I did it! But what exactly is S-ON and S-OFF?

PaulQ

Reaction score
Hi...

After a lot of work, I finally rooted my Inc! Yay!

Now I have a question... I used Unrevoked 3 and installed Cyanogenmod 7. In the process, I think the directions said it was turning "S-OFF" ... I didn't pay much attention to it.

Can anyone explain the S-ON/OFF situation to me in plain English?

Thanks!

smtom

Reaction score
S-OFF means you have permanent root, regardless of OTA updates and such. Your access to the device is down to the lowest level possible, meaning you can flash the radio, kernel, and the ROM.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

OP
P

PaulQ

Reaction score
Thanks! So why would anyone want S-ON? Is it just a thing the carrier likes to see if you ever have to take the phone back?

(no idea what flashing the radio is but I get the idea of control)

smtom

Reaction score
Well, rooting voids your warranty, so the carrier would have interest about S on/off.
The radio is how the device communicates, radio waves = cell phone.
Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks! So why would anyone want S-ON? Is it just a thing the carrier likes to see if you ever have to take the phone back?

(no idea what flashing the radio is but I get the idea of control)

Yeah to be completely stock you will need to revert to S-ON, but you can do this twice as easily as obtaining S-OFF.

OP
P

PaulQ

Reaction score
I hope you don't mind these follow up questions but.... Why would you update the radio on your phone yourself?

jdshort2010

Reaction score
Maybe I've missed it going through different forums but how can I get S-ON and back to 2.2 from 2.1 after unrooting?

jdshort2010

Reaction score
Actually, my issue isnt resolved. Doug gives instructions for turning S-ON through clockwork recovery but I am unrooted and therefore only have HBoot. How do I get S-On through regular HBoot? or can i?

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
^ Then you'll have to re-root to obtain s-On
Sorry I didn't catch that earlier. Reroot, S-On, then RUU or P31IMG.zip back to stock 2.2 if that is your goal.