I Don't Get It

Tarkus9

Reaction score
Hey folks, this is my first post here so bear with me. I own a Droid X and was doing just fine until the latest update. Now the phone is basically useless to me. The Bluetooth no longer works properly in my 2011 car and I can't send e-mails, these majoramong a number of other issues.

I went to the store and tried a Bionic and have the same issues. Motorola is aware of these issues and I've seen other posts that say we may actually see a fix in the next month or two. After speaking with Verizon I'm told the RAZR is going to have the same software as the Bionic and Droid X. How in the world do you release a new device with these known issues (and tons of others I've seen mentioned)? Am I missing something? I've worked in high-techelectronics for over 20 years and would never do such a thing. What gives with these companies? Are all these issues supposed to be resolvedby the release or are they knowingly going to sell a defective product? I'm truly at a loss for words.

Last edited:

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've had the Bionic since day one. No email issues. No connection issues. I have not tried the bluetooth but my car may not be compatible with it - my OG Droid didn't work with it either.

No one knows if the RAZR will have some of the discussed issues fixed. If not they will be fixed within a month.

One of the major issues with me was build quality of the Bionic - I'm going to switch to the RAZR which obviously is a tank.

rza49311

Reaction score
What kind of email issues are you having? There might be a setup issue and someone here can help you fix it. I would also say what car you have and someone might have a fix for that too.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yeah, I've had none of those issue on my bionic either. I think you may have a bad install of the update. Have you tried asking the Verizon folks to reflash it for you?

Deron

Reaction score
I own a Droid X with the latest Android 2.3 Gingerbread update and my Bluetooth and email work just fine. Also, my girlfriend's Droid X works as well. I had a coworker who updated her Droid X and it was acting weird until I noticed she had a task killer app. I removed the task killer and then her phone worked just fine.

The only problems we've had with our Droid X phones is that they were spontaneously rebooting every few days. But this seems to have resolved itself about 2 months ago.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

leftspin

Reaction score
I say this way too often, but do a factory reset. So many people have issues with the update but if you do the hard reset it's almost guaranteed to fix it. Just make sure you backup anything you can't get back because you will lose all your apps/anything not on the SD card

OP
T

Tarkus9

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. I'll give a little more detail. I have spent at least 8 hours trying to resolve the issues with my phone. I have talked to Motorola, Verizon, and Time Warner, who does my e-mail. I have done numerous resets. I have done the Factory Data Reset at least three times. I have also done the reset where you hold various buttons on the phone, which is supposed to set you back to the way the phone was when you bought it (which it didn't). I have replaced the battery. None of these things resolved the issues I am having and which I never had prior to the 2.3.3 update. I spoke to my car dealer and he told me they get at least five calls a day regarding bluetooth issues since the latest version of bluetooth went public. Verizon told me the bluetooth issues seems to be more focused on German cars (I have a BMW).

Wondering if the e-mail settings were correct I went to a Verizon store. At the store I tried the Bionic and had the same problem. I then tried an HTC phone and the e-mail problem went away. Therefore I know the e-mail settings are correct. I was not able to check the bluetooth since I couldn't take the phone to my car. However, BMW tells me they have problems with all makes of phones that have the latest version of bluetooth installed. I have had Verizon Corporate Relations speak with Motorola and these are known problems on which they are working. However, they cannot give me a date by which they will be resolved.

Bottom line is both Motorola and Verizon admit the problems are with Motorola's implemetation of gingerbread and bluetooth's failure to be backwards compatible with at least some German makes of cars. I would be very interested if anyone has a Motorola Droid phone with an e-mail address that ends with ca.rr.com and is actually able to send e-mails. Also, if anyone has a 2011 BMW and can use bluetooth as designed. Again, since both Motorola and Verizon admit these problems exist, I don't know how they can release a new phone with the same known issues. And the fact that some people have a Droid X without these issues does not mean they don't exist. The problems don't exist with all e-mails nor with all cars. However, they do with mine and make the phone pretty much useless unless I'm simply making regular phone calls from the phone itself.

As a final note I have added absolutely no apps to the phone since the reset, so the problems are not caused by anything I've added.

Last edited:

rza49311

Reaction score
I know this isn't a fix really but have you ever considered a web-based email account instead of an ISP based account? I'm sure you created a gmail account for your phone. I don't like ISP based accounts because if you ever drop the provider, that email address is gone, whereas web-based accounts are always there regardless of your ISP.

OP
T

Tarkus9

Reaction score
I know this isn't a fix really but have you ever considered a web-based email account instead of an ISP based account? I'm sure you created a gmail account for your phone. I don't like ISP based accounts because if you ever drop the provider, that email address is gone, whereas web-based accounts are always there regardless of your ISP.
Yeah, I can actually use webmail for the ISP, but it's slower and a bit of pain. I've had the same e-mail for ages and that's the one people know so I'm hesitant to switch to something else.

rza49311

Reaction score
Yeah, I can actually use webmail for the ISP, but it's slower and a bit of pain. I've had the same e-mail for ages and that's the one people know so I'm hesitant to switch to something else.

yeah I've been there. When I changed, I did it slowly. I started automatically forwarding all my email from the ISP to my gmail account and made all replies/new emails from the the new account, so people caught on fairly easily. After several months, I dropped the ISP account.