes to install youtube, it freezes and goes to recovery screen.

But its working.
  19. brando56894

brando56894 New Member

If you feel you want to start from scratch again go for it, after screwing around for a few weeks and stuff FCing and lagging after a few days I decided to go completely back to stock by flashing the 2.0.1 SBF and then started the whole process over again and it seemed to fix 90% of my problems.
  20. ForestGump

ForestGump New Member

I jusy looked and don't even have the update.zip on my phone. And I am running a ROM, weird.