I can't get the OTA update for my Droid Razr?!

jae480

Reaction score
Hey everyone :blink: I have a Droid Razr that I rooted a few weeks ago almost immediately after getting it. Anyways, Verizon Wireless since has released an over the air update for the Droid Razr, however, everytime I try to install the update it fails at the end. I've heard that the reason that I can't install the update is because I probably deleted some bloatload from the phone, which is I did I used Titanium Backup to remove those annoying Verizon Wireless apps that I don't want on my phone. At any rate, does anyone here know what to do so that I can install the new OTA update on my Droid Razr? Does anyone here know how to SBF my Droid Razr back to stock so that it has all the annoying bloatload on it as if I just took the phone out of the box? Thanks in advance! :)

Watch my video this is why I got the phone :) [video=youtube;kUBS2aKFgZ0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUBS2aKFgZ0[/video] it is very scratcht resistant but it is by no means scratch proof obviously if you try hard enough you will scratch the phone. I wouldn't recommend that you try this just in case you do scratch it.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Yeah, you need to return your phone to stock and unroot. Go next door to the Hack portion of this forum, there is information there on how to unroot your phone and/or use fastbook to get your phone back to stock.

eric.scheman

Reaction score
Yea you'll have to reinstall the bloat back on there. You'll have to figure out which ones you uninstalled. Next time you should just freeze them and not delete them that way at anytime you can just defrost it and you wont have a problem

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Yea you'll have to reinstall the bloat back on there. You'll have to figure out which ones you uninstalled. Next time you should just freeze them and not delete them that way at anytime you can just defrost it and you wont have a problem
Won't fastbook reinstall the apps he deleted. Maybe not, I've never used fastboot.

eric.scheman

Reaction score
I'm not sure I haven't used the fastboot files. I have a backup of the original apps if you want to PM me

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
I hate to be a pain but this is for everyone other than the OP.

Rule #1 - Don't remove bloat. Freeze it. Removing is like taking a cup of water from a 5 gallon bucket.
The apps just don't take up enough space to worry about. Freeze them so they don't run. Titanium will freeze them.
Do not "de-bloat" unless you know how to "re-bloat".

Something as simple as changing the battery icon can proven an OTA update.
Root but other than "freeze", just don't do it unless you know exactly what you are doing.

If there is no flash available, then do do anything but root and freeze.

Now, there is a flash available for the Razr. Go over to XDA, I don't have the link handy.
You will be able to go back to stock, then take the OTA and re-root.

Kimo91

Reaction score
I hate to be a pain but this is for everyone other than the OP.

Rule #1 - Don't remove bloat. Freeze it. Removing is like taking a cup of water from a 5 gallon bucket.
The apps just don't take up enough space to worry about. Freeze them so they don't run. Titanium will freeze them.
Do not "de-bloat" unless you know how to "re-bloat".

Something as simple as changing the battery icon can proven an OTA update.
Root but other than "freeze", just don't do it unless you know exactly what you are doing.

If there is no flash available, then do do anything but root and freeze.

Now, there is a flash available for the Razr. Go over to XDA, I don't have the link handy.
You will be able to go back to stock, then take the OTA and re-root.

+1....I've never understood why people who root their phones are so delete happy that they remove all kinds of bloat and then sit here and create all kinds of "help I can't update my phone cause I deleted all bloatware". If you're going to take time to read how to root your device, normally there's another thread that has reasons to freeze bloatware apps and also NOT TO DELETE BLOATWARE APPS. Sorry but that's the way I feel about rookies rooting their phones and that's all they research.

Sent from my Rooted and Safestrapped Moto DROID RAZR

eidian

Reaction score
Won't fastbook reinstall the apps he deleted. Maybe not, I've never used fastboot.

Yes it will, that's why there was so much celebration when it came out. I couldn't update because I was running Theory's RazrX; I used the fast boot files to restore the phone back to stock (still had the rooted apps but lost root itself). Re-rooted after updating and I'm going to keep this phone rooted/stock.

From experience I've found that using an established app like Liberty is the best/safest way to remove bloat (ie using Liberty to create the AOSP experience) or by installing a well established ROM. Since we have neither for the Razr, freezing is the best way to go.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

OP
J

jae480

Reaction score
Thank you all for your contribution. :) Now, I know exactly what I need to do and I sure won't be doing that again haha.