I can no longer find my .nomedia file

Rr9108

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S3
For about 2 -2.5 years now I've had a .nomedia file (on my samsung s3) and I've been able to move things into it without any issues. Now, however, I cannot locate it. It's extremely frustrating, and also worth mentioning is that at about this same time, I've now noticed the term "emulated" on my phone. As in "emulated" storage on device or storage card. I have no idea what's happened to cause this or how to undo it, I just want to be able to access my files as I am accustomed to.

I'm not tech savvy by any means, and I know I'll never be able to figure this one out on my own.

Help please?

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum

I'm not certain about the emulated question but on the .nomedia file, where was that file. It should have been in a folder. You can always create a new one as it is an empty file anyway,

OP
R

Rr9108

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S3
Hi Leeshor,

When I wanted to move a picture to it, I would to under "files" folder, all files, I would get the picture from gallery, camera or whatever.... hit MOVE, then go back to all files, (I think all this was on the storage card) and hit DCIM and then Pics, (I think) and then the folder would be there. (I'd named the nomedia file) and I would click on it and hit "move here." Et viola!

Now I cannot find the file. it's just not there, and I'm wondering where it went, and all the pics that were in it.

It's making me CRAZY.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
The .nomedia file is actually intended to keep Gallery from indexing the files in that folder. You have me confused as to the intent. The file can be easily crated and dropped anywhere.

OP
R

Rr9108

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S3
The intent was to keep some pictures out of the gallery, which it did well for the whole time I've had it. I just dont know how it could disappear out of the blue like it has. When I had it, and I could click on it, then there was a file in there I'd named. INSIDE the nomedia file. I went to move something to it,and it's simply gone - the whole nomedia file is gone. Is there a way to search for a nomedia file?

because there are pictures in it, I dont see them (which was the intent), but now I have no idea how to access it because I cannot find it.

I love my phone, but this is nuts.

P

promo87

Well, have your remembered installing some cleaner apps ??? Cleaner apps delete all the junk files and i guess the same has happened with you it may have though that the .nomedia folder is full of junk files and it may have wiped all the ... :( I don't think you can get it now !!

OP
R

Rr9108

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S3
YIKES, that's so sad! I do have a cleaner app i use every now and then, but i've been using the same one for a long time. over a year. so if it did clean/delete the nomedia file, it just decided to do it... Grrrrr. technology. Maybe during one of the cleaner "updates" it changed and went nuts and deleted a whole file I wanted??? This is all i can think of. i'm so sad I've lost it all. is there any way to tell for sure?

Can you give me instructions on how to properly set up another .nomedia file and where to put it so this doesnt happen again? (IF I can ever get over losing everything.... > tears)

P

promo87

YIKES, that's so sad! I do have a cleaner app i use every now and then, but i've been using the same one for a long time. over a year. so if it did clean/delete the nomedia file, it just decided to do it... Grrrrr. technology. Maybe during one of the cleaner "updates" it changed and went nuts and deleted a whole file I wanted??? This is all i can think of. i'm so sad I've lost it all. is there any way to tell for sure?

Can you give me instructions on how to properly set up another .nomedia file and where to put it so this doesnt happen again? (IF I can ever get over losing everything.... > tears)
Well, yup like @Ieeshor said you can use text editor or word processor to create an empty file and name it .nomedia. :)