I Can't Believe I Rooted My Droid

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I got to agree that you should be able to understand fully what you're getting into. Maybe it's because I hang out here a lot but I didn't have any problem getting help when I kind of got stuck. Even today with this forum I got answers to all my other questions.

Reading the instructions in the how to's is a huge task. Quite honestly I was under the belief that the 5.00 app would handle everything. No, it doesn't. But it handles enough that with the help of this forum you should be OK.

That's not a recommendation to root, it's just my experience.

The help that I have seen flying around is amazing. People go out of their way to make sure others are not stuck. I don't think anyone gave Hookbill special help. I've seen new members as well as those who have been here a while get helped. I've seen easy and tough installs. Some go real easy...others not so easy. It's the one or two that might have not ended up where they wanted to be that have me still watching and learning.

Reading those two threads will probably take an hour or so. Anyone doing so will gain a fair amount of knowledge as well. Having read those threads I now know that 5 bucks does not buy a plug and play app. My main reason for pointing to those 2 threads is so others also realize that while this is doable it can also come with some moments of panic as well as the fact that anyone looking for answers will find them there in messages themselves or in the form of links elsewhere. Actually, by now reading just the 2nd link will probably suffice:)

The mention of the moments of panic, while true, is also now kind of fondly remembered as part of the fun. I guess a comparison would be like someone who may want to sky dive. We all know that probably everything will go well but there's a risk involve. I know that's really apples and oranges but it does have that "thrill" type feel to it.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm on day 2 and I'm loving it,rooting. Isn't for everybody, but if you willing to learn then its worth it. I would tell any one that is gonna do it. Take ur time it only takes 1 o.s. will u brick ur phone prob not but two people may have damaged their sd card. Not sure if it was from rooting with the app or something else. I'm not trying to scare anyone because thr reward out weight the risks. Its like driving you risk not getting home safely but the more cautious andknowledge u get the more u are able to keep an issue from becoming a crisis.

jasonb

Reaction score
been rooted since tuesday. been a great experience so far. i'm never going back. :)

Hector1959

Reaction score
I don't even know what rooting is all about? Please someone tell me in just a few lines. Is it worth it? Over clocking, better photo viewing, moving backgrounds!!! What else can you do with it? Should I wait for 2.1, 2.1.1, 2.??????

SANhacker

Reaction score
You will find all you could ask for in the "Hacks" forum in terms of what rooting is and the benefits of doing so.
Regarding, should I wait, it is being reported on this forum and others, the OTA 2.1 update will somehow prevent rooting. That's what drove me over the edge to do it now.

I'd recommend following one of the [How To] guides in the hacks forum rather than downloading an app. That way you will have a good idea of how the process works. In other words, how to recover if needed.

Been running BBeast 7.4 since Wednesday and loving it.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The mention of the moments of panic, while true, is also now kind of fondly remembered as part of the fun. I guess a comparison would be like someone who may want to sky dive. We all know that probably everything will go well but there's a risk involve. I know that's really apples and oranges but it does have that "thrill" type feel to it.

I could sense that thrill as I read through those 4am posts. They were funny too as they went from "this sucks" to "ah ha...this rocks its super fast!"

With you being on the DF Newsteam I've got a story/item for you: I checked and we have 35.5k members on this forum. I think it would be interesting to know how many had rooted and how many had not. Granted, not all 35k are active but maybe if a poll that let people only vote once but change their vote, as their status changes, and have them chose one of 4 options:
Have rooted and overclocked
Have rooted and am not messing with the cpu
Never will root
Plan on rooting in the future

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you root the main benefit is that you can overclock your CPU and go twice as fast or more.

Also you get very cool themes and many of the 2.1 features right now.

However the disadvantage is no more OTA updates - you have to rely on people to get you all of the updates manually.

I choose to wait because I want all of the fixes from 2.1, and the animated wallpapers and extra screens. Right now if you root you don't get the wallpaper and you can get the extra screens but you crash fairly often.

Knowing who roots these I would bet within 30 days or sooner of the release of 2.1 there will be a root for it. I choose to wait until then.

I don't even know what rooting is all about? Please someone tell me in just a few lines. Is it worth it? Over clocking, better photo viewing, moving backgrounds!!! What else can you do with it? Should I wait for 2.1, 2.1.1, 2.??????

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
In the simplest of terms its like putting an OS in your Droid that you totally control. Overclocked is an example. With 2.0.1 you're limited to 500mhz. Overclocked you can speed your Droid up. I'm currently running at 800mhz. I could go even faster.

That's about the best way I can describe it. There is much more then overclocked. Go to the Hack threads for more info.

MontyMo

Reaction score
Ya! I'm rooted using the app. It went smoothly (sorta) I did it while at work. My boss asked who I was texting. I replied I haven't texted anyone all day. I did root the darn thing though :)

I about ready to try BB 7.4 using these instructions found here:

AllDroid - View topic - [ROM] Bugless Beast V0.7.4 (Maps Update Available)

Update.zip Installation Info & Instructions (No Data Loss):
-You can upgrade from any rooted ROM that is 2.0.1
-Be sure to have signed into your Google account before installing
-Update (if available) all of your apps before installing
-Download update.zip
-Uninstall any apk & odex files I previously moved to /data (Only If Installing Over 0.7 Or Previous ROMS)
-Place update.zip on the root of sdcard
-Reboot into recovery
-Install
-Allow update.zip installation
-Install /sdcard/update.zip (deprecated)
-Enjoy!

jasonb

Reaction score
If you root the main benefit is that you can overclock your CPU and go twice as fast or more.

Also you get very cool themes and many of the 2.1 features right now.

However the disadvantage is no more OTA updates - you have to rely on people to get you all of the updates manually.

I choose to wait because I want all of the fixes from 2.1, and the animated wallpapers and extra screens. Right now if you root you don't get the wallpaper and you can get the extra screens but you crash fairly often.

Knowing who roots these I would bet within 30 days or sooner of the release of 2.1 there will be a root for it. I choose to wait until then.

who says we get crashes?

the BB7.4 rom has everything from 2.1 except for the live wallpapers. i could care less about live wallpapers that i won't use anyway. i don't get any force closes or crashes. everything has been super smooth. this rom runs better and waaaayy faster than 2.0.1.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Root gives you full admin access to your phone. With it you can replace the kernel, control the CPU speed, and have access to the hardware. Most apps that the Nexus and other phones have gotten have non-root availability to them already , such as the updated Maps app in the marketplace, the gallery and other apps on droid-life.com. Faster CPU and Tethering of your laptop to your cell would be two good reasons to root your phone. Those who use ssh, networking tools and other "techie" things have other reasons. As someone just posted...doing so before you can't is another reason.
I have not rooted. I definitely have the skills to do so, yet I've seen others who claim the same not get their desired results. I don't think anyone has totally toasted their phone. I think you'd have to know what you were doing to actually do that....it would have to be done on purpose. I most likely will root, just not yet. ahh...in a just a few lines?....sorry, I'm done:)

lmapp

Reaction score
I rooted and flashed with Bugless yesterday. I wasn't crazy about the display, and I couldn't get setcpu to run, so I returned to stock. I had hell getting back to stock, but that's another story.

Today I downloaded SMupdater. I'm running Sholes 2.01 and I'm loving it. 5 home screens, multi-touch and 800 mhz (with setcpu). No problems at all - not one. Almost forgot, voice to text in any application that uses the keyboard. It's beta, but it's pretty damned accurate.

So much for 2.1.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I rooted and flashed with Bugless yesterday. I wasn't crazy about the display, and I couldn't get setcpu to run, so I returned to stock. I had hell getting back to stock, but that's another story.

Today I downloaded SMupdater. I'm running Sholes 2.01 and I'm loving it. 5 home screens, multi-touch and 800 mhz (with setcpu). No problems at all - not one. Almost forgot, voice to text in any application that uses the keyboard. It's beta, but it's pretty damned accurate.

So much for 2.1.

see...this is why news like this, just posted yesterday, is so out of date for those who frequent these forums:)
Hey, Google! Why No Multitouch for the Droid? - PCWorld Business Center