I did the did OTA and now

Reaction score
If I drag a widget to the front for easy access it is also in the slide bar, why??? Call me crazy but this annoys me! Also why are there other things now like goggles and news and weather will these periodically be added?... Are there easier ways to get rid of these other then rooting... am I asking this in the right area? :)

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
You can't get rid of the apps that came with the OS, but what do you mean by widgets being in the slide bar? The notification bar? Or the pull-down tray for notifications? Or something else?

LuN3yDaV3

Reaction score
So I believe you are saying that you don't want your shortcut in both your home screen and app drawer. I don't think it is possible to remove the app shortcut from the app drawer without installing. I did see there is an app that "hides" your program shortcut called Panda (look in Market), but not sure if that's what you are looking for. If you don't want Google Goggles or Weather apps, just uninstall them by going to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications (you may have to set the filter to ALL).

OP
spiralskygilligan
Reaction score
I guess we all call it something different?
The tab that you pull up. If I dray lets say the message icon(widget) to the front where the phone (widget ) is then there is also on on the slide tab (tray) also, why is this? It was not like this before I did the OTA .
Thanks Im sorry for being ignorant,

mantis5

Reaction score
When you drag an app to one of the home screens, it just creates a shortcut, it doesn't actually move the app. That's why you see it in both places.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I guess we all call it something different?
The tab that you pull up. If I dray lets say the message icon(widget) to the front where the phone (widget ) is then there is also on on the slide tab (tray) also, why is this? It was not like this before I did the OTA .
Thanks Im sorry for being ignorant,

Ok, you're talking about ICONS, not widgets. And it WAS like that before. Basically, think of your app drawer (the drawer at the bottom that you pull up with all of your apps) as your start menu on your computer.

When you place one of those icons on the home screen (like the desktop on your computer), you're not removing it from the app drawer (start menu), you're simply creating a shortcut to it.

I personally use a free app called "Apps Organizer." It lets you create custom folders and place shortcuts to apps inside. I have one for tools and one for games. This way, I have all of my favorite apps on my home screens, then I have the others nicely divided in the folders and I don't have to search through ALL of my apps in the drawer to find the ones that I use less often. I only have to search through a smaller collection of apps that serve a similar purpose.

Hope that helps. Also, the guy above is wrong. You can't uninstall Goggles from the settings/manage applications menu (I just tried and it's not an option).

Hope that helps you a bit!

FYI: an icon is something you click to open an app. A widget is something that serves a function directly on the home screen like displaying the whether, or new tweets, or etc.

OP
spiralskygilligan
Reaction score
Johnny K
The icons are what I am talking about :).. and i am confused even more because :):) when i say was... I mean (before the OTA) I could drag the icon from the tray to the front of the phone (creating a shortcut) and there would not be duplicate in the tray.... and now there are and my OCD is kicking in and making me nuts with this..
I didn't think you could delete/uninstall because I didn't install them they are programs on the phone.

I know this phone is a beast and I don't know how to use it to its full potential , but Im trying to learn from pros on this forum...

Claire

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Sorry to disagree with you, but I've been using Android since the very first phone to have the system (t mobile's G1) and creating a shortcut on the homescreen has never removed an app from the drawer.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
spiralskygilligan
Reaction score
That is fine maybe that was also a issue from my software problems? I am on my 6th droid, due to soft ware problems and prox sensor issues. Its ok! We cant all agree :)

drice72

Reaction score
I have always had duplicate icons. I have apps I use for work. I created a folder to put them in on one of the home screens, but the icon is still in the app drawer. The OTA update didn't change it. I agree it is very annoying. I created the folders to "clean up" my icons, and now I have twice as many icons.....

Also, my phone has some serious lag after the update, anyone else notice this?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have always had duplicate icons. I have apps I use for work. I created a folder to put them in on one of the home screens, but the icon is still in the app drawer. The OTA update didn't change it. I agree it is very annoying. I created the folders to "clean up" my icons, and now I have twice as many icons.....

Also, my phone has some serious lag after the update, anyone else notice this?

There are only two places where you should have duplicate icons. The pull out drawer and on the home screen.

If you have a duplicate icon in the pull out drawer you can trash it. and only the one on the home screen will remain.

If you are seeing duplicate icons on your home screen, then you have an issue but this can be easily resolved. Just do a 30 second battery pull. I had this happen to me the other day so I know it works. Restart the Droid and the duplicates will go away.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Your app icons are ALWAYS in the app drawer/tray whatever you wanna call it. You can't remove those icons unless you completely remove/delete the app. And the new programs like the News and Weather Widget were considered major software updates for the Droid. So just utilize the new features and discover their usefulness...

AJRAS

Reaction score
That is fine maybe that was also a issue from my software problems? I am on my 6th droid, due to soft ware problems and prox sensor issues. Its ok! We cant all agree :)

not trying to offend you but maybe you're just droid dumb(?:motdroidvert:?)

JCo352

Reaction score
This thread is hilarious, one misunderstanding after another...