I don't get it

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by s54, Mar 29, 2010.

1. s54

s54 New Member

..and maybe it's obvious, but I didn't see this posted anywhere.

My phone is all stock, except for being rooted and with latest SP recovery. I downloaded Chevy's OC kernel and it installed fine. When I reboot the phone, it is stuck at the M logo. I tried about 10 different kernels and I'm still stuck at the M logo. I restored the backed up stock ROM. Tried again, same story.

Am I being an idiot here? Will these kernels not work with the stock ROM?
  2. pdroid

pdroid New Member

They might not work with your phone. Did you try any of AdamZ's kernels?

Also, Chevy's latest kernels are for 2.1 builds, I believe. That will definitely be problematic if you're still running 2.0.1.
  3. s54

s54 New Member

Not sure if this may cause anything. I had the setCPU application installed before the kernel. But I don't think that would make a difference, or would it?
  4. alienware777

alienware777 New Member

His kernals are for 2.1 . You are running stock, which is 2.0.1 . They will NEVER work for you, unless you go up to 2.1
  5. s54

s54 New Member

Thank you guys.
    Is there a way to upgrade to 2.1 without loading a custom ROM?
  6. stedrocklp

stedrocklp New Member

you can probably still find some 2.0.1 kernels if you do some searching
  7. Abe21599

Abe21599 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

i dont know of a way but why not just install his 2.1 ROM? it really doesnt change the phone that much then you can use one of his kernels

it was bc his kernels are for 2.1 builds and unless you install a rom that has one you cant use his newer kernels
  8. alienware777

alienware777 New Member

Your phone will also be faster even without overclocking. Ese53 itself has many internal changes to increase speed/battery life.
  9. s54

s54 New Member

Actually, I reverted from his ESE53 2.0.3 SS ROM back to stock.

At first, everything worked flawlessly. Hell, I even made a thread about how great it was. But with time, little glitches started to annoy me. And honestly, I have nothing against Chevy or his ROMs. I'm actually very thankful that he's around and willing to help so many of us. Not to mention that his ROM looks great! I'm just writing this as it relates to my experience with stock vs a non-stock ROM.

First of all, it would drain the battery too fast (phone was NOT overclocked at the time). The battery lasts almost twice as long for me when the phone is 100% stock. Second, about into the 2nd week I began to notice more and more FC on programs that used to worked perfect with the stock firmware. Not to mention apps wouldn't install and/or update. Third, I began noticing (at very awkward times) that my screen would go black on me all of a sudden and no amount of pressing buttons would wake it up. Fourth, the phone was choppy. It seems counterintuitive, but even when the phone was overclocked and running at 1.0 ghz, it would on occasions experience this lag and choppiness (even though temperature was low and I don't have many apps installed either). And although the phone is clearly slower in stock form, it was smoother. Weird, I know, but that's been my experience. And maybe I'm asking for too much here. Maybe the phone is suppose to experience these little quirks and may have to be restarted more often. All I'm saying is that the stock software seems more stable. What can I say, I put reliability above all else.

I'm probably not going to try other ROMs. My gut feeling is that they all have problems, no matter what people say. When the phone is stock, I have zero problems. Literally none. Sure it may be on an old OS 2.0.1, but it works flawlessly for me 100% of the time.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm very glad that I tried! Otherwise, I would have never known what I'm missing; or in this case what I'm not :)
    Hence why I asked about loading his kernel on the stock firmware. I still want to experiment and see how stock works when overclocked. I guess I'll just wait until the official 2.1 comes out.
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  10. alienware777

alienware777 New Member

11. alienware777

alienware777 New Member

It double posted...
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  12. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Sorry to hear you ran into these quirks - by chance you didn't enable JIT did you?

I have even had a couple of the issues you mention - I am going to do some testing to isolate whether it is kernel or ROM, then go from there. In the meantime - I THINK this is one of my older 2.0.1 kernels - give it a try and let me know:

4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download ChevyNo1-OC-v3.zip