Solved I can get Wi-Fi on my DM, but not on my DM2 ???

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
The following may be worth a shot, MaxxGrl, but I had a similar problem with my brother's new phone that wouldn't connect to the Wi-Fi. After trying several possible fixes with his phone, I finally called Time Warner Cable (TWC). It took about three phone calls of them telling me our signal/connection was fine before someone finally knew the problem.

Apparently, TWC's modem/router's are set by default to broadcast only one of the two possible signals. (I forget what these broadcast signals are called, but let's call it signal A and signal B). So, by default, TWC's modem/router's are set to only broadcast the A signal. Most phones have antennas that will pick up both A or B signals. But if a phone has an antenna that will only pick up B signals then it won't be able to connect to a router that is only broadcasting the A signal.

Hopefully, this isn't too confusing. The only thing that TWC needed to do to fix this problem was reset the modem/router to broadcast both signals. They were able to reset this over the phone. No tech visit to the house was necessary. Once they did this, my brother's phone miraculously was able to connect to the Wi-Fi.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
The following may be worth a shot, MaxxGrl, but I had a similar problem with my brother's new phone that wouldn't connect to the Wi-Fi. After trying several possible fixes with his phone, I finally called Time Warner Cable (TWC). It took about three phone calls of them telling me our signal/connection was fine before someone finally knew the problem.

Apparently, TWC's modem/router's are set by default to broadcast only one of the two possible signals. (I forget what these broadcast signals are called, but let's call it signal A and signal B). So, by default, TWC's modem/router's are set to only broadcast the A signal. Most phones have antennas that will pick up both A or B signals. But if a phone has an antenna that will only pick up B signals then it won't be able to connect to a router that is only broadcasting the A signal.

Hopefully, this isn't too confusing. The only thing that TWC needed to do to fix this problem was reset the modem/router to broadcast both signals. They were able to reset this over the phone. No tech visit to the house was necessary. Once they did this, my brother's phone miraculously was able to connect to the Wi-Fi.

Worth a shot for sure. This is another compatibility issue and like the firmware updates is an example of newer technology not playing well with older technology. Thanks TMD for the suggestion. I would certainly give if a shot.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

OP
MaxxGrl

MaxxGrl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
DROID MAXX 2
So, that's the roku, the pc, then 2 phones correct? One of which doesn't work.

Ok, have you tried turning the wifi off on the phone that is working then turning on the wifi on the phone that wasn't working?

If it is a device limitation, that would let you know if that is the actual problem or eliminate it from the things that could be an issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Yep, I did try that. :( But, I just went over to a friend's house and connected fine to their Wi-Fi, so the next step seems to be calling DISH. One mo' time! :)

OP
MaxxGrl

MaxxGrl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
DROID MAXX 2

That makes sense. They told me the same thing: "Signal fine on our end", and I'm sure it was. But, now I have some heavy ammo to go in with. :) Thank you for the post ... and for the details. Calling DISH tomorrow ... "I'll be back" .. :)

OP
MaxxGrl

MaxxGrl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
DROID MAXX 2
Worth a shot for sure. This is another compatibility issue and like the firmware updates is an example of newer technology not playing well with older technology. Thanks TMD for the suggestion. I would certainly give if a shot.

Will do. Gee, I didn't think my DM2 was so "cutting edge". I'm so proud of it!
DROID RULES !!!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Yep, I did try that. :( But, I just went over to a friend's house and connected fine to their Wi-Fi, so the next step seems to be calling DISH. One mo' time! :)
This is exactly why we began to realize it wasn't my brother's phone that was the problem but something with his home Wi-Fi or internet connection. His phone could connect fine at my house but refused at his house. Yet, we were able to connect our laptops and my phone via wifi at his house. Very similar situation to yours.

OP
MaxxGrl

MaxxGrl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
DROID MAXX 2
I don't recall if I mentioned that, although my DM2 is new, it had been picking up Wi-Fi just fine for about 6 weeks. It was only a few days ago that it stopped connecting. Did your brother's phone start having the problem right away when he first bought it and tried it at home?

I thought I'd ask that, before calling DISH later on. So, can a compatibility / firmware glitch happen just all of a sudden, even though there appeared to be no compatibility issues with it the prior 6 weeks?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Actually, it worked fine until I got rid of his outdated linksys router because twc had just replaced his modem with a modem-router...making the linksys unnecessary.

The reason why it worked when the linsys router was connected was because the linksys broadcast both wifi signals. Once disconnected, the modem-router was only broadcasting one wifi signal until twc fixed it to broadcast both signals.

It's possible that your internet service provider (ISP) did some sort of tweeking to or reset your connection that changed your modem-router's wifi broadcast signals (they do not have to be physically present to do this).

It's worth a try.

OP
MaxxGrl

MaxxGrl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
DROID MAXX 2
Actually, it worked fine until I got rid of his outdated linksys router because twc had just replaced his modem with a modem-router...making the linksys unnecessary.

The reason why it worked when the linsys router was connected was because the linksys broadcast both wifi signals. Once disconnected, the modem-router was only broadcasting one wifi signal until twc fixed it to broadcast both signals.

It's possible that your internet service provider (ISP) did some sort of tweeking to or reset your connection that changed your modem-router's wifi broadcast signals (they do not have to be physically present to do this).

It's worth a try.

Yep, they did some tweaking from their end when I spoke to them initially. She did some ping tests (I think), changed channel from 1 to 7, and other things while I was holding on. She then said that everything was fine on their end. So, I'm guessing that at the time, there was no need to check on broadcast signals. (Mine is also modem-router). I am now having problems connecting to my Roku box. Sigh .... :( Just started tonite. When I go through the troubleshooting steps, Roku suggests firmware update. I went out to CenturyLink and checked: my firmware is up to date. The next step from Roku is to contact ISP. That was the next thing I was about to do anyway.

It's been electronic hell around here for the past month or so. In the beginning, it was a nice little troubleshooting challenge ... but now ... egads! I'm still using a network workaround just to be able to use internet on computer, my phone is still only connecting to 4G, and now I don't have Netflix streaming for tonight's video binge! Aye carumba!

I might as well go pitch a tent in the backyard and read scary stories with a flashlight. That'll take my mind off this mess! LOL

OP
MaxxGrl

MaxxGrl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
DROID MAXX 2
FINALLY FIXED! I called DISH again, and we went over the issues for both my computer and phone. Firmware and broadcast cables checked -- all OK. After a whole bunch of pulling cables, rebooting, tweaking settings ... well, you know the drill ... we finally found the culprit: My Mom's Airport router for her Mac. It turns out that it wasn't needed in the first place, but never presented a problem until I upgraded from Win7 to Win10 and from DM to DM2.

I do believe the nightmare is over, and I'm no longer living in electronic hell! :)

A big thank you to everyone here, for all the information, suggestions, and for pointing me in the right direction. I had pretty much given up on calling DISH again (after already having been on the phone a few times with them previously). But then, whaddya know! This was the call that sealed the deal!

Thank you, thank you ... for all the help, you guys. I can always count on the members here. This is the best Android forum out there! :)

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
FINALLY FIXED! I called DISH again, and we went over the issues for both my computer and phone. Firmware and broadcast cables checked -- all OK. After a whole bunch of pulling cables, rebooting, tweaking settings ... well, you know the drill ... we finally found the culprit: My Mom's Airport router for her Mac. It turns out that it wasn't needed in the first place, but never presented a problem until I upgraded from Win7 to Win10 and from DM to DM2.

I do believe the nightmare is over, and I'm no longer living in electronic hell! :)

A big thank you to everyone here, for all the information, suggestions, and for pointing me in the right direction. I had pretty much given up on calling DISH again (after already having been on the phone a few times with them previously). But then, whaddya know! This was the call that sealed the deal!

Thank you, thank you ... for all the help, you guys. I can always count on the members here. This is the best Android forum out there! :)
OK, so it wasn't the Dish router, but the Airport router that was not liking the new OS and new phone. In a nutshell, again it was a case of old equipment not playing nice with new equipment. The device to blame was an old router running outdated firmware which can't understand newer equipment protocols.

I'm pleased that the problem is finally resolved. To anyone who suddenly has new problems obtaining successful WiFi communications over existing equipment when a new device is introduced, the cause may very be outdated equipment that can't negotiate connections with the newer protocols.

Thank you @MaxxGrl for your persistence and diligent troubleshooting. Not only did your efforts result in the discovery of the cause and the solution for your situation, but you may also have helped countless people going forward by bringing it to our forum.

OP
MaxxGrl

MaxxGrl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
DROID MAXX 2
Well, FoxKat, you were right to "blame" the router! I shoulda known that little 'evil white box' under my desk would come to haunt me one day! LOL

All in all, though ... this has been fun -- in an excruciatingly painful kinda way! ;) I was going to by myself a new toy for Christmas, but since all my devices are "playing nice" with each other now (FoxKat), I think I'll just let things hang for a while. No sense in upsetting the apple cart during the holidays, right? ;)

Thanx again for everyone's help. I knew I could count on you guys. :)

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Well, FoxKat, you were right to "blame" the router! I shoulda known that little 'evil white box' under my desk would come to haunt me one day! LOL

All in all, though ... this has been fun -- in an excruciatingly painful kinda way! ;) I was going to by myself a new toy for Christmas, but since all my devices are "playing nice" with each other now (FoxKat), I think I'll just let things hang for a while. No sense in upsetting the apple cart during the holidays, right? ;)

Thanx again for everyone's help. I knew I could count on you guys. :)
Upset the "Apple" cart, huh?? LOL No pun intended, I presume? :D

Again, thanks for your contribution and thanks for being a great part of a great forum. It's people just like you that make this forum what it is, the best resource for Android devices, and with the most respectful and helpful membership of any forum I am aware of.

Now don't disappear on us! Please continue to participate and don't be afraid to jump in and lend a hand if you wish. Any help is better than none at all.

OP
MaxxGrl

MaxxGrl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
DROID MAXX 2
Upset the "Apple" cart, huh?? LOL No pun intended, I presume? :D

Again, thanks for your contribution and thanks for being a great part of a great forum. It's people just like you that make this forum what it is, the best resource for Android devices, and with the most respectful and helpful membership of any forum I am aware of.

Now don't disappear on us! Please continue to participate and don't be afraid to jump in and lend a hand if you wish. Any help is better than none at all.

Upset the "Apple" cart, huh??

3.gif

Good catch! How in the world did I not see that??? :rolleyes:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Upset the "Apple" cart, huh??

3.gif

Good catch! How in the world did I not see that??? :rolleyes:
Eh, you've had a lot on your plate.

I couldn't resist though! Had me laughing for sure.