I did my first root.

caminator

Reaction score
I just rooted the Fascinate successfully. This is the first Android unit Ive owned. My question now is, how do I remove all that shiz that VZW put on it. I odn't want 95% of those stupid apps. Can someone walk me through what I need to do now? Thank you!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You will need to purchase Root Explorer from the Market. You can uninstall them using that.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
+1 on Root Explorer...probably the best few dollars I spent on an app

OP
C

caminator

Reaction score
That's the only way? I have to purchase something? Not that I care about a few bucks (although that means one less beer tonight) but I'm surprised there isn't another way. :)

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I can not confirm this but you might want to find out first if removing any of the 'bloatware' will have adverse affects on your device.

ie. With the Droid X removing the bloatware is not recommended. Renaming the apps was a solution.

I personally don't have the answer so I'm merely airing on the side of caution for you.

FrostMan

Reaction score
You can uninstall apps using titanium backup, but I renamed most of them in system/app with root explorer, as opposed to removing.

The heroics with messing with system for me will begin when we get a custom recovery going.

czm2000

Reaction score
Words of wisdom.

Many folks screwed up their Droids bad by deleting files instead if renaming them.

-Sent using my Android Phone

bastosero

Reaction score
+1 on Root Explorer

It will save you a lot of time using it to delete or rename whatever you need to compared to going the "adb" way.

Silverwing

Reaction score
I just rooted the Fascinate successfully. This is the first Android unit Ive owned. My question now is, how do I remove all that shiz that VZW put on it. I odn't want 95% of those stupid apps. Can someone walk me through what I need to do now? Thank you!

I strongly suggest that you don't start deleting random things. Wait for someone with a custom rom, or scripts. Trust me, unless you know exactly what you are doing, you could really do some harm that isn't easy (if at all possible) to undo.

dricacho

Reaction score
This is why I chose not to even bother rooting my Fascinate as soon as I get it. Because of no custom ROM, there's no way to recover if or when something unexpected happens. It would be a major upset if you suddenly can't use your smartphone for anything.

I'll just opt for the Google work around Bing for now. Google Maps Navigation can be downloaded and used so no big worries there.

phyziks

Reaction score
Root Explorer ftw.

How can I set my phone up so that Bing is not the default search engine?

Last edited:

jchavez

Reaction score
One main benefit now of rooting is that you can apply the lag fix, that will speed up your phone even more, developers are almost done getting a recovery and a custom rom for us without all the crap

Taino Warrior

Reaction score
If there any of you fellows in So-Cal that would root my phone and fix my lag and put Google as a main search i would gladly pay for your troubles.